Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Cloud Drive Launches Unlimited Cloud Storage $5 per month
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Amazon Cloud Drive Launches Unlimited Cloud Storage $5 per month

Amazon today announced unlimited cloud storage with Amazon Cloud Drive—two new storage plans for customers to securely store their existing content collections and automatically upload endless amounts of new content, including photos, videos, movies, music, and files. With the unlimited plans, customers no longer need to worry about how much storage is needed to keep their content safe and secure—they can choose either the Unlimited Photos Plan or Unlimited Everything Plan and only pay one flat fee per year. A free 3-month trial is available for customers to try either plan:

Unlimited Photos Plan (free 3-month trial, then $11.99 per year—equivalent of less than $1 per month): Store an infinite number of photos in Cloud Drive without worrying about taking up space on phones, cameras, or other devices. Customers can upload existing collections and store all future photos taken. This plan also includes 5 GB of additional storage for videos or other documents and files.

Unlimited Everything Plan (free 3-month trial, then $59.99 per year—equivalent of less than $5 per month): Store an infinite number of new and existing photos, videos, files, documents, movies, and music in Cloud Drive.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/home/

Thanked by 1GIANT_CRAB

Comments

• 3.2 Usage Restrictions and Limits. **The Service is offered in the United States. We may restrict access from other locations**. There may be limits on the types of content you can store and share using the Service, such as file types we don't support, and on the number or type of devices you can use to access the Service. We may impose other restrictions on use of the Service.

3.3 Our Use of Your Files to Provide the Service. **We may use, access, and retain Your Files in order to provide the Service to you and enforce the terms of the Agreement**, and you give us all permissions we need to do so. These permissions include, for example, the rights to copy Your Files for backup purposes, modify Your Files to enable access in different formats, use information about Your Files to organize them on your behalf, and access Your Files to provide technical support. Amazon respects your privacy and Your Files are subject to the Amazon.com Privacy Notice located at www.amazon.com/privacy.

• I hate this cloud storage nonsense. External hard disks and offline storage is more than enough for me.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

varwww said: I hate this cloud storage nonsense.

It's hardly nonsense, offsite backups are a sensible precaution. I agree the marketing fluff is all bollocks, but that doesn't mean the product behind the fluff isn't worthwhile.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • I tried to sign in with my UK amazon and it just redirected me to prime photo signup :(

• Only for US?

• @GIANT_CRAB said:
    Gotta love being able to upload data to NSA.

Why would NSA be interested in looking at your data? :)

• @spammy said:

Right? After all the recent privacy scandals everyone seems to think they're important enough for the government to be monitoring them. Its more the principle than an actual threat.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

GIANT_CRAB said: Gotta love being able to upload data to NSA.

Yeah NSA is whatever, just use encryption (as you would anyways).

However this:

upfreak said: There may be limits on the types of content you can store and share using the Service, such as file types we don't support, and on the number or type of devices you can use to access the Service. We may impose other restrictions on use of the Service.

is why you never sign up to an "unlimited" storage service, certainly not paying $60 upfront on a yearly basis. They may invent all sorts of arbitrary restrictions if they decide that you (or users in general) use "too much" of the "unlimited" storage.

• Jonchun said: After all the recent privacy scandals everyone seems to think they're important enough for the government to be monitoring them

Not directly but of course if the NSA taps data links they get YOUR data as well - Sure, now you can argue "i don't have anything to hide" but with that mindset this discussion is useless...

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I'm guessing to have "unlimited" cloud storage you'd also have to have unlimited local storage, as this is sort of Dropbox-like (i.e., a replicated folder) -?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

raindog308 said: unlimited local storage

Not quite, but i should have about 20 TB around. It is trivial to add it up with almost any os and make a big folder.

However, as rm_ said, who knows what limits would they put, i had unlimited crashplan, but with 1 mbps, it was useless for anything meaningful. It tried to upload a 200 GB file for a month, and then I gave up, never went past 10%.

• Considering that Dropbox has their plans hosted on Amazon's S3 service (as well has Carbonite, etc.), this makes sense.

• For your photos, you're unable to share a folder/album. You can only share one photo at a time. Upload is slow. iPhone app is unable to create folders. I get it for free with my Amazon Prime subscription, and don't use it.

• I can't speak to privacy concerns, but the relevant /r/datahoarders thread speaks to the transfer rate.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Rallias said: /r/datahoarders

Seems to be an awesome subreddit and they even have a 130 people IRC channel on Freenode.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Silvenga said:
    Considering that Dropbox has their plans hosted on Amazon's S3 service (as well has Carbonite, etc.), this makes sense.

Probably not something that pleases them either. Amazon wants to be the back end of everything and they seem to be on a path to taking the front ends as well. Congrats to them if they pull it off, but it's gotta frustrate startups that use them.

• J1021J1021 Member

varwww said: I hate this cloud storage nonsense. External hard disks and offline storage is more than enough for me.

I don't use these services because it's hard to maintain local copies like this.

• Does anyone have a windows PC and 100TB 1Gbps who wants to try and upload lots?

• That's amazing considering you can use CloudDrive with FireTV. Anybody knows a way to use this with a not-us account?

• @tr1cky said:
    That's amazing considering you can use CloudDrive with FireTV. Anybody knows a way to use this with a not-us account?

You need a credit card that accepts USA address as a valid billing address I think.

• @linuxthefish said:
    You need a credit card that accepts USA address as a valid billing address I think.

Well, I have one, I often buy game codes on amazon.com but it unfortunately always redirects me to the german cloud drive if I sign in through that page.

• @Rallias said:
    I can't speak to privacy concerns, but the relevant /r/datahoarders thread speaks to the transfer rate.

Thanks for the Reddit group, was not aware of it.

• I wonder how much storage space Amazons keeps on demand. I know in 2010 people were estimating an exabyte of data in total was stored by Amazon - but that was 5 years ago.

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited March 2015

No Linux support, but the open REST'ful API looks nice. I always like writing code for Amazon's API's, they actually think about the design. I might try to make a cli client for Linux then.

https://developer.amazon.com/public/apis/experience/cloud-drive/content/nodes

EDIT: And the Windows client is written in C#, makes sense why its only on Windows.

Thanked by 2cnbeining netomx
  • earlearl Member

Google+ gives you unlimited photo's and video's backup so long as your photos does not exceed 75 MB or 2048x2048 pixels in size and videos no longer than 15 min.. other wise it gets uploaded to google drive and counts towards your 15GB limit.

Works for Android, ios, mac/pc.

And it's free!

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Still waiting for the cloud storage that supports rsync, which is more affordable than a dedicated server with the same amount of storage space.

• linuxthefish said: I tried to sign in with my UK amazon and it just redirected me to prime photo signup :(

Works for me, but I have got prime so possibly why.

• ChuckChuck Member

Guess my 25TB pr0n collection will have a new home. Hehe.

Thanked by 1paily
  • ChuckChuck Member
    edited March 2015

@Silvenga said:
    I wonder how much storage space Amazons keeps on demand. I know in 2010 people were estimating an exabyte of data in total was stored by Amazon - but that was 5 years ago.

An Yottabyte?
    Because an exabyte of data is created on the Internet each day.