Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best "Free" Opensource alternatives to MS Exchange Mail
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best "Free" Opensource alternatives to MS Exchange Mail

mehargagsmehargags Member
edited March 2015 in General

Opensource has come long way now, and MS Exchange being an open protocol now, I've seen alot of happening over the alternatives. However they are confusing and some really cost down the line. Are any of the members here using good alternatives that work natively on Exchange protocol aka ActiveSync.

I want to mention I'm looking for absolutely free packages here.

Mobile Devices Synchronization is important.

Most important is **Good SPAM handling **

A good intuitive backend administration panel to create/edit/del Domains and underlying accounts. Setup mail Admins per domain and give them total control of their domains.

some of the things I tried

1. Zentyal -- looks most promising, but is a mess, never was able to get past its network configuration

2. Sogo.nu -- Zentyal uses Sogo, but its complicated to setup and the documentation/support is horrendous.

3. Zimbra -- never tried... is the Free version really good ? Can it handle 250-300 accounts in mutli-domain setup?

4. Something I'm just trying now, Looks most promising and some of the members in my earlier threads vouched for it. Looks good!

5. OpenChange -- Zentyal and Sogo wrap this under the hood, is it easy to setup? how efficient is it ?

6. Open-Xchange -- Not free I presume, but if it performs well at a reasonable price, I can consider.

Please feel free to add to this list.

thanks alot.

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu

Comments

• cassacassa Member

I use SOGo included with iRedMail (it's included and easy to setup).

Open-Xchange also has a free version, but note that OX doesn't have a mail server built-in.

• Zimbra only supports activesync in the paid editions, However there is a Z-push back-end that works pretty well with the opensource version of zimbra to provide activesync support.

Was using it for a couple years, recently changed to o365 simply because there were only a few users on the server and I was struggling to find the time to fix/maintain it.

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited March 2015

@Cassa,
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I see alot of groupware require an underlying mailserver configuration. iRedmail is not free (I guess) ?

Can I install Sogo alongside EXIM4 running on Debian7 ? I want to setup a usual server using VestaCP/ISPConfig/Froxlor

• cassacassa Member

@mehargags said:
    Cassa,
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I see alot of groupware require an underlying mailserver configuration. iRedmail is not free (I guess) ?

It has a free version too

Can I install Sogo alongside EXIM4 running on Debian7 ? I want to setup a usual server using VestaCP/ISPConfig/Froxlor

Should be possible.

• Mail in a box. Incredible

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

Zarafa

Thanked by 1dnwk
  • Horde + Postfixadmin, Activesync, CalDAV, CardDAV and user management, I seem to be the only one on this forum with love for horde :(

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited March 2015

TinyTunnel_Tom said: Mail in a box

Yup tried it -- good work, but I couldn't see how I'd setup Multiple Domains and Per domain Admins in it (may be I missed in a blush).
    EDIT: check on Official forums, Not Supported so a No Go

@patrick7
    Zarafa I'm considering already, Does the free version allow Multi-domain, per domain Admin accounts ?

@bohdans
    Horde is something many old admins vouch for, but its a mess to install (atleast the last time I looked) and the UI is pretty oldish isn't it. Do you have experience personally for this ?

• Zimbra was excellent when I was using it, but it is a resource hog. I don't think I had to touch the box outside of setting up new accounts for 2 or 3 years.

• @Microlinux said:
    Zimbra was excellent when I was using it, but it is a resource hog.

Can I run a 200 mailbox setup in a 2GB SSD-KVM VPS ? Dedicated to Zimbra only with no other public facing Service running?

Second how good is the SPAM filtering ?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

bohdans said: I seem to be the only one on this forum with love for horde :(

Nope, horde+qmail+phpmyadmin+webdav+ldap fan here. But never tried activesync, it was always enough to use imap for all my needs.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Zimbra is a really good application, if you want a really detailed "enterprise" UI. It really is a resource hog though, I doubt 2GB RAM will be enough even..

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited March 2015

@mehargags said:
    Can I run a 200 mailbox setup in a 2GB SSD-KVM VPS ? Dedicated to Zimbra only with no other public facing Service running?

The base install with 5 or 6 people using it hovered around 3-4GB of RAM. I cannot say how it scales, I did not use it beyond those 5 or 6 people.

Second how good is the SPAM filtering ?

I don't know, I used it with external filtering.

• @Microlinux said:
    The base install with 5 or 6 people using it hovered around 3-4GB of RAM

That sounds ridiculously over the board then... not a subject of Low-End Discussion :(

• @mehargags said:

Pardon for budging in, however if you put this on a Kimsufi which are pretty cheap I could imagine it working fine seen as it'd have dedicated CPU, RAM although your best bet is to ask the requirements from Zimbra's community or such.

I'd imagine it being similar to MS Exchange where it's 8-16GB RAM ish although with exchange you could literally go on forever and it'd use it all. I'm not sure whether the RAM would greatly increase per user (i.e. each user is 256mb worth of RAM), I'd surely hope that each user was maybe 2-3mb?

Best of luck :-)

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited April 2015

@mehargags said:
    That sounds ridiculously over the board then... not a subject of Low-End Discussion :(

It was quite heavy, but it just worked. That's well worth a few extra bucks per month when it comes to e-mail.

I don't have any reason to believe the memory requirement would grow in a linear fashion with more users, I just didn't try it.

• zimbra is good only issue is that it requires large amount of RAM and CPU so it is recommended to use only on dedicated server. I am now switching to mailinabox

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

praveen said: zimbra is good only issue is that it requires large amount of RAM and CPU so it is recommended to use only on dedicated server.

There are VPSes with 8 GBs, but may fall short on CPU a bit. There are even 16 GB with 12 cores.

Thanked by 1praveen
  • Does anyone of you have a review of Open-Xchange ?
    Have you had a hands on with it ?
    is it a FREE Open Source software ? or any community edition?

I sent them a mail and they kind of implied they are only working with OEM Resellers and a minimum cost would be $10,000/yr

They are selling this via channel partners as Enterprise Email, so I want to know if any experiences you guys have with this.

• cassacassa Member

Yep, they have a community edition

• @cassa said:
    Yep, they have a community edition

Can you link me the Community Edition ? and Its limits/features please. ?

Many thanks

• cassacassa Member
    edited April 2015

@mehargags said:
    Many thanks

http://oxpedia.org/wiki/index.php?title=AppSuite:Main_Page_AppSuite#quickinstall

Replace the --license argument in --nolicense or --no-license (not sure which one anymore)