Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

/etc/resolv.conf
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

/etc/resolv.conf

IxapeIxape Member
edited October 2011 in Help

Using a OpenVZ VPS.

I've changed my /etc/resolv.conf and then rebooted. Except after the reboot it changes the file back. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Comments

• Do you have DHCP enabled?

• option one - chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf (not sure if it will work, maybe try it)

Option two - modify/overwrite resolv.conf with your own version from rc.local for instance. But the all daemons that start before rc.local runs would use the hosts's resolv.conf

• Set PEERDNS=no in ifcfg-venet0 file.

• Just don't reboot :P

• I think OpenVZ overwrites the resolv.conf file when it boots the VPS.

• Make a script that overwrites the overwritten file on startup

• gsrdgrdghd said: Make a script that overwrites the overwritten file on startup

At times this solution works.

• your /etc/resolv.conf is being written by solusvm-openvz script on startup generally when the host provider sets its block of IP to a specific dns ip. Maybe easiest way is for you to just create a startup script or a crontab entry and insert the echo commands below

echo "nameserver 127.0.0.1" >> /etc/resolv.conf

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited October 2011

nano /etc/rc.local

echo 'nameserver 4.8.8.8' > /etc/resolv.conf

or

nano /etc/rc.local

cp /backup/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

Or:

cripperz said: Maybe easiest way is for you to just create a startup script

..and use @reboot crontab command (it will execute your script only after reboot)

export EDITOR=nano

crontab -e

@reboot cd /root; ./resolv.sh >/dev/null 2>&1