Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB-powered game hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB-powered game hosting

Shane_ElmoreShane_Elmore Member
edited September 2012 in General

Just an idea, but, I am planning a game server community and was thinking if it got big enough, offering very small game server hosting, not powered off powerful, $200-300/mo dedis, but higher-end LEBs. Of course to avoid each LEB provider from kicking me off for abuse, each LEB would be limited to only a few game servers, which I have not figured out the number yet, but because of the cost of running it, I was thinking I could offer game servers for ultra-cheap per slot.

What do you think? Impossible, or good idea?

Comments

• Game hosting is expensive, I don't think a LEB box will fit for most of the games..

• AsadAsad Member
    edited September 2012

You've been having too many crazy ideas lately.

How about ChicagoVPS? Everyone uses their 2GB specials for minecraft/game servers.

• flyfly Member
    edited September 2012

gameserver hosting on vps's is perfect. price-performance wise you'll beat the gameserver hosting companies, and you can just use open game panel.

game hosting is actually not expensive at all... You can probably fit a couple 12 slot css servers on a 256mB vps

i wouldn't recommend hosting minecraft, just because of all the headaches associated with that.

I would also recommend looking into voip hosting: mumble/vent/ts3 as it's essentially just free money.

• @serverian said: Game hosting is expensive, I don't think a LEB box will fit for most of the games..

Not necessarily.

There are several older and/or less intensive games that don't use a lot of resources.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2012

@Shane_Elmore said: There are several older and/or less intensive games that don't use a lot of resources.

Of which you could fit huge amounts of on a cheap dedicated, I don't see this lowering your price point significantly, especially with the great dedicated deals that have been going around lately.

• @Shane_Elmore said: each LEB would be limited to only a few game servers

When you're trying to offer cheap services....
    High Density = $$$
    Low Density = -$$$/Deadpool

@Shane_Elmore said: Impossible, or good idea?

You won't know if it's impossible, or a good idea until you do the numbers....

• BrandonBrandon Member
    edited September 2012

Yeah a lot of providers would kick you out for hosting game servers. It puts a lot of stress and load onto servers, especially Minecraft.

Feel free to PM me and I could work out a deal for you. We specialize in game hosting on VPSs and wouldn't have any problems with you running one on our plans.

• I got a cod4 server running on a 1GB ram vps with 4 cores
    And it uses 3%-5% CPU

And it's full almost all day

• @fly said: You can probably fit a couple 12 slot css servers on a 256mB vps

Actually a 24 slot server fits in a 128mb server. Considering that 24 slot CSS servers cost ~10€/month and you can get a 128mb LEB for 2€/month thats actually a pretty good deal.

But you have to keep in mind that you also have to deal with a buch of idiotic kids, DDoS, etc

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2012

I think that the issue here is that you're trying to start small and scale with success. It's probably the first thought we all have, try to limit overhead because we have no idea how fast or slow we'll grow. If there's one thing I've learned it's that if you can't jump in and do what it takes to start at the appropriate level, you won't make it. You don't have to spend $500/m starting out, but I don't think anyone should be starting anything in this business with less than $150/m and the ability to sustain that at 100% loss for 2 years. Of course your plan is terrible if it's a 100% loss in 2 years. The idea is that you're prepared for the worst and that should guarantee your ability to invest further.

That's just honest advice from me to you. I support my fellow LET community members in everything they do regardless, but I don't want to see you fail.

• @Zen said: Your biggest issue is going to be the fact that you have no guarantee of not being kicked out, and when that happens, it isn't so much the kick out but the loss of IP space that will hurt you and your clients.

+1 for this. The reciprocal action for butthurt gamers seems to be DDOS with a cheapy botnet; VPS providers don't like that. And your customers won't enjoy changing their IP frequently.

Thanked by 1Zen