Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

200+ VPS Machines in one Node - I/O Speed - Raid10 - What to do?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

200+ VPS Machines in one Node - I/O Speed - Raid10 - What to do?

BuyAdsBuyAds Member

Hello Guys!

I got inspired by some guys posting about PBN (Private Blog Network) and id like to make it also. I have a great idea about.

All I need is to create 200+ VPS Machines in one Server. I will run Wordpress and daily backups in every node ex: VPS1 will backup at VPS2 - VPS2 will backup at VPS3 and so on..
Also in some VPS will run Windows.

Server info:

CPU: Intel Xeon
E5-1650v2
6c/12t 3,5 GHz+/3,9 GHz+
RAM: 128 GB DDR3 ECC 1600MHz
Disks: 2x 2 TB SATA3

I got a tip from a LET member that if am running so much VPS in one server the IO speed will get lost and the node will go down. He said I should split the IO in more disks ex. Raid10

Now I want to do Raid10 with 3 disks (yes it is possible).

Now the main question:

I want to create the Raid10 in those disks:

HardRAID LSI 9271-4i CacheVault 1 GB 3 x 2 TB SATA3 6 Gbps

Does the LSI technologie helps the IO Speed? Or is something for the RAM? No idea.

Waiting for your valued reply.

Thank you!

Comments

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited April 2015

I am sorry but that won't work (200 machines on the same server for the same PBN). For those blogs to work seo-wise you need something else. I am available for paid consulting should you need it.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

RAID10 with 3 disks? How so? That wouldn't be RAID10 but RAID5.

The IO will be terrible if you're not running any sort of cache.

CacheVault helps but not that much.

If some VPS will run Windows, that means you won't be able to run OpenVZ (unless you install it on top of KVM or something), if you go for OpenVZ, enable ploop, it helps a bit.

I'd rethink that strategy, honesty. :)

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

OVH + KVM Good luck , but whats the use of replicating vps backups among other vps if the disk crashes u loose the data anyway no matter hw many vps u make

• Thank you guys.

Yes it is possible to do Raid10 with 3 drives. You may also read here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=893008

Yes, its enuogh another IP to take effect the SEO.

Will be KVM with virtualizor.

• @BuyAds said:
    Hello Guys!

I got inspired by some guys posting about PBN (Private Blog Network) and id like to make it also. I have a great idea about.

All I need is to create 200+ VPS Machines in one Server.

Wtf? Why? Are you going to host other people's sites on your PBN?

• BruceBruce Member

have you considered running multiple blogs per VPS ? less VPS, more content on each VPS. or is there's a reason to run so many VPS ?

• It's not possible to do RAID 10 with 3 disks.

And 200 VPSes running on a node like that won't work well, especially when you have HDD.

• Guys, I need only a solution about the IO speed.

@BuyAds said:
    Thank you guys.

Yes it is possible to do Raid10 with 3 drives. You may also read here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=893008

Yes, its enuogh another IP to take effect the SEO.

Will be KVM with virtualizor.

That's RAID1E, not RAID10. Plus, it's only possible with md raid.

• 200 VPS on RAID 10 even with 4 drives is likely to struggle, 4 SSDs and RAID 10, maybe. If you're looking at standard HDDs and RAID 10 you're probably looking at 6 or more drives, but even then you're likely to bottleneck somewhere else, like the processor. You're going to be much better off splitting your VPS between multiple nodes and backing up to a remote location as well, backing up on the same physical hardware isn't the best of ideas.

@BuyAds said:
    Guys, I need only a solution about the IO speed.

Get true RAID10, Hardware + 1 SSD for cache, then use flashcache.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited April 2015

8x 7200RPM disks in RAID 10 with a good card, and possibly some type of RAM or SSD cache and you will be fine with 200+ OpenVZ containers on a dual E5.

Don't bother with anything less...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • TrafficTraffic Member
    edited April 2015

Why are you opening a thread asking for "valued replies" if you just want people to say "Congratulations, great idea, do it"?

BuyAds said: Yes, its enuogh another IP to take effect the SEO.

Yes, it will have effect. Not a good one, but an effect regardless :)

@Bruce said:
    have you considered running multiple blogs per VPS ? less VPS, more content on each VPS. or is there's a reason to run so many VPS ?

He thinks that's what a PBN is about, or that it will help it.

@OP: Here is what you want to hear: Congratulations, great idea, do it!

Thanked by 2MikePT jvnadr
  • @linuxthefish said:
    8x 7200RPM disks in RAID 10 with a good card, and possibly some type of RAM or SSD cache and you will be fine with 200+ OpenVZ containers on a dual E5.

What about SSD Drives?

Full SSD RAID5 or 10(1E) or Raid1 3 x 300 GB SSD Intel DC S3K

@linuxthefish said:

Indeed.

• @BuyAds said:

No

• BuyAds said: What about SSD Drives?

I used to manage a RAID5 cPanel node with all SSD's, I don't recommend it sorry. Full RAID10 would be fine on a good card, definitely.

• How many VPS you recommend to run with:

3 x 300 GB SSD Intel DC S3K (Raid5)

and how many with:
    HardRAID LSI 9271-4i CacheVault 1 GB 3 x 2 TB SATA3 6 Gbps (Raid5)

edited April 2015

3x300GB SSD - 80 OpenVZ

HardRAID LSI 9271-4i CacheVault 1 GB 3 x 2 TB SATA3 6 Gbps (Raid5) - 40 OpenVZ

• IO speed is better on SSD or SAS Drives?

• WSCallumWSCallum Member
    edited April 2015

@BuyAds said:
    How many VPS you recommend to run with:

and how many with:
    HardRAID LSI 9271-4i CacheVault 1 GB 3 x 2 TB SATA3 6 Gbps (Raid5)

If you're stuck on purchasing from OVH go with their 'Big Data' range so you can customize it. Get something like 8 HDDs with Hardware RAID and CacheCade, you can then have the 8 drives in RAID 10 and an SSD for caching, that should perform fine depending on usage.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @BuyAds said:
    IO speed is better on SSD or SAS Drives?

SSD by an enormous margin - You need SSD's.

@BuyAds said:
    IO speed is better on SSD or SAS Drives?

Definitely.

• @WSCallum said:
    If you're stuck on purchasing from OVH go with their 'Big Data' range so you can customize it. Get something like 8 HDDs with Hardware RAID and CacheCade, you can then have the 8 drives in RAID 10 and an SSD for caching, that should perform fine depending on usage.

That is to much. Out of that I want to spent.

What's your budget?

• BuyAds said: How many VPS you recommend to run with:

RAID 5 you will see a performance decrease, even with some sort of cache. Personally I think RAID10 with 4 drives would be better than RAID5 with 3x SSD's.

You might be good for 50-80, if you don't run out of space!

• If you're running 200 of your own blogs, just run them from the same dedicated server? You're getting no benefit from virtualizing each one.

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • @iwaswrongonce said:
    If you're running 200 of your own blogs, just run them from the same dedicated server? You're getting no benefit from virtualizing each one.

Agree

• I need for every blog different IP. Thats the point.

edited April 2015

Huh?

Then get an OVH server with 200+ IP's and add a unique IP to each website..??

What's the point for VPS which would add a huge overhead? You can do this for $100 / $120.

Thanked by 2Traffic netomx
This discussion has been closed.