Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

online.net new promo E3-1240v3 32G 2x600SAS 29.99EUR NO SETUP FEE - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

online.net new promo E3-1240v3 32G 2x600SAS 29.99EUR NO SETUP FEE

Comments

• NomadNomad Member
    edited March 2015

@gsrdgrdghd said:
    isaacl keep in mind that you might need some hacks to get the failover IP working correctly. They give you some random IP and tell you to set the subnet mask to /32 (or /0) and set an IP in your server's main subnet as the gateway. Many firewall solutions are really unhappy with /32s or /0s and won't allow it (e.g. VyOS doesn't)

This is how I got mine which I got to choose from a list of 6.

#Online.net Failover IP Setup
    auto eth0:0  
    iface eth0:0 inet static
    address 195.154.XX.YY
    netmask 255.255.255.255
    gateway 195.154.XX.1

• Realizing that I want to connect this server to a vCenter instance, so I need a public IP on ESXi anyway.
    Guess I'll order a failover IP, only question is if it's worth waiting until tomorrow...

• Finally got one. I always missed this kind of offer before :x

• DylanDylan Member
    edited March 2015

@isaacl said:
    Dylan - how can you order 13 IPs? Which service level did you get?

I don't know why, honestly. I just have the basic service level. Maybe the failover allowance is shared if you have multiple Online.net servers (which I do)? That's my best guess, especially since @iKocka said he could order 7.

• Gotcha.
    The order page (http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-LE2k1517#services) shows that you can only order 1 failover IP, so I guess that's officially what it comes with...

• DylanDylan Member
    edited March 2015

@isaacl said:
    Gotcha.
    The order page (http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-LE2k1517#services) shows that you can only order 1 failover IP, so I guess that's officially what it comes with...

I just checked the failover order page again, and now I can order 14. It's the same on all my servers. I'm thinking the allowance must be shared between them and that, like you, the one failover from this special wasn't showing up earlier.

Kind of weird there's no way to see what each server lets you have.

• earlearl Member

I think the amount of fail over IPS you are allowed to have depends on the server you purchase.. From the last deal the order page states I can order 5 fail over IP per server, since I purchased two server my fail over IP on the control panel is set at 10.. If I recall maybe the nano allows you to purchase 3 additional fail over IP so maybe that's how @dylan got the 13 limit

• DylanDylan Member
    edited March 2015

@earl said:
    I think the amount of fail over IPS you are allowed to have depends on the server you purchase.. From the last deal the order page states I can order 5 fail over IP per server, since I purchased two server my fail over IP on the control panel is set at 10.. If I recall maybe the nano allows you to purchase 3 additional fail over IP so maybe that's how dylan got the 13 limit

FWIW, I have three Kidechires, one 4814, one 1115, one 1215, and one of these 201517s.

If the Kidechires allow three each, that's nine, so maybe the 4814 allows two and the newer specials all allow one?

• Nomad said: This is how I got mine which I got to choose from a list of 6.

Yeah, the standard /etc/network/interfaces configuration works fine but in my experience the firewall distros i've tried (pfSense, IPFire, VyOS) don't support it by default. For both IPFire and VyOS i've had to manually add routing entries and edit the network configuration.

At least for VyOS this is a known issue:

The bug with recursive routes via addresses not on the same subnet is not fixed. This affects customers of companies like OVH, online.net and some others that issue /32 addressses to customers. The workaround is to create a route to the gateway manually with sudo ip route add x.x.x.x/32 dev ethX, you can put it in /config/scripts/vyatta-postconfig-bootup.script to make it permanent.

http://blog.vyos.net/post/99607428923/1-1-0-release

• Any instructions on how to do this with pfSense?
    Thanks.

• RizRiz Member

@gsrdgrdghd said:
    This setup will lead to problems though if your router VM fails to boot for some reason as you won't be able to reach ESX without iLO.

I tried this last night and hit problems still. I didn't get a chance to spoof the MAC through pfsense yet. Do you have this working already?

• earlearl Member

@dylan

Not sure how many FO you get with the kidechire.. I was talking about the old nano offer if I recalled I think it was 3 but could be wrong.

• Riz said: I tried this last night and hit problems still. I didn't get a chance to spoof the MAC through pfsense yet. Do you have this working already?

You need to change the MAC address in VMWare in this form.

isaacl said: Any instructions on how to do this with pfSense? Thanks.

Idk, i gave up on Pfsense and used IPFire (which worked with manual workarounds) and VyOS (which i like more than IPFire) later.

Thanked by 1Riz
  • Is it any better to switch the primary IP off of the ESXi server then, and use that instead?

