Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ballen backs out of Sentora
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ballen backs out of Sentora

KwiceroLTDKwiceroLTD Member
edited March 2015 in General

Picked some quotes:
"Anyway, I've had enough of all of this shit"
"I suggest that the remaining team members push their ideas and take this project to higher places... I'm personally out now, I've had enough and I'm sure that in the mean time all you haters will be like "yeah great, the security n00b has gone" but hey, lets see what happens next!"

So, looks like I'll sit down one weekend and take a crack at Sentora, re-write the core to have some security, then get it audited. If anyone is interested in helping and sharing the work, let me know.

cc: @rack911 @joepie91

Comments

• What I think? Don't waste your time investing into crap.

You don't invest (time / money) in a project which is just wasting yours and others time just to clean up dog shit left on the path.

This is a open-source project - people should be helping rather than just slating the project and me in general

To Bobby if you read this... You did the project, you made zpanel and made it into the pile of junk it was to re-brand it and make the same project under another name is pathetic and you deserve everything chucked at you...

Rack911, tried to contact you and you ignore them, you didn't bother listening to people which is why you got the blame. Security is a high priority in most things unless it's cPanel where people go on reputation over security and rather wait a month for it because it's "industry standard" bollocks. As for Open source, you want people to clean the crap you made.. right let others do the hard work whilst you do a WHMCS.

Thanked by 1KwiceroLTD
  • Licensecart said: You don't invest (time / money) in a project which is just wasting yours and others time just to clean up dog shit left on the path.

I do agree with this, but I was just going to delete all of their code, re-do it from the ground up but secure, stable. Sure in every application they'll be vulnerabilities, like KwiBill had a few found thanks to an audit, and are being fixed (nothing major). I'm talking just about a re-write of the core.

Thanked by 1active8
  • tommytommy Member

looks like from his comment, he's still the 'owner' of project. since he use so many 'I' there

• tommy said: looks like from his comment, he's still the 'owner' of project. since he use so many 'I' there

He says he's resigning from the project, so I'm assuming he is.

• vedranvedran Veteran
    edited March 2015

We all know who Ballen is and what Sentora is, no need for background story. #LowEndTwitter

Thanked by 2KwiceroLTD netomx
  • lazytlazyt Member

Hack up of a windows version to work on nix?

Great idea what could go wrong with that?

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited March 2015

How does Sentora (or any panel competing with CPanel) make money? Is there a market or is it more of an "this sounds cool, let's do this"?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2015
    1. People who care and can code should contribute. I get this, it's not an unreasonable statement.

2. They shouldn't run around advertising it or providing easy installation instructions/links without warning when they know it's not production worthy. They keep ignoring this.

Nothing wrong with bad code. There's only something wrong with encouraging people who don't know better to use it when you do know that they shouldn't.

If I have a good idea that people like, I build the logic and the concept, then execute it poorly and ask others if they would be willing to help me fix the poor execution for public gain, where is the harm in this? There is none. How you go about it matters. The second I do these things and make a pretty logo, front page, and encourage people to easily install my product with no warning about my poor execution, I have revealed that I am not to be trusted.

• lazytlazyt Member

My problem was the entire head in the sand attitude they exhibited. The if you find a problem fix it for us was bad too. Mostly because the only way to fix was a from scratch rewrite.

Thanked by 1KwiceroLTD
  • LeeLee Veteran

Jar said: There's only something wrong with encouraging people who don't know better to use it when you do know that they shouldn't.

This ^^ The majority who will use it are doing so because they do not know better and are trusting that the creators/developers know what they are doing.

Thanked by 2KwiceroLTD jar
  • KwiceroLTDKwiceroLTD Member
    edited March 2015

@Jar sigh enough work for today.
    Been recoding Sentora and re-designing it to fix the train wreck... http://imgur.com/1GPqIAo,oxpRIh0,FejpR3z,9vTdTrp,3hdlw3G#0

Thanked by 2jar active8
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2015

KwiceroLTD said: Been recoding Sentora and re-designing it to fix the train wreck

While I don't use Sentora, there are a lot of people out there that would benefit from your giving. Stay awesome! :)

Thanked by 2KwiceroLTD netomx
  • lazytlazyt Member

Yes please keep it up. It was a good looking panel just had some major problems