Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mysql on own server or LAMP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

mysql on own server or LAMP

PablozPabloz Member

hi all,
i have 2GB of ram and 2CPU, now i was wondering. do you think it would be better to split that so the mysql is running on its own VPS with half of the resources or worth just putting everything on its own VPS.
the reason i ask is, the website running on this VPS will not be the only server accessing the mysql. in fact another server will also be accessing the mysql more.
i am not to sure when it comes to performance like things like this.

Comments

• 1 big VPS is better that 2 small ones, in your case.

• It depends on the load. What load do you expect? A 2GB ram vps with access to 2 cores, could handle not one but many sites with mysql, depending on traffic, load and if any of the apps in the sites are memory-hog. So, if you want advice, you should post here some specs about the actual load of your sites.
    In generally, your vps could handle fine an average site with it database.

• I personally prefer 1 VPS 1 job

It's a good way to use up all my "idling" machines

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    I personally prefer 1 VPS 1 job

If it's not needed, doing that will only create latency.

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    I personally prefer 1 VPS 1 job

Also a good way to slow down your sites due to latency when a separate sql server is unnecessary. Probably won't be on a private internal network either considering you're just using "idling" machines.

• the thing is i havn't finished making this app/website yet.
    the site i expect wont be much of a load. but the mysql will be as it will have a lot of requests coming in and out from multiple locations. i think it may help to for downtime issues. for example if for some horible reason my website gets DDoS attacked or has issued then my mysql will not be effected at all. i think i will go with seperating them for now, same cost anyways. and i can always bring them back together easy enough. thanks for all your input guys.

• Pabloz said: in fact another server will also be accessing the mysql more.

Then install mysql on that other server or consolidate everything in one server.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

You should separate as you said it will increase data protection against data corruption.

Plus a database server will have less security flaws if it is running only database service.