Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Piwik Analytics Questions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Piwik Analytics Questions

I'd like to try out Piwik Analytics. I read over a lot of info here: http://piwik.org/docs/

But I still have questions:

1. What size VPS should I use manage 50 or so medium/low volume sites, with room to grow? I'd like to buy one VPS and not have to upgrade down the road if this works out well.

2. Do you need a domain name for the Analytics server to work, or is an IP good enough?

Comments

• You should really check my signature :)

And to answer your questions:

1. 1GB RAM and a few cores + a decent disk should be OK.
    2. An IP would work just fine.
  • Thanks for the advice. Yes, I see that you and others are offering Piwik hosting as a service here on LET. Call me crazy, but even if it might cost me less in money and time, I just like to learn things, and am not that good with "black boxes" in my life. If I figure it all out and there is no fun it doing it myself, I would move to a hosted solution, and I would keep your service in mind.

@joodle said:
    You should really check my signature :)

And to answer your questions:

1. 1GB RAM and a few cores + a decent disk should be OK.
    2. An IP would work just fine.
  • cassacassa Member
    edited March 2015

I'm running mine on a 256mb vps, it depends how many websites / visitors you have.

Note that if one of your websites have ssl, and Piwik doesn't, users may get a security warning.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Depends on how many "features" you want to enable. Like adding the city database to get an "exact" location of the visitor.
    You can either do the javascript (or 1*1 image url).

My first piwik installation did run on a 128mb vps and if you get the insgall to work it's not that "hard" to upgrade. Either you tell your provider you need more ram or disk (saving mucho data without removing old data) or you move the database and files to a bigger server.

For 50 sites with 500 visitors a 25b VPS would probably be enough.
    The thing that really needs "power" is to browse the reports, not collecting data.
    Let me know if you need any help. Even if I could earn a dollar or two to make you my customer I think you will benefit more to learn how to do it yourself.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Oh, the guides over at piwik.org gets you started. They are really simple.
    Of course it also comes down to your httpd and mysql config. :)

• n1kkon1kko Member

I'm running piwik on a 768mb Vps with vultr. Have 25 sites on it runs great

• hicohico Member

can't comment on using piwik with low resources but I too gave it a try and it is worthwhile, works better than I thought it would.

any thoughts on IP2Location free db instead of the free maxmind db? I was thinking of trying it as the default freebie only gets some of the IPs.
    http://lite.ip2location.com/

• BochiBochi Member

I'm managing a setup which is tracking >100 sites with about 40k impressions a week, running on a 1GB VPS with just a single core on a node with relatively low specs.
    Given the monitoring data I would say that there is still room for twice or even triple that volume. Tracking itself is no problem at all, just the processing...