Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap way to store a few TBs of data
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap way to store a few TBs of data

NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I need to store some terabytes of personal data, mostly video. Between 2 and 3TB at the moment. Getting a NAS at home is not an option since I don't have a stable residence.

Apart from the obvious solution of getting a dedicated server, can anyone think of a cheap way to do so? Data security is important but not critical (so redundancy/guarantees needed, but not off-site redundancy).

Maybe some cloud storage provider is a viable option? Price is my main concern, I would prefer not to pay 40€/month for this.

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Hubic?

Thanked by 2Nyr paily
  • I was considering sending a Pi to MSP and a HDD and use that. Would work well

Thanked by 1Nyr
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

netomx said: Hubic

Among my options, but I would like to learn about some alternatives, specially because the FUSE tools have some limitations.

TinyTunnel_Tom said: I was considering sending a Pi to MSP and a HDD and use that. Would work well

Nah, I would need two HDDs at the very least, so external power, etc... and I don't think RAID performance would be good at all :(

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2015

https://www.dropbox.com/business/pricing

Its 1 TB per user ( $15 / user ) clearly 3 users is enough and fits your budget which also qualifies data security and a 3$ difference to your price mentioned.

Thanked by 1Nyr

60€/month, for that price I could get a nice dedicated server :(

• pogoplug $50 a year for "unlimited" (no speed cap to 1TB and around 5-10Mbit after)

Thanked by 1Nyr
  • BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2015

@Nyr said:
    60€/month, for that price I could get a nice dedicated server :(

Nevermind. Their minimum is 5 users so that voids it.

• earlearl Member

somewhat conflicting answers but it seems if you have an office 365 subscription one drive comes with unlimited storage or at least 10TB free? not sure what the file size limits are thought.

https://blog.onedrive.com/office-365-onedrive-unlimited-storage/

Thanked by 3BharatB Nyr cnbeining
  • Depending on when and how often you need to access the data, something like Amazon Glacier is very cheap. Google has something similar, I believe they're now better on price and quicker availabiity of data.

Thanked by 1Nyr
  • @Nyr why not a 3TB USB HDD. You can carry it with you to your new residence whenever you decide to move. And maybe a second copy to Amazon Glacier, if the data is important.

Thanked by 1Nyr

ricardo said:

Depending on when and how often you need to access the data, something like Amazon Glacier is very cheap.

Not very, is about 36€/month just for 3TB, counting only the storage.

rds100 said:

@Nyr why not a 3TB USB HDD.

2x HDDs would be an acceptable solution, not very convenient, but still. I could just automate backups between the 2 HDDs. It's among my options too. I will probably opt for either this or uploading my data to the French government ;)

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

If you trust those chinese offers that allow 10TB of data you could use those.

Thanked by 2Nyr netomx
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Crashplan?
    Could that be what you are looking for? I'm sorry if its not, just answered without checking their site first

Thanked by 1Nyr

Awmusic12635 said: If you trust those chinese offers that allow 10TB of data you could use those.

Transit to China from Spain/France is... slow. No way I could transfer 1TB in a reasonable amount of time. I see there was some Russian offer which could work, but is actually expired.

mikho said: Crashplan?

Looks like they have a Dropbox-like service too. This could be a decent option, thank you.

• earlearl Member
    edited March 2015

If you don't have a business subscription seems you need to sign up for onedrive unlimited storage..

https://blog.onedrive.com/office-365-onedrive-unlimited-storage-faq/

Kinda funny thought.. office online which is included free with an outlook email already comes bundled with word, excel, power point, one note and calender.. Not sure if the extra features of office 365 is worth the $10/mo subscription fee.. That is if you don't need onedrive.

Thanked by 1Nyr
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2015

For backup purposes, Hubic is a good choice. If you want to access the data at a decent rate then perhaps a VPS so you can vpn tunnel a local network share?

This is a 100mbit test: http://bigvps.io/speedtest/

Thanked by 1Nyr
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited March 2015

https://cloud.google.com/products/calculator/#id=46fe6573-c07f-4ef4-b318-95496f77f0c4 is $30/m for 3TB, 1 cent per GB per month. I haven't added the additional cost of retrieval.

