Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What should "Server Hardening" include.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What should "Server Hardening" include.

Hello All -

As we see all the time in the web hosting business, we see the word "Server Hardening" which doesn't always mean the same thing depending on which company you goto.

What do you think server hardening should mean if your provider is to offer it.

Comments

• to me, it means using a hardened kernel (e.g. grsecurity) as minimum. mandatory access control (apparmor, selinux) should also be fully enabled.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2015

"Server Hardening" should include a detailed list of what they will perform. Any company worth anything that offers this service will have both a detailed list for the client to see before they purchase as well as a checklist and audit to deliver to the client once it is complete.

EDIT: ServerWizards are a good example of what companies should provide clients before they purchase Server Hardening: http://serverwizards.com/security.php

EDIT2: I don't hate ServerWizards, I was thinking of another company (SeeksAdmin).