Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ThrustVPS aka DamnVPS closing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ThrustVPS aka DamnVPS closing

DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
edited April 2015 in General

Message on ThrustVPS control panel and main site.

It's a sad day today, but unfortunately it's time for ThrustVPS to end.

It's been a great run and we've enjoyed working with the wide variety of customers we've had over the past 5 years

From 2009 to 2011, I use thrustvps which help me to grown my $20/month earning website to a good business site.. in 2009 every other hosting company sell "windows vps" at very high price like $45/m but thrustvps sell same vps under very low and affordable price.
Thanks to thrustvps aka damnvps for their services but I don't like their silent decision like closing business without informing their customers.

Contact new provider before 1 May and don't forget to take a full backup of your data on your PC or other server(not on thrustvps server)

Thanked by 1evilghaleon

Comments

• Okay, I have to say it, it is quite hilarious you put this here with your signature at the bottom boasting cheap windows vps. I can't imagine that you would use this announcement as a method to drive up sales on your own product, would you?

LOL.

Cheers!

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Why do loads of providers close down rather than sell to a good company?

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited April 2015

thrustvps was bought out by IOMART no? Seems like they ran it to ground. After the buy out, it seems they were hacked several times or at least once, lots of frequent downtimes etc etc.

While we're sorry to be going, we have handed our systems over to VirtualServers.com who as a gesture of good will, will continue your services with 1 month free and 25% off for life if you contact them before 1st May 2015.

Lol p*ss off, this is another iomart brand. Just a way to clear the dirt of thrust brand

Edit. Infamous Rus Foster owned this brand and it seemed to do ok and was popular, bought out and destroyed by IOMart. Google thrustvps iomart and all the crap comes out.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • My first VPS from them.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2015

@TheLinuxBug said:
    Okay, I have to say it, it is quite hilarious you put this here with your signature at the bottom boasting cheap windows vps. I can't imagine that you would use this announcement as a method to drive up sales on your own product, would you?

LOL.

Cheers!

If I want to advertise then I can post my windows offer in "offer" section and they are only closing thrustvps and give their servers to other or similar company(iomart)

It will be helpful for me If they close their company and ask their users to take a backup and move to other host.

I post this so If any customer of thrustvps who don't know about this then they can contact new provider before losing their Important data.

• @TheLinuxBug said:
    Okay, I have to say it, it is quite hilarious you put this here with your signature at the bottom boasting cheap windows vps. I can't imagine that you would use this announcement as a method to drive up sales on your own product, would you?

It's hilarious for a business owner to take advantage of an opportunity to gain business? Is he holding a gun to anyone's head?

• Unfortunate truth is iomart accepted they messed it up, and decided to abandon ship... A few people inside iomart wanted to try and save the customers and asked us (an iomart brand customer) to help them... Hence VirtualServers...

The whole things a mess, we (the people left picking up the pieces) where given about 2 weeks to setup a new brand, replace hardware and get everyone moved, then had to spend most those 2 weeks getting access to the old hardware.

I'm a fan of the truth, probably going to get shit from someone either at iomart or here, but yeah, we're just gonna try and do our best for the ThrustVPS customers we managed to keep their VM's going for, we've got a few years experience with VM hosting, so hopefully we don't fudge this up.

• I too had a windows vps from thrustvps 2 years ago.. sad to see another company closing.

• Did existing clients have a chance to backup their data?

• VSPaulVSPaul Member
    edited April 2015

I don't think so honestly, according to a lot of clients they never got the emails sent to them telling them basically everything's on fire, grab your stuff and run...

Note: The ones who did, we got them new VM's up on the new platform as quick as we could so they could move their data.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited April 2015

VSPaul said: Unfortunate truth is iomart accepted they messed it up, and decided to abandon ship... A few people inside iomart wanted to try and save the customers and asked us (an iomart brand customer) to help them... Hence VirtualServers...

Can you explain?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:OQWHwR9c1kIJ:www.thrustvps.com/fast/+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Thrust::VPS and Damn::VPS are trading names of iomart Cloud Services Ltd

VirtualServers is ran by the same company name as above.

• VSPaulVSPaul Member
    edited April 2015

No, it's owned by the same company, ran by another entirely, right down to hardware spec choices.

So you know we're not affiliated with iomart directly, see Company #08401051 (UK), AS 201971, we're running the new brand because they admitted they couldn't, issue was the US providers contract ran out and wouldn't renew, the brand had shrunk so much they were getting bandwidth overage charges and it was haemorrhaging money.

We've got massive pools from under use from our existing business model, but of course, in what I, and they're pretty happy to admit, the US stuff was handled absolutely terribly, we needed at least a month.

Either way, we can't change what iomart did, but I wanted to make sure ThrustVPS customers know they'll get a month free and 25% off, on iomart's money, because they feel bad too, and we'll manage the service and handle everything, not them.

There's some really nice people at iomart, who bend over backwards to help, but I feel very... Mixed about this entire thing now, I personally feel really shitty over it.

We did try to migrate the US VM's, but Thrust's US network was so bad, it took 14 hours to move a single VM.

