Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buyvm anycast IPs - what do you use them for?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Buyvm anycast IPs - what do you use them for?

spammyspammy Member

Grabbed a VPS at each of the buyvm's location and got a set of anycast IP, spending money was easy :)

But now that I have the box, I am not sure what else I can use it for other than building my own DNS cluster. Is there something else someone has done with the anycast IP on 3 of the 128MB boxes? I am curious to see what are the ideas there and how could they be done. Of course in theory I can always set up a HA Wordpress, but syncing DB and contents directory using rSync and master-master replication is a bit of a PITA on the 128MB boxes. (unless I am not doing something right).

Thoughts?

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

We have quite a few people that setup NGINX w/ caching for static files. This is probably the most common along side DNS. You could do something with IRC too and replicate dalnet to a smaller degree.

We have a fairly large streaming user that's looking to 'destroy' things in the next couple months (once bandwidth pooling is in place), so we'll have to see where that goes.

Francisco

Thanked by 1spammy
  • @Francisco said:
    We have a fairly large streaming user that's looking to 'destroy' things in the next couple months (once bandwidth pooling is in place), so we'll have to see where that goes.

Francisco

Huh? what exactly do you mean by that?? thanks.

Mark_R said: Huh? what exactly do you mean by that?? thanks.

They're looking to push 300 - 500mbit/sec in their early stages of their video streaming, so it'll be the first big test of the anycast offering I guess ;)

Francisco

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @Francisco said:
    We have quite a few people that setup NGINX w/ caching for static files. This is probably the most common along side DNS. You could do something with IRC too and replicate dalnet to a smaller degree.

Nginx caching? Do you mean like having 3 128MB boxserving the static files through Nginx and having a 4th box serving the MySQL + dynamic contents via php?

Curious to see how is that one done...I guess it is more or less like building your own CDN kind of stuff...

edited April 2015

@spammy said:
    Curious to see how is that one done...I guess it is more or less like building your own CDN kind of stuff...

Correct, that's exactly it :)

The reason people did this is that at the time we had a 20gbit cap on our DDOS protection and many of them were getting floods bigger than that by a fair margin. Most of them ended up putting cloudflare infront of our old filtering, though, and this caused major issues with cloudflare getting rate limited/blocked/sites down yet it isn't, etc.

With the Voxility filtering in place almost everyone that was using cloudflare has stopped and just does their own caching. It's great, runs fantastic.

A 128MB can do a lot of caching w/o burning your RAM too hard. You can of course cap the RAM. For one of our users they have 200G - 400G of images that they have available, so the caches stay pretty hot around the 30 - 40GB mark (around 300MB RAM usage too).

Francisco