Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

want to set up Streaming Audio, Inernet Radio? suggestions.....
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

want to set up Streaming Audio, Inernet Radio? suggestions.....

LeoKLeoK Member

I am interested in setting up a small internet broadcast. I already have a VPS (Linux) on which to host. I want it to operate independent, I mean that I want to load up content to the server and let it play randomly or by playlist Any suggestions or guidance on tutorial? Advice?

Comments

• @LeoK said:
    I am interested in setting up a small internet broadcast. I already have a VPS (Linux) on which to host. I want it to operate independent, I mean that I want to load up content to the server and let it play randomly or by playlist Any suggestions or guidance on tutorial? Advice?

You could use CastControl and their AutoDJ feature?

Thanked by 1TarZZ92
  • MSPNick said: You could use CastControl and their AutoDJ feature?

This, this is probably the cheapest panel for one individual stream.

• LeoKLeoK Member

Looks really nice, however this is just a hobby project. There will be no revenue coming from this so something free and open source is prob the only option for me.

• I've looked for years for such things, there isn't; it's easy to run shoutcast on a vps but running auto-dj which you're referring to is a whole different issue, I don't know of anyone that does it free and the only 'free' alternative is to connect on your home pc, run songs through broadcasting software 24/7 - which requires your computer to be on all the time.

• LeoKLeoK Member

auto-dj, is the function that I need? What is the issue or complication there?

• mscp lite is a good option for your needs to.

• I have setup Shoutcast Management Interface (SMI) and it is great for managing Shoutcast feeds. I think it does have an auto DJ though the stations I work with use RadioDJ for automation and feed it into the SMI streams.

SMI http://sourceforge.net/projects/smi/
    RadioDJ http://www.radiodj.ro/

• camjac251camjac251 Member
    edited March 2015

I use RadioDJ on sheepyradio.com.
    Only runs on Windows but works a lot better than the next option I'm going to suggest.
    You can use Airtime on linux if you want.

It's pretty good for a simple station, doesn't really have cues down though, but scheduling and playlists are easy to do, and it runs on linux. Then just setup an icecast server and you're good to go.

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited March 2015

I've used this before.

It works, but it's one of those panels that you have no idea if/when it's going to break.

Also, cheers @camjac, tuned into your radio now :)

• 17brownj17brownj Member, Host Rep

Check out Airtime https://www.sourcefabric.org/en/airtime/ It's great.

• LeoKLeoK Member
    edited March 2015

Looks great,

[ElliotJ]

Is there a reason you do not like it?

• LeoK said: Is there a reason you do not like it?

It's not that I don't like it - It works. It's just that I wouldn't really use it for anything important.

It hasn't been updated in a while, and although it does feature a basic AutoDJ, aside from that it's fairly limited feature wise.

• @LeoK said:

we are using Cpanel On VPS so simply Install WHM SONIC and enjoye streaming with autodj

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

best option is icecast2 with ices0(for mp3) or ices1(for ogg/vorbis)

• LeeLee Veteran

@mypkhost said:
    we are using Cpanel On VPS so simply Install WHM SONIC and enjoye streaming with autodj

He is looking for free/open source, besides cPanel and WHMSonic is a quite a bit of overkill just to stream audio.

https://www.sourcefabric.org/en/airtime/ is probably the best option out there right now, it's what I am using.

• HyperSpeed said: I've looked for years for such things, there isn't; it's easy to run shoutcast on a vps but running auto-dj which you're referring to is a whole different issue, I don't know of anyone that does it free and the only 'free' alternative is to connect on your home pc, run songs through broadcasting software 24/7 - which requires your computer to be on all the time.

Completely untrue. There are a lot of free panels and some of them can be run remotely and not local.

The new version (Airtime 2.5.2) released a few weeks ago.
    Beside, the program is fully functional with a big community and support from the members and a really active forum.
    As of autodj, it is not just an icecast server. It is a full radio automation system with slots, random playlists (that can behave as autodj), pal scripts and ability for custom hacks that can work for autodj, failover, autosweeps and lot more. For basic functionality is extremely easy to use and if you search a little deeper and learn to hack it, you can do endless things with it. But it is mostly for setting up a fully automated radio station that works on a server or a vps, without the need of running it on home/local computer and use of your internet line.
    It has the ability to automatically connect an external source (e.g. samcast from your computer for a live show) and when you terminate your local streaming, it returns to the pre-configured program.

Now, if you want just a streaming server (icecast or shoutcast) and you plan to use a studio or your home pc to transmit music/showit is completely free, fully automated on installation and extremely easy to use (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mscplite/).

