Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Small idea, but not sure about the practicality.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Small idea, but not sure about the practicality.

SimpleNodeSimpleNode Member
edited September 2012 in General

Server with 8 port RAID card. 6x 128GB SSDs in RAID 0. Server also has 2x 1TB HDDs in mdadm or hardware RAID1. A scheduled script will copy all data from the RAID 0 array to the HDDs every, say, 30 minutes. These will be "delta", so only changes are copied.

Practicality of this? Who would buy a VPS with this setup just for the insane I/O?

(OS would be on the RAID1 array)

We'll probably never do this, but I'm wondering.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

If you'd throw in 32 CPU cores I would ;)

• That is going to be one heck of a setup! Expensive. Only issue, RAID 0. If that is the case, why not throw 8 WD on raid0? Cheaper and almost same quality?

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Even I have to ask what the point of that would be?... Insane I/O can be accomplished in much simpler (ironic) ways.

• Just built this in Incero's order form...

Turns out 8x 128GB SSDs in hardware RAID 10 is cheaper.

/thread

• I prefer a RAID 10 of SSD's instead of RAID 0, just 4 SSD's needed.
    Add 2 hardrives in RAID 1 for backups and extra (but slow and reliable) storage to your user's.

• Just an idea - if you put the 6x SSDs in software RAID0, and the 2X1T HDDs on the hardware RAID card - most probably overall everything will be faster.

• pcanpcan Member
    edited September 2012

The Raid card will be the bottleneck; I guess you will hardly get more than the performance of a single SSD. If you are seeking for the highest possible disk througput, go for a Pci express SSD card; you will avoid the SATA/SAS interface bottleneck. Regarding the data protection, at the moment I found no conclusive proof that a enterprise SSD drive is less reliable than a Raid controller chip, so Raid 0 could be a viable option.

• Good Enterprise PCI-E SSD are expensive, at least $5/GB.