If you have any direct questions, feel free to mail me at [email protected], or if you're a ThrustVPS customer, [email protected], we'll do whatever we can to help you out, end of.

• SnapeSnape Member

Yeah, I'm one of those who didn't get any email. Sigh.

Surprised it lasted as long as it did, frankly. (It was a GigeVPS VM from July 2010, from before GigE was acquired/merged by Thrust.) Had quite good uptime, though the memory overcommitment was astounding. I recall not-very-fondly once checking the UBCs, and finding that I was allocating 49MB of the 512MB "guaranteed" - and that 37MB of that 49 was swapped. Was just too lazy to migrate. Even after Thrust jacked the price up at one point, sigh.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited April 2015

VSPaul said: No, it's owned by the same company, ran by another entirely, right down to hardware spec choices.

Doesn't make sense, the company who ran Thrust to the ground are still the owners of the new brand they suggest users move to. I guess you're an employer of that brand and they can fire you at anytime and run the brand down again?

(Going by the footer: iomart Cloud Services Limited)

VSPaul said: we're running the new brand because they admitted they couldn't

They somehow manage several data-centers but can't manage what probably was a tiny equivalent VM brand?

• Oh wow, I'm glad I bumped into this topic, as I didn't get any email either.
    The suggestion of moving to another brand of iomart, whilst leaving current customers in the dark/handling this so poorly, is a joke.

• VSPaulVSPaul Member
    edited April 2015

@Patrick said:
    They somehow manage several data-centers but can't manage what probably was a tiny equivalent VM brand?

Each company has it's focus, theirs is most definitely not low-profit virtual servers, I may not agree with the handling, but I cannot blame them for wanting shift resources to what makes them lots more money.

Patrick said: Doesn't make sense, the company who ran Thrust to the ground are still the owners of the new brand they suggest users move to. I guess you're an employer of that brand and they can fire you at anytime and run the brand down again?

This is why they gave it to us to run :) And they most definitely don't employ me, I am a customer of theirs in all honesty.

I'm not sure if you looked up the company number I provided, but we're running it, it's just owned by them, it's a partnership, clearly advertised on the about page, and I am the Managing Director of the other company involved.

This won't ever happen again, I can guarantee it, because we pay for the hardware and then invoice iomart, so even if they pulled out, we would handle it entirely from there.

I'll even tell you ontop of this, check who owns the address space the virtualservers site runs on, on RIPE.

Aleksio said: Oh wow, I'm glad I bumped into this topic, as I didn't get any email either. The suggestion of moving to another brand of iomart, whilst leaving current customers in the dark/handling this so poorly, is a joke.

Handling was terrible, we (at our end) did the best we could in what we was given, but it should've been at least a month longer than it was, but if I was you I'd take up the free service at least to try it out while you shop around for a replacement provider.

I consider a fair few people at iomart to be friends, but I do not condone how the company handled this, and almost wish I had never been a part of it, but the truth is, if I wasn't, none of Thrusts customers would have any virtual servers at all left right now.

TLDR; I don't condone the handling by iomart, however I can guarantee the same thing can't happen again.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

DewlanceVPS said: It's a sad day today, but unfortunately it's time for ThrustVPS to end.

Briefly used them several years ago.

Horrible host. Crappy service. Incompetent owners.

Glad to see them go.

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS
  • VSPaulVSPaul Member
    edited April 2015

@raindog308 said:
    Glad to see them go.

I actually agree to an extent, my own business started as reselling their VPS'

Support was terrible, service was unreliable :( It took us less than 2 months before we started doing it all ourselves.

I don't think there's anything else I can say now honestly, so I'll check back in a few days :)

• @VSPaul said:
    This won't ever happen again, I can guarantee it, because we pay for the hardware and then invoice iomart, so even if they pulled out, we would handle it entirely from there.

I wouldn't recommend making such promises. You're just inviting troubles by overlooking your station.

Read rules 24 and 27 from this list, please. Althought it's most a joke, these 2 rules should be strictly abidden by all hosters.

• I am one of the poor customers of ThurstVPS that has never been told to make a backup and I lost EVERYTHING.

Now IOMart rebrands the product under "VirtualServers" and expects me, to give them my money again. This is very unprofessional an unethical.
    I hope your brand burns, just like you burned my data.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

fsamir said: I am one of the poor customers of ThurstVPS that has never been told to make a backup and I lost EVERYTHING.

That's why you are supposed to make backups without being told to. I had to learn that the semi hard way,too (had backup but not very recent). Then, when my uniwebhosting server disappeared 10 days ago, all I had to do was run ./install.sh on a new server and I was good to go.

• FrogfootFrogfoot Member
    edited April 2015

I LOST EVERYTHING TOO AND ASKING THEM TO TURN THEIR VM BACK SO I WOULD GET MY DATA BACK.

Will you help me @VSPaul ?

• Not surprised this has happened. I had around 300 active services with them at some point when Rus ran it (I don't think he owned it).

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2015

Iomart terminate all US based VPSs without any prior notification and switch from thrustvps to another new domain. (nothing changed but its a good trick to fool their customers)

Cost of your data for IOMART = 0000