Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you like to see more Xen or KVM offers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would you like to see more Xen or KVM offers?

MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
edited March 2015 in General

Hello folks,

I would love to see your feedback in this poll. Please vote! :-)

Xen or KVM?
  1. Would you like to see more Xen or KVM offers?77 votes
    1. KVM
      58.44%
    2. Xen-PV
      15.58%
    3. Xen-HVM
      25.97%

Comments

• Xen. KVM is everywhere. RamNode has kvm on lockdown on these forums and Linode/Dediserve hold Xen (but they are a little expensive for LET).

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • +1 for KVM

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

The poll is getting interesting! Please keep voting folks, I'd love to know what kind of offers you would like to see :-). Thank you for participating!

• I just want to see more of any virtualization where we can use our own kernel modules - so XEN-HVM/KVM.

Thanked by 2MikePT geekalot

I have been trying to find a tutorial about Xen HVM. It seems SolusVM tutorials only point to Xen-PV, not Xen-HVM. Hmm

I'll probably go for KVM though! :-)

• go for virtualizor I am running xen-hvm on it.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Solus supports HVM.

• Go for KVM, a lot of Xen-HVM providers are moving to KVM.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

vmware !

• @MrGeneral said:
    I have been trying to find a tutorial about Xen HVM. It seems SolusVM tutorials only point to Xen-PV, not Xen-HVM. Hmm

It's pretty much the exact same setup if I recall correctly. You just click a different option when adding the templates/plans.

@doughmanes said:
    Go for KVM, a lot of Xen-HVM providers are moving to KVM.

Yea.... no.

@mikho said:
    vmware !

If you're serious (not sure), any reasons why? Just because it's not common? Or is there something special about vmware that you want?

@Silvenga said:
    I just want to see more of any virtualization where we can use our own kernel modules - so XEN-HVM/KVM.

Very true :)

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR
    edited March 2015

+1 for Xen. Dont know why everyone loves KVM. Xen does the same and can run PV domains with less overhead than KVM, supports hardware changes (CPU, Memory, Disk) while machine is running.

And you don't need to patch kernel for guests anymore as Xen PV drivers are integrated the linux kernel.

Jonchun said: If you're serious (not sure), any reasons why? Just because it's not common? Or is there something special about vmware that you want?

I am seriuos, why wouldn't I be?

• supports almost every OS available
    • template support
    • free backup software to get the complete image.
    • snapshot support.

Thats some thing I like about it. Now there should only be more panels for customers.
    Guess thats the main reason why almost no-one offers it (except a few here and "Enterprise" hosting solutions).

Thank you very much for being voting, until now KVM is ahead, :-)

• RaptaRapta Member

So when is this host going to open up?

@Rapta said:
    So when is this host going to open up?

Really soon :-)

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited March 2015

@mikho said:
    vmware !

The premium versions of VMware are too expensive for an average host to offer & get ROI within a decent time period. The free version which is called VMware vSphere Hypervisor (previously known as VMware ESXi) is very suitable for general vps offerings (but not for HA, failover, SAN & the true cloud environments) but problem is that the North American & EU laws forbid you to use it for commercial hosting unless you are part of the VMware partner program or run it inside one of the premium VMware cloud products & that is how OVH do it I think. This is the reason that VMware ESXi is mostly used by Turkish & East European hosts & they do quite well with it. But most people do not sign up with them because hardly any of those hosts offer support in English.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited March 2015

@Jonchun said:
    If you're serious (not sure), any reasons why? Just because it's not common? Or is there something special about vmware that you want?

VMware is what most of the big corporate & enterprise setups use. There is got to be a good reason its so popular with them :) Advanced memory, storage & disaster management with ease of use are some of the key factors involved in its success I would say. It is rarely used in low to mid priced market does not mean it lacks something or is uncommon.

@fametel said:

Most lowend providers do not offer HA and the essential license is not that expensive (you can install ot on 3 host) so if you crunch the number you can make it work. I'm sure of that.
    The "hard" part is to have a control panel (which exists with 3rd party integrations in WHMCS).

VMWare is supported by cloudstack, for instance, we could have a deployment with a vmware separate zone and some extra features will appear. No need for a separate control panel, our own integrated in whmcs would work with minor changes. Cloudstack also is supported by hostbill (in the way they support something, meaning bugged and fixed eventually in 2 months).

• Honestly, what'd be really awesome would be a nice Xen PVh-based offer.

Thanked by 1MikePT

KVM won this poll.

Thank you everyone for participating! Your feedback is appreciated! LET folks are awesome :-)

• @Jonchun said:
    Xen. KVM is everywhere.

Every time I consider offering KVM or Xen and start doing a bit of research, I can never convince myself to decide on Xen for some reason. Yet I never see anyone offering it either.

• @HostNun said:
    Every time I consider offering KVM or Xen and start doing a bit of research, I can never convince myself to decide on Xen for some reason. Yet I never see anyone offering it either.

I guess it's because Xen is more common in bigger cloud deployments like OnApp stuff or Amazon. I think RackSpace too? But yea, I don't see Xen at all.

• KVM

• console support
    • support for own ISO (whether loaded by host or self-loaded)
  • earlearl Member

I want to see more $1/mo or $10/yr KVM offers..

geekalot said: + console support

• support for own ISO (whether loaded by host or self-loaded)

Xen has all that, the HVM version.

• It doesn't really matter. Mix of everything, guess.
    But as a side note: I would strictly avoid any newer host with tech solution and business plan concentrated around LET (polls, etc..)

Thanked by 3Dylan Jonchun HostNun

For sure, @Spirit, just gathering opinions though :-).