Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloud security cameras - question?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloud security cameras - question?

ChuckChuck Member
edited March 2015 in Help

I'm moving to a new address. I'm planning to get 5 security cameras. I don't want to store data on hard drive of the computer. Because the burglar steals may steal the computer, then I'm SOL. I want to store the data on the VPS. Do you know what kind of specs do I need? I'm thinking 1 camera on 1 VPS. I don't want to put all 5 cameras in 1 VPS. Will the NAT IPv4 VPS work? KVM or OpenVZ? I'm thinking to get a VPS has big storage, I don't want to login VPS to delete data everyday. Don't need SSD. Motion recording.

Comments

• okay well let me help you out with that I can put you on one of my nodes(I got two nodes that have 2x 2tb hdd's in them so I could give you a large storage vps maybe 1tb or less or whatever you want.)
    if so please contact me via sales ticket: https://blesta.keyedinsoftware.us

• joereidjoereid Member
    edited March 2015

Continuously recording? how much bandwidth does your home Internet have? That'll probably be your biggest limitation. It'll affect the number of streams and nitrate of each.

edit

unless you use something like Zoneminder and only record when an event is triggered sending the video to your VPS.

• Depending on the cameras you use and the NVR you use will depend on things like NAT traversal. Some cameras are a little picky about it all. You could also get an NVR at your house and upon motion detection set it to auto upload the footage to something like dropbox. It will save you a tonne of bandwidth as it will only upload if there is an event.

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited March 2015

This is just a general question for me to get an general idea the VPS specs for the camera. The camera will have 720p (1280x720). Motion recording.

• @Chuck said:
    This is just a general question for me to get an general idea the VPS specs for the camera. The camera will have 720p (1280x720). Motion recording.

It's all about the bitrate. If you have the camera pump out video at 1mbps, it'll consume 125KB of disk per second. So a 40GB VPS will fill up in 3.7 days.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • i'd suggest you to get a crappy mini itx with a few tb's of storage and hide it somewhere rather than using a cloud solution.

A closet with a bogus floor would do just fine and use wifi/ip-cameras.. if you get a few tb's you should be able to keep at least 1 week of footage.

Good luck =)

Thanked by 2Chuck Mark_R
  • @Makkesk8 said:
    i'd suggest you to get a crappy mini itx with a few tb's of storage and hide it somewhere rather than using a cloud solution.

A closet with a bogus floor would do just fine and use wifi/ip-cameras.. if you get a few tb's you should be able to keep at least 1 week of footage.

Good luck =)

that is what I am doing I have my server have 4tb hdd and it has stored all of the video and snapshots too and I use software called blue iris 4 to do all this.

• I have a few cameras in and around my house. I currently have 2 500GB (upgrading to 1 or 2TB soon).

The first is hooked up to Pi 1 hidden in a cupboard. The second to Pi 2 in the Garage. They are connected via a router which has no external Internet access. Currently looking at having a 3rd one setup even more remote

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • TrafficTraffic Member
    edited March 2015

Chuck said: I'm thinking to get a VPS has big storage, I don't want to login VPS to delete data everyday

Actually it'd not be needed to login every day, it'd be easy to code something to make sure the recordings are deleted after 72h or whatever timeframe you specify.

I'd do a setup saving the recordings to both local storage and a remote (secure) location, you can even encrypt them (in fact it'd be recommended - you're trusting your life to a company). That way you get the best of both worlds - normal surveillance system and (if the burglars don't prevent internet access) remote backups.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited March 2015

Motion detection & scheduling for different cameras will help cut down the footage a lot, do you need everything in 720p?

I think syncing every so often will be a lot better than streaming etc offsite, or secure local storage, will a burglar steal stuff in your loft/attic?

Thanked by 1Chuck