ElliotJ said: It hasn't been updated in a while, and although it does feature a basic AutoDJ, aside from that it's fairly limited feature wise.

That is not true. Creators did updated it a couple of months ago. And it is veeery stable (I have an instance that is running for 290 days now without a single hickup)

As of my experience, I use both:

• Airtime for restraming a central radio station with ability to auto failover and to connect with my studio for regular local shows
    • MSCP: several icecast and shoutcast servers for live streaming radio stations.

I wouldn't suggest Shoutcast Management Interface (SMI), it is outdated and not very secure.

Thanked by 2Lee mcipovic
  • Lee said: Not sure if this is still usable?

I think it is. I just dropped a quick look on the new release, still haven't yet installed anywhere. But in this quick look, I think things have not changed dramatically and there are mostly bug fixes, GUI improvements etc.

• LeoKLeoK Member

I have always enjoyed knowing that I have a handful of yearly boxes that I can test on at will. Not so enjoyable when they are with BlueVM..... Any recommendations on minimal requirement for Airtime? I see they suggest 1gb ram,

• LeeLee Veteran

LeoK said: Any recommendations on minimal requirement for Airtime? I see they suggest 1gb ram,

read through the tutorial you have been offered, it has some comments on that.

• LeoKLeoK Member

Ok thank you, Any thoughts on Bandwith ?

• komputerkingkomputerking Member, Host Rep

Have you looked into a shoutcast server, or icecast? Both should run well with little to no work, and all you'd really need is bandwidth. If it is a talk show, you can save on bandwidth with only running a 32kbit stream, and allow for more listeners.

• HM-PhillHM-Phill Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2015

When I had my internet radio station we had an icecast setup that would have the primary mountpoint a /live and then when there was no live programming it would fall back to /autodj (/djbot). We also had a mountpoint (/alert or /emergency - I forget what it was called) that we used to break in to do breaking weather or news coverage. We actually had coverage of the last massive storm on the US East coast that rivaled the news stations without all the bs that they do.

For the autodj stuff I had a completely scripted SAM Broadcaster that would handle schedule rotation, listener requests, TOH/BOH station breaks, etc...

I have never touched, for an extended amount of time, any of the paid services that handle the streaming and automation for you. I realized pretty quickly that I wasn't able to get the level of granularity and control that I was able to get with SAM Broadcaster.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited March 2015

LeoK said: Any recommendations on minimal requirement for Airtime? I see they suggest 1gb ram,

I am able to run it on a 512Kb RAM vps with 10GB normal HDD and it runs fine.
    Reccomended specs would be 1GB ram, good connectivity with the area you are targeting and as much disc space as you need for the songs and sound files you will need.

The bandwidth is depending on what use you will have, how many listeners you expect etc. Airtime is able to do multiple streams of the same station, for different bitrates (e.g. 128kb stereo + 32kb mono for mobile phones). Also, you can chose from mp3 to AAC3+ or .ogg as encoding.
    As an example, a 64kb icecast with 20 listeners 24/7 will need daily 21.973GB of bandwidth + incoming bandwidth if you do live shows from your studio (about 600GB per month).
    Have in mind that it is difficult to achieve 20 listeners 24/7. You sometimes will have 50 or 60 listeners and some times 3-5. But, this has to do with the popularity of your radio station.

• LeoKLeoK Member

I do not expect many listeners...

• LeoK said: I do not expect many listeners...

Do you want an online system that play rotation of music and you to be able to do random live shows or the web radio will be transmitting from your home/studio thru a pc and you only need an icecast/shoutcast server?

If you want, I can setup a server for you (of course, for free!). Just pm' me.

• LeoKLeoK Member
    edited March 2015

jvnadr said: Do you want an online system that play rotation of music and you to be able to do random live shows or the web radio will be transmitting from your home/studio thru a pc and you only need an icecast/shoutcast server?

I want the station to be isolated on one server. (not have to keep my PC online) It will prob just be playing like old famous speeches and other weird stuff. Randomly with little scheduled programing. I have installed "AirTime" per your tutorial (thank you) I am having a configuration problem of some sort.

• LeeLee Veteran

@jvnadr said:
    If you want, I can setup a server for you (of course, for free!). Just pm' me.

It would be cool if you could do an update tutorial on airtime.

• @Lee said:
    It would be cool if you could do an update tutorial on airtime.

Airtime is pretty easy to setup.
    sourcefabric.booktype.pro/airtime-25-for-broadcasters/automated-installation/

• +1 on airtime, I've used it. Very easy to install and use