Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Iwstack - advice
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Iwstack - advice

Hello, I need a VPS in Europe (better if in Italy) and I would like some advice on iwstack, about which I read some positive opinions. In particular, I would like to know something about the core performances and which linux iso are available for installation.

(thank you in advance)

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

You can install any x86 (32 or 64 bit) ISO available over http/ftp.
    About the core performances, it depends, IWStack is not an homogenous product, there are more zones and setups, but, i would say it can compare with other serious clouds out there, in average.

• evnixevnix Member

I cannot comment on performance, but the zone which I am in is performing very well.
    I chose iwstack because of the uptime and reliability which for me are more important than pure performance.

• Their OLD KVM zones gives pretty low results in UnixBench. So if you need a fast server, iwstack may not be the right choice for you. I have not benchmarked their new ZEN zone.. The fastest "cloud" servers out there have Vultr. They really have fast servers, and most cloud features like iwstack, but of course, they are not a real cloud provider like iwstack (HA, Virtual network etc)
    Aff link: http://www.vultr.com/?ref=6802732

• Personally, I recommend iwStack. Based upon my uses of it so far, very good in both cost-performance sense, and overall stability.

Thanked by 2Maounique Infinity
  • I can't recommend it because of uptime / communication issues.

However the Xen zone is pretty fast, and apart from the power/network issues the VMs themselves were running OK for the ~3 months I used it.

• lbftlbft Member
    edited August 2015

myhken said: The fastest "cloud" servers out there have Vultr. They really have fast servers, and most cloud features like iwstack, but of course, they are not a real cloud provider like iwstack (HA, Virtual network etc) Aff link: http://www.vultr.com/?ref=klgjdfsklhgjsdklfj

HAY GUISE LOOK AT MY AFFILIATE LINK BECAUSE I'M A < PRANCING PONY >

• SeFlow works fine for Italy location

Thanked by 1essebe
  • @myhken : I know Vultr has good hardware (I already have a couple of servers with them), but, in this case, I need something like iwstack (for those additional options which are not so useless)

• @Maounique: Milan-DC2 would be perfect, if you can confirm it has E5-2680 2.7 Ghz, as I read somewhere on LET.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited August 2015

@lbft said:
    HAY GUISE LOOK AT MY AFFILIATE LINK BECAUSE I'M A< PRANCING PONY >

What terrible, absolutely unforgivable thing has come of the affiliate link? I don't understand why people whine and bitch.

• GeekoineGeekoine Member
    edited April 2015

@Microlinux: I agree (and if someone has an affiliate link for Iwstack, I will be happy to use it)

• sumosumo Member