• Too bad re: their IP limitations. Will they announce 3rd party IPs?

• No, they won't.

• NomadNomad Member

IP's can be outsourced as well though...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

HostNun said: Will they announce 3rd party IPs?

That's like asking if Walmart will haggle with you over prices.

Thanked by 1TheCTS
  • @William why not?

@rm_ I don't understand the analogy. I would never buy an IP for 1.99€ so either way I'm renting the server with no IPs (if I were to). In other words it's a Kierkegaardian either/or: allow 3rd party IPs or lose the sale entirely. There's no haggling to speak of. :)

• NomadNomad Member
    edited March 2015

@HostNun said: or lose the sale entirely. There's no haggling to speak of. :)

C'mon... With that prices, that machines... They do have to earn money you know...
    Of course they are going to sell the IP's at an expensive price. The more you need, the more you pay.
    This is like the mobile games. Give it free/cheap and ask micropayments for other useful stuff. And no, you can't complete a quest to get the item this time.

Thanked by 1Riz
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2015

HostNun said: I don't understand the analogy.

The analogy is in that you don't even begin to understand what Online.net (or OVH for that matter) are, and the key principles of their operation. Which are almost complete automation, complete standardisation, making operation costs low and ensuring they can offer nice deals like these, as long as the user is satisfied with what's on offer (and if not, you simply don't buy, it's take it or leave it). Nobody is going to go out of their way to personally configure BGP for you with your IPs on your 30 EUR server.

HostNun said: or lose the sale entirely.

Such tragedy, I bet they're going to chase you and ask you to return, after all it's not like this offer went out of stock in a couple of hours.

Thanked by 4Riz Lee HostNun TheCTS
  • It is kind of funny how some providers don't have to post any offers on LET ... the offers just post themselves.

Thanked by 1HostNun
  • @HostNun said:
    William why not?

rm_ I don't understand the analogy. I would never buy an IP for 1.99€ so either way I'm renting the server with no IPs (if I were to). In other words it's a Kierkegaardian either/or: allow 3rd party IPs or lose the sale entirely. There's no haggling to speak of. :)

The speed they sold out so you think they need to worry about losing one sale?

For average company it would matter, but they focus on mass market and being as automatic / low admin costs as possible.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited March 2015

This was not answered by them - I asked for announce with the most expensive service level (which even allows HW customization) and an expensive server but no dice.

• HostNunHostNun Member
    edited March 2015

@Nomad I'm not disputing their practices and pricing, that's none of my business. I was only saying what I personally would and wouldn't do.

To the extent that there are people who want/need bulk allocations rather than to play the 1.99€ per IP game, my point was that they might gain some business in allowing 3rd party IPs. Whether they want that kind of business or have the means to facilitate it, I wouldn't know.

@rm_ said:
    The analogy is in that you don't even begin to understand what Online.net (or OVH for that matter) are, and the key principles of their operation. Which are almost complete automation, complete standardisation, making operation costs low and ensuring they can offer nice deals like these, as long as the user is satisfied with what's on offer (and if not, you simply don't buy, it's take it or leave it).

Right, so the haggling analogy made no sense at all.

@geekalot said:
    It is kind of funny how some providers don't have to post any offers on LET ... the offers just post themselves.

Must be part of the complete automation process.

@AshleyUk said:
    The speed they sold out so you think they need to worry about losing one sale?

I never suggested they would have to worry about losing a sale!

Alright defensive Online.net crew, who's next? I'm ready to fight, put up your dukes.

EDIT: @rm_ It would not be limited to 30 EUR servers.

• wychwych Member

@William said:
    This was not answered by them - I asked for announce with the most expensive service level (which even allows HW customization) and an expensive server but no dice.

Thats the response I got too.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited March 2015

I highly suggest activating EXPERT mode in the Online.net CP (button on the top right).

Thanked by 3rm_ iKeyZ tridinebandim
  • NomadNomad Member

@Dylan said:
    I highly suggest activating EXPERT mode in the Online.net CP (button on the top right).

Wow... A batch of free stuff came with it.
    Thanks mate, the expert mode is like magic.

• @rm_ said:
    Such tragedy, I bet they're going to chase you and ask you to return, after all it's not like this offer went out of stock in a couple of hours.

Yeesh, I don't know what the deal is with you drama queens. No, it wouldn't be much of a tragedy if they lost my business, lol.

Anyway, I was asking if they allowed for 3rd party IPs in general so I would know whether or not to consider them in the future. The question had nothing to do with this offer in particular.

• @HostNun did you get any info about Online.net allow 3rd party IPs or not?

This discussion has been closed.