Thanked by 1Nyr

ricardo said: $30/m for 3TB

Thanks, but I prefer a dedicated for this price.

• I haven't tried this option myself, but Digicube seems to offer FTP backup storage with their servers:
    http://digicube.fr/rapidserveurs/55

17 EUR for 3TB, plus the server (paid monthly) comes down to 23,24 EUR per month. I don't know if the FTP storage is on some sort of RAID though.

Thanked by 1Nyr

@Aleksio didn't know about it, interesting for cheap backup space.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Why not just double your cost and get an actual hard drive? More expensive but you will always have a use for it.

• KwiceroLTDKwiceroLTD Member
    edited March 2015

OK, So I'll make an offer.

4X1TB Hard Drives
    Unmetered 100mbps

As per raid, can do hardware raid10, or no raid at all.

$45 USD a month. I only have two in stock.

edited March 2015

NumaPlay said: Why not just double your cost and get an actual hard drive? More expensive but you will always have a use for it.

A hard drive is cheap, but I would need to carry two if I want to have some kind of redundancy. They would also use the two USB ports available on my MacBook.

KwiceroLTD said: OK, So I'll make an offer.

I will quote myself:

Nyr said: Apart from the obvious solution of getting a dedicated server, can anyone think of a cheap way to do so?

• @Nyr I did read that, however the cheapest way to do it is to get a dedicated server. If you want to purchase just hard drives, I've got 3 TB worth of spare hard drives laying around here.

@KwiceroLTD there are plenty cheaper of ways to store 3TB of data with redundancy than investing $540/year, which was your offer.

About the drives: if you mean 3TB combined, I have no use, but thanks.

If you got at least 2TB ones and are in Europe, I'm interested for a different project, depending on age and number available.

• MuZoMuZo Member
    edited March 2015

@TarZZ92 said: pogoplug $50 a year for "unlimited" (no speed cap to 1TB and around 5-10Mbit after)

Is it possible to mount it with fuse on Linux (without any sync software)? Is the 1TB bandwidth cap limit monthly or yearly? Performance to EU?

@earl said: If you don't have a business subscription seems you need to sign up for onedrive unlimited storage..

https://blog.onedrive.com/office-365-onedrive-unlimited-storage-faq/

From what I understood when searching information about it: you need a office 365 subscription to get the "premium" onedrive. At the moment the "premium" onedrive gives you 1TB space, to request to enter the 10TB beta you have to sign-up here. If you're a new subscriber you get automatically the 10TB beta/preview. If you reach 10TB they will give you more space. In the future they will remove any limit and give unlimited storage.

Although when I tested the onedrive integrated in Windows 8.1 on a dedicated server with online mode (so that files don't get stored locally), it was very slow to retrieve files and also to upload them despite the server having effective 500mbit up/down.

Buying the office 365 subscription yearly by a local store it's cheaper, here it costs around 65$/year instead by microsoft online store around 12$/month.

@Nyr

At https://www.leaseweb.com you can get a

HP DL120G6
    Intel G6950 
    4GB DDR3
    4x1TB SATA2
    10 TB   
    Amsterdam AMS-01
    €29.00/month

You can configure the disks in RAID-5 and get 3TB, RAID10 or just don't use any RAID. Also if you're an old customer, they are offering the first 3 months of any of their service at 50% (got the email around a week ago).

Thanked by 2earl deadbeef

@MuZo looks like I will maybe get a dedi after all, yeah. Didn't know LeaseWeb was still doing cheap offers after all, good option to consider.

• Nyr said: If you got at least 2TB ones and are in Europe, I'm interested for a different project, depending on age and number available.

1x2tb drive, 3x1tb drives available in EU

• BarisBaris Member
    edited March 2015

You might consider the serverboerse of Hetzner.

2x3 TB HDD, i7 CPU, 16 GB RAM, 1Gbit connection (shared) with 20 TB of free traffic for around 30 Euros/month is doable.

I can't recommend hubic over fuse, too many problems.

• earlearl Member

@MuZo

I'm testing out the free onedrive from outlook.. on downloads I get about 1.5MB/s to 2 MB/s so around 10-15 mbit.

I also uploaded a 800MB AVI file and later tried to watch it from the online player but seem it buffers quite a bit..