Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RamNode switching Staminus to Black Lotus
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RamNode switching Staminus to Black Lotus

perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
edited April 2015 in Providers

This message is to clients with our Staminus filtered IPs. Since the problems mentioned previously have not been fixed, we are moving the filtering to another provider. We have signed up with Black Lotus and are hoping to have everything switched over within 24 hours. We do not anticipate any downtime beyond maybe a small blip or two (each a few seconds) as part of the process. Hopefully you will see immediate improvement after everything is done, but we will be working closely with Black Lotus over the next few weeks to quickly resolve any issues that may arise. Top priority is making sure the filtered IPs are stable again. Black Lotus has invested a lot of money into their new Arbor mitigation system, so we are expecting good things once that is fully integrated.

The few of you using the Staminus reverse proxy system will need to switch back to just using your filtered IP. Please open a ticket if needed so that we can work with you individually on that particular issue.

Thank you again for your patience and continued support. If you need anything in the meantime, please contact us via support ticket.

Regards,

Nick
[email protected]

Per https://clientarea.ramnode.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=85 Staminus is used in all but Seattle location.

Comments

• If this will be like OVH mitigation, this will be a major fuckup.

• so when voxility comes into play to replace everyone on the filtering end as per buyvm example ?

• Black Lotus isn't better than staminus/voxility?

My experience with staminus was far better than with voxility :)

• WInternt said: Black Lotus isn't better than staminus/voxility?

In terms of filtering Blacklotus is pretty bad at the current state.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

They're migrating because they said they had some filtering issues with Staminus; if Black Lotus really has more problems then they'll probably migrate back, but I'm sure they've researched it well and believe it'll yield better performance.

• WInterntWInternt Member
    edited April 2015

@perennate said:
    but I'm sure they've researched it well and believe it'll yield better performance.

Yeah...

@tr1cky said:
    In terms of filtering Blacklotus is pretty bad at the current state.

I had a VPS with 1 gameserver + 1 voice server on an host using Voxility, and I was always down... I know some people using other host that uses Voxility (for voice servers) and they had many problems in the last week.

I only had some problems with Staminus, and a small downtime (very few).

• perennate said: They're migrating because they said they had some filtering issues with Staminus; if Black Lotus really has more problems then they'll probably migrate back, but I'm sure they've researched it well and believe it'll yield better performance.

Well, I highly respect RamNode but I don't think this will work out.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • MunMun Member

Personally, and nothing against @francisco, but I have had a few major and lumbering problems with Vox, though, I have also had my fair share of problems with Staminus.

Honestly, I dont think there is any really good DDOS protection providers.

• Mun said: I have had a few major and lumbering problems with Vox

WIth a reseller or with Voxility directly?

• Mun said: Honestly, I dont think there is any really good DDOS protection providers.

Prolexic and Verisign are just not budget providers...

• Interesting, always thought of Black Lotus being good but just insanely expensive. Hopefully it works out. - Can't say I've ever used it from personal experience.

Never really had any issues with Voxility's filter apart from when you actually started to get hit then it'd flicker and everything would become unstable momentarily then fix itself.

• MunMun Member

@tr1cky said:
    WIth a reseller or with Voxility directly?

Buyvm

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Mun said: Buyvm

Lets not derail this thread :) I'm done my easter dinner so i'm looking over your ticket. I think it's unrelated to Voxility though.

Francisco

Thanked by 1HyperSpeed
  • @Mun said:
    Personally, and nothing against francisco, but I have had a few major and lumbering problems with Vox, though, I have also had my fair share of problems with Staminus.

Honestly, I dont think there is any really good DDOS protection providers.

There are some good protection providers. However "perfect" provider simply doesn't exist especially in ddos protection industry. Every provider has their strong areas and weak areas, including Prolexic and Verisign.
    As a provider, we can only try to make every customer happy, but there will always be unsatisfied customers.

• Is the Black Lotus filtering offer is with higher Gbps / PPS

• Nice to hear Ramnode is moving to Black Lotus :)

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Nice to see some diversity. I look forward to seeing if BL have improved since we last tested them.

• I've had issues before with Staminus migration and ramnode, I hope this improves things!

• MunMun Member

@Francisco said:

From what you stated in my ticket that is possible, I have been getting rampant alerts all over Fiberhub at certain times of the day. Hope they get it resolved soon.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@perennate said:
    They're migrating because they said they had some filtering issues with Staminus; if Black Lotus really has more problems then they'll probably migrate back, but I'm sure they've researched it well and believe it'll yield better performance.

Yeah, we won't be there long if it doesn't work.

coolice said: Is the Black Lotus filtering offer is with higher Gbps / PPS

The PPS limit will be higher, Gbps the same for now. We'll put more info on our website once it's done.

Thanked by 2MikePT coolice
  • sonicsonic Veteran

Do Black Lotus provide HTTP floods/Layer 7 protection

• @SplitIce , you as Voxility client, had any problems with their filters? I supose not.. Don't know how Voxility filters are on US nodes, but here in Romania, are very stable and good.

• J1021J1021 Member

I installed transmission on a VPS of mine with Voxility protection this morning. I started to download a torrent at 4MB/s and it triggered the Voxility filtering. They seem to drop all ICMP and UDP whenever filtering.

• nexmarknexmark Member
    edited April 2015

@sonic said:
    Do Black Lotus provide HTTP floods/Layer 7 protection

I'm almost positive they do, as they keep showing off their patented behavior based system

https://www.blacklotus.net/learn/technology/

• @Nick_A said:

Will Black Lotus be worth a damn when handling game servers? Just generally curious, was looking into doing a gre tunnel or two.

catalystium said: Will Black Lotus be worth a damn when handling game servers? Just generally curious, was looking into doing a gre tunnel or two.

If they're not, we won't be there long.

Thanked by 1catalystium
  • I hope it works and doesn't increase latency :)

• @Nick_A are you getting it in all locations?

rds100 said: @Nick_A are you getting it in all locations?

Everywhere but Seattle for now.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • @Nick_A said:

Thanks, do you guys do customized plans (like low ram / cpu / disk but more bandwidth)? Or would I have to go by the tiers you have listed, don't have much use for 4GB ram / 120GB storage when I'm only going for 4-5TB bandwidth.