Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any dedicated server providers like Online.net?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any dedicated server providers like Online.net?

sumosumo Member
edited March 2015 in General

Are there any dedicated server providers like Online.net in the US or Canada? I already have some at Online.net, looking for ones in North America. I'm not in any immediate need for one, but in the next couple of months would be good.

No resellers (I don't want another layer between the provider and me, regardless of the reputation), no colocation at this point, and preference to not have RTO. I don't have specs or a price point yet, just looking for providers for future research. Just a note, my previous specs were E1230, 32GB, 240GB SSD, 50TB @ 1 Gbps.

Specifically, I'm looking for a provider that has excellent longevity, reputation, network, uptime, and customer services at a reasonable price. Yes, I want it all. If no such provider in North America exist, I'd prefer to not get a service than to waste my time.

I recently ended my dedicated server subscriptions at a provider because I didn't like their customer service. I was with them for six months. Their network, uptime, and prices were good, but the reply to the last ticket I submitted made me want to completely cut ties with them. I'm a believer in excellent customer service for all types of industries and I will walk if I don't receive that.

Before anyone goes on a tangent, I submitted a total of six tickets: four in the first week of my subscription to get things set up, one a few months later because of a IPMI reset request, and the last one was two days ago. There was no mail of any sort sent from the servers and network traffic was well below my allotment.

For the next provider, I'd like to deal with a system that's more automated in terms of provisioning and billing, but would have a live person as needed. It's like the bank, standing in line in the past was annoying, ATM proliferation is great with the occasional need to interact with a live person.

Ideally, I'd like to deal with a provider whose customers are primarily responsible businesses or mature individuals. I feel many providers have customers who act fraudulently or act like children. When I interact with those providers, they reply with an attitude as if they're speaking to such a customer, which I take offense to, because I most certainly am not such a customer.

Thank you for taking the time to read the post.

Thanked by 2Nekki geekalot

Comments

• PM me your needs, Delimiter can definitely help you with this.

• @kimjungsong said:
    Try colocrossing better servers.

What the hell?

• kimjungsong said: Try colocrossing better servers.

however much i dislike CC i can agree with this comment.

• @MarkTurner said:
    PM me your needs, Delimiter can definitely help you with this.

Will have to +1 this, Delimter is an excellent dedicated server provider.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • Well for customer support Delimiter still falls short for me. A ticket to get more ip's was open for 25 days before I got a reply.

• @thharris said:
    Well for customer support Delimiter still falls short for me. A ticket to get more ip's was open for 25 days before I got a reply.

It's not support, it's sales. Believe me, I just went through all of this. Service is awesome, support is pretty quick... anything sales related just falls flat. Upgrades/add-ons/whatever, just miserable response times.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • ColoCrossing, delimiter, quickpacket, queryfoundry all good!

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • The only North America alternative to online.net that I see is OVH (Canada DC). These are both big [french] providers where I think their business case is big volumes and as much automation as possible. From a customer point of view you get a big bang for your buck, but there have been some negative comments about their customer service (or lack of it). I have an online.net server, and generally very happy with it.

I can recommend Delimiter (as a former customer). Different business model, smaller, but more personal touch from a customer service point of view. They didn't feel as polished as online.net, but got the job done with excellent value for money for a USA supplier.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • thharris said: Well for customer support Delimiter still falls short for me

Support is the bit that works well, as @mikeyur pointed out Sales is that part that needs maximum attention; and its getting that attention slowly.

The main problem with sales is that they have one sales person running their English speaking sales and he is overwhelmed. They have brought a second person on but training will take time before he is of any use.

• Are we talking about the $20 a month E3's or something more realistic like the $75 range?

• sumosumo Member

@mikeyur said:
    It's not support, it's sales. Believe me, I just went through all of this. Service is awesome, support is pretty quick... anything sales related just falls flat. Upgrades/add-ons/whatever, just miserable response times.

Are you still a customer? I took a look at your server status page, but there wasn't a mention about a Delimiter server, unless I missed it.

• sumosumo Member

@8420PR said:
    The only North America alternative to online.net that I see is OVH (Canada DC). These are both big [french] providers where I think their business case is big volumes and as much automation as possible. From a customer point of view you get a big bang for your buck, but there have been some negative comments about their customer service (or lack of it). I have an online.net server, and generally very happy with it.

I can recommend Delimiter (as a former customer). Different business model, smaller, but more personal touch from a customer service point of view. They didn't feel as polished as online.net, but got the job done with excellent value for money for a USA supplier.

I've thought about OVH/SoYouStart/Kimsufi for a while. I never had a direct interaction with them nor have I inquired about former/current customers' experience with them. But, from what I've read, their customer support makes it an unpalatable service to engage with, for me at least. The need for ID verification makes it seem like the company is doing me a favor. Their wait time is a massive waste of time, again for me at least. Its unfortunate, because their service would be a great value, even at a higher price point.

Its good to know you had a positive experience. Was the network speed to your satisfaction? May I ask what made you leave, which server you had with them, and what locations? You PM me if you prefer and of course, you don't have to answer any of those questions if you prefer not to.

Thank you.

• sumosumo Member

@Steven_F said:
    Are we talking about the $20 a month E3's or something more realistic like the $75 range?

I'm looking for value. The price point should be such that as a customer, I should be happy with my purchase. Too often, I read things such as "what do you expect for $XX". While, as a customer, realistic expectations should be had for low priced services, it is also up to the provider to communicate what their commitment to their is like.

Using your price point examples, a $20 E3 may have a very low value if support is useless and a $75 E3 may also have very low value is support is only marginally better, but a $75 E3 may be of high value if the technical resources, support, and sales are excellent.

My apologies that my reply isn't a quantitative answer to your question.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • @sumo said:
    Are you still a customer? I took a look at your server status page, but there wasn't a mention about a Delimiter server, unless I missed it.

Yup. Don't have it on the status page, since they're more business-focused than personal boxes.

Thanked by 2sumo MarkTurner
  • sumosumo Member

@mikeyur said:

Thank you for sharing, I appreciate it.

• @sumo said:
    Thank you for sharing, I appreciate it.

If you want to give us a chance, please feel free to reach out!

Thanked by 1XIAOSpider97