Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Snapshot feature like DigitalOcean
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Snapshot feature like DigitalOcean

I would like to know if LEB providers like RamNode has feature to keep full Snapshots of the server like which is available in DigitalOcean?

Comments

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

We have this feature in our new panel which is currently limited to a few clients for beta testing, here's a few screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/afjYR

• Vultr has this feature too.

Thanked by 1Rapta
  • smartcard said:

I would like to know if LEB providers like RamNode has feature to keep full Snapshots of the server like which is available in DigitalOcean?

Most don't. Solusvm has to provide it and I've never seen anything like that there.

Even the solusvm backup option is said to be buggy.

Thanked by 1smartcard
  • BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@SpeedBus said:
    We have this feature in our new panel which is currently limited to a few clients for beta testing, here's a few screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/afjYR

I've been trying to figure that part out , just out of curiosity its just like making a copy of the containter's disk right ?

• Some providers may be using ProxMox which really has a good snapshot feature.

I've tested it and it works flawlessly every time.

• bersybersy Member

Dediserve

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2015

BharatB said: I've been trying to figure that part out , just out of curiosity its just like making a copy of the containter's disk right ?

2 ways to get it done, each has it's merits and demerits though.

• Which means still Digital Ocean is best for this task?

• praveenpraveen Member
    edited March 2015

I think Iwstack XEN instance have entive VM Snapshot option it use cloudstack.

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited March 2015

DO is not the best... you will have snapshots on running vm only on their auto backup system

Openvz web panel provider can give you snapshots ability with Suspended for several minutes VPS or with stopped, if you find one which offer ploop (but i doubt there is low end ones cause there certain requirements to use it safe and usually use more space than simfs) will give you running snapshots)

or Proxmox provider can give you better options than DO

• ATHKATHK Member

@coolice said:
    DO is not the best... you will have snapshots on running vm only on their auto backup system

Can you elaborate a bit more? I can take snapshots without having any "auto backup" feature enabled...

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited March 2015

You can take snapshot on DO but VM should be stopped during snapshot taking place... If you enable auto backup (cost 20% of price of vps plan) they do running vm backups every several days...

That was the situation several months ago when i used them ...

With OpenVZ web panel on ploop you can snapshot backup running one, on proxmox with qcow2 partition also can snapshot a running one (see screenshots in my previous post) ... which is the best option for bigger than several GB VMs that why I mean DO is not the best for snapshot

• wychwych Member

Proxmox has a snapshot function. A few of the more common virtualization panels also have some backup options that may cover what you want.

• adxnadxn Member, Host Rep

www.rijx.com also has a cool snapshot feature!

• saintsaint Member

Bandwagonhost has snapshot function.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

We offer this on our impact vps brand

• Vultr has snapshots and I think iwStack does

• @praveen said:
    I think Iwstack XEN instance have entive VM Snapshot option it use cloudstack.

Yes it's also possible to snapshot disks of KVM instances although if the VM is running there's always the risk of an inconsistent FS if you simply snapshot the disk.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Snapshots should not be a replacement for a backup. But they are great for making clones of VMs :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2015

dragon2611 said: Yes it's also possible to snapshot disks of KVM instances although if the VM is running there's always the risk of an inconsistent FS if you simply snapshot the disk.

Inconsistent FS, no, if everything runs as it should, but inconsistent DB, might be.
    With xen you can snapshot the running VM including memory, will continue from the snapshot moment onwards in case of restore. KVM does not support this feature AND you must never save more than one disk at a time, the snapshot will fail.
    Snapshots can be manual or scheduled, witht he caveat that you must account for the time needed to backup one disk at a time for KVM. This will create issues if you have a need for the 2 to be in sync. Best way to do it is to have only one disk, but, if you must have more, then group the data which needs to be consistent on the same disk.
    You can then convert the snapshots to templates, but must be sure you do not have any MAC or IP hardcoded, otherwise the resulting VM will not have net access until you solve these problems.

• blackblack Member

The good people at redhat are working on KVM live migrations ( http://developerblog.redhat.com/2015/03/24/live-migrating-qemu-kvm-virtual-machines/ a cool read btw) so I assume they can do live snapshots soon.

• J1021J1021 Member

Abdussamad said: Most don't. Solusvm has to provide it and I've never seen anything like that there.

Maybe that's the problem. It would be nice to see more hosts making a commitment with their own panels, that they understand and can adapt to their needs and the needs of their clients.

Relying solely on a third party vendor for your control panel and feature set heavily limits your ability to innovate and set yourself ahead of the competition.

coolice said: DO is not the best... you will have snapshots on running vm only on their auto backup system

That's correct, in order to run a snapshot at DigitalOcean you must power down the VM, run the snapshot and wait for it to complete, power up again. If you are looking for a host with the ability to take live snapshots, Vultr comes to mind.

• Our platform lets you schedule automated snapshots (daily, weekly, etc) as well as on demand.

Thanked by 1smartcard