Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Researching for starting a LEB provider...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Researching for starting a LEB provider...

Shane_ElmoreShane_Elmore Member
edited September 2012 in Help

I know, I know.... not again!

Anyways, I am considering trying to throw my hand in the LEB game in a few months once I have enough saved up for a node (or I decide to enter the kickstarter thing which I probably won't win). What I'm trying to find out is a good node for around $80-160 a month (which is probably pretty much impossible, but who knows :P). I'm not looking for some super-powerful Quad Xeon node but something good as a starter.

Location preferred would be the east coast or Midwest US. And yes I do take advice on starting a LEB provider.

I am emphasizing the "few months" thing, I am not getting in for at least 2 to 3 months while I can plan everything. :)

Comments

• Since the kickstarter completion is going on, now is not the appropriate time to be asking the community to basically do your entry for you. Also, have faith in yourself, if you do not have enough faith or experience, should you really be undertaking this? Maybe find a position at another provider to gain it instead.

• Lowendbox contest is what you need to take a part of.

• Eh, wasn't asking for that, but okay.

I was asking for advice on what I should buy, incase I didn't win the kickstarter.

• @Shane_Elmore said: I was asking for advice on what I should buy

The hardware awarded is a perfect low cost starter node.

• @miTgiB are those price for server for real?

• @Taz_NinjaHawk said: @miTgiB are those price for server for real?

Curious to know too. Even if paid yearly and with reseller discounts at Colocrossing I could not arrive @ 150/month for that stuff.

• With that configuration and IP range? That IP space alone would cost around 50$ at various provider.

• 180 is not gonna get you anyway, expect to pay more if you want good hardware and get ready to get criticized.

if you know you cant do it right now, lack of funds or what so ever, don't do it

• @Jack said: RAID10 and 32GB ram for $150?

Was thinking the same. We just had a pretty lengthy search for a US provider (Getting quotes left/right and center and the best we got for a similar config to this was $255

• @Jack add CPU +bandwidth.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited September 2012

The hardware in the contest is a great starter node, I never commented on the pricing, as I really am not very familiar with monthly costs, I only buy hardware, but a few of us are talking in #lowendbox and seems $265/mo is the rent-to-own price for 12 months on that hardware. I know it is about $1800 new for a server like that, give or take as prices always fluctuate.

• @Zen said: High on contacts. You can get that if you know where to look. Its not like he's searching for a premium provider with a $80-$150 budget.

Even datashack charge $120 for 32GB RAM alone. Lets have some proof of these claims :)

• @Zen said: Read my post again, for $150 you won't get 32GB or the IPs.. but its possible to get the node itself and expand on upgrades as your customer base grows.

You added that after i posted :P

• @Zen said: High on contacts. You can get that if you know where to look. Its not like he's searching for a premium provider with a $80-$150 budget.

Where's that at? WhiteLabelHosting?

• @Zen said: Yes, the RTO is around $261 with ColoCrossing on a 12 month contract, pay 1k up front and it drops to $166 though - which is very affordable.

Sounds like someone is paying 1K up front for this? But we're still a bit off. It's $150 :p

• Tim . u got my mail?

• Not again!

No, I'm serious. Remember DepotVPS? Why'd you change your name? Oh wait, you already tried your hand at this and failed. You can't even afford to pay for a month's rent on a decently spec'd node, but want to start a company?

Oh well, at least LET will have a nice new source of lulz.

• If you really want to stay in this business needs U$5k to start, all about $200-$400 is just lose your money, save it or play it.