Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which environment is more powerful? vps or desktop graded cpu dedicated
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which environment is more powerful? vps or desktop graded cpu dedicated

Hello all

I'm making decision for 2 choices backup server model

1. Currently I have 4 X high storage vps which have cpu power for 1-2 core each on server graded cpu model

2. I am consider to change backup to only one big servers 6TB with desktop graded cpu (Intel G3220)

Which way is more powerful to handle all backup task. Is it better to have dedicated server for full utilization of CPU core or stick with VPS model is better?

Thank you
zidit

Comments

• @zidit said:

Intel G3220 is a toy. So VPS.

Thanked by 1zidit
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

What kind of backup tasks? If it's just storage you won't need that much cpu power.

Thanked by 1zidit
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2015

ZweiTiger said: Intel G3220 is a toy. So VPS.

A toy with 3189 passmark CPU benchmark score that you can load as much as you want 24/7 without worrying about your provider getting upset? Which VPS supplies such CPU power?

With that said, backup tasks are usually not that much CPU intensive. They can work fine even with much slower CPU, G3220 is an overkill for just backups.

Thanked by 1zidit
  • ziditzidit Member

The backup task may run all the time from multiple server (one by one but I have many servers)

Should disk I/O be concerned for 6TB single SATA harddisk?

• your backup is cpu intensive? your host is complaining already?

Thanked by 1zidit
  • If you are the only user of that 6TB disk and are doing a single threaded write to it (i.e. one backup job running at a time), the IO shouldn't be a problem. Although a single 6TB file system with millions of small files might not be very fast.
    However 6TB disks are too new for now, you might consider 2x3TB disks instead.

• ziditzidit Member

@jcaleb said:
    your backup is cpu intensive? your host is complaining already?

No complain from vps providerso far but i plan to have 6tb for room to growth

@rds100 said:
    If you are the only user of that 6TB disk and are doing a single threaded write to it (i.e. one backup job running at a time), the IO shouldn't be a problem. Although a single 6TB file system with millions of small files might not be very fast.
    However 6TB disks are too new for now, you might consider 2x3TB disks instead.

Thank you for your suggestion

• NomadNomad Member

Surely, most VPS's has a cpu limit so you can't rely having cpu intensive stuff on a vps. G3220 is already better than most VPS'es. If the price difference is not too much, go with it. Also having your own dedicated is surely better in terms of security.

But yeah, 2x3tb disks with raid will be better.

Thanked by 1zidit
  • dedicated could be cheaper. plus resources are dedicated to you

Thanked by 1zidit
  • ziditzidit Member

Then I would go with G3220. Thank you for you all

• But, it you're using it as a backup, a dedicated with a single disk is a much worse choice than a VPS on RAID that is also backed up by the VPS company.

Backups: 2=1, 1=none.