Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ever been scammed by a LEB/LET host?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ever been scammed by a LEB/LET host?

IshaqIshaq Member
edited September 2012 in General

Were you ever scammed by a LEB/LET host? and if so, by who?

Comments

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Were you?

• Nope :P

• One tried to scam me last week when they said they where stopping selling VPS and no refunds would be done. All it took was reminding him that he had to refund in line with the Cooling off law. But i would also see him in court if he refused.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited September 2012

Yes of course. Sometimes we're aware of risk but try it anyway. That way some of us ended up with great long term stable VPSs which would cost us today much much more and sometimes we just lose some dollar.
    It's not that much about money (it's just few coins) than about common sense (you obviously won't host important things with risky newcomers) and time you're prepared to invest (and potentially lose) into every individual vps.

• Been scammed many years ago by a particular host, from that point onward I've always paid monthly (yearly if I trust the provider).

• Nope, never planning on it ever.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

It's always a gamble. Sometimes you feel stupid, other times you were in on the ground floor of a great company. People were skeptical of BuyVM. Plenty of terrible sounding business plans worked. Things aren't always what they seem. Then, sometimes, they're exactly what they seem.

But to answer your question, no ;)

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Yes, cripperz guy

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • well being a virpus customers is almost the same as being scammed

the vps was so overloaded that just conect with putty was taking ages .
    Unusable Vps + No refund

Lost 4-5$ no big deal

• @qwerty6666 said: well being a virpus customers is almost the same as being scammed

Lots of Virpus hate around here. Do they deserve it? Maybe.

• RandyRandy Member
    edited September 2012

Chripperz is still in business LOL . Dispite scamming people

• eNetSouth. The shit hit the fan the day I paid the second invoice. But PayPal gave it back so it wasn't too bad.

• Personally, yes.

The "Gigabit" connection managed 100kb/s on a good day.

• rgenzonrgenzon Member
    edited September 2012

Yes. I paid for an SSL certificate from a host which was never installed.

• Well, scammed is a big word, but yes. Even after my thorough background check and the fact that the guy was somewhat well-known in the UK, he still turned out a mrn when it came to web hosting. Service unstable as hell and when I wanted a refund, nobody was home. Eventually I got the refund, but it was a painful process.

• @netomx said: cripperz guy

is that the same as cripperz.sg?

I have been scammed by RackVM but I found a good host later (VooServers.com)

• RandyRandy Member
    edited September 2012

@Asim said: is that the same as cripperz.sg?

yes. LOL Computer repair lol. might be just another scam

• @Asim said: I have been scammed by RackVM but I found a good host later (VooServers.com)

Did anyone ever get any info about the guy? or even a refund?

• Not exactly got scammed because I got what I paid for when paid yearly for FEHosting, my VPS was still running even their website didn't work for months, used 10/12 months :D

• @DanielM said: But i would also see him in court if he refused.

For 7$? Please send me your lawyers contact info. I have a bunch of kids I need to chase for stealing my money.

Thanked by 1Randy
  • Nope, never. The only bad experience I've had with a host was when I got an AlienVPS box... regretted that.

Last week a UK VPS provider on here charged me VAT on an invoice which I accidentally paid without checking up. They aren't a registered company, and thus not even vat registered so were pocketing it for themselves.

Sent the owner an email, disabled the vat and gave me a refund a few days later.

• Well cheap kiddie hosts with like $12/year plan will usually run away after a few month, so you'll actually be paying like $3-4 per month. I got "scammed" twice like that lol

• Only by that Cripperz guy.

• eNetSouth here as well.

• Thanks for all the comments and experiences.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I have been scammed many times in the idea that i didnt get what i was promissed.
    But this goes with the trade, you must first test to see if the ads are real.
    In the sense of being scammed for money and not get anything or only for some time, yes, I remember some obscure UK company that took my money and refused to deliver the VPS because I didnt want to give them scans and stuff. I said, OK, give me the money back and they kept asking for scans to do that also... Dont remember the name, was some 4-5 years ago, but I remember the amount, 3.95 pounds.
    Others failed but none willingly.
    I pay for a month, usually, only from Edis and a couple of others bought for a year, so it is not much. Yes, I did lose half a month for eNS too.
    All in all, it was all expected and didnt lose more than say, 30 Eur in 10 years or more.
    M

• Yep Cripperz here too.

Also had similar experience to others here with Alien VPS but my server is still there and works sometimes. Will be letting that expire for sure as its bloody useless.

Only services I pay yearly for now are from BuyVM and Secure Dragon. Actually i would pay annually to bHost for my platinum vm as well if I had the cash up front.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Deor said: but my server is still there and works sometimes

That is so cool :D
    M

• @Asim said: I have been scammed by RackVM but I found a good host later (VooServers.com)

My first VPS was with RackVM. After that I have got (more or less) what I payed for from all hosts I have tried.

@DanielM said: Did anyone ever get any info about the guy? or even a refund?

Google checkout refunded my last payment that was payed a few days before the disappearance.

• bcrawfordbcrawford Member
    edited September 2012

@ihatetonyy

PayPal did not give you a penny. I did. Every claim was paid out. Even the ones who were 28 days in to a 30 day deal and raped their fare share of bandwidth... Yeah -- no one wants to talk about that do they?

I was with a host that assumed it was epic to take control of a server they knew damn good and well handled they daily business end of the deal. They were able to do so because of my trust in them in providing the support with a admin password. So they logged in and changed the password. Yet, failed to find the SFTP service running on a non standard port. I have screen shots and the data dump of it all. My attorney tells me not to post it publicly but the the history of them logged in and every keystroke logged and HTTP logs of them pouring through it locally .. It's really amazing.

How bad do you guys want to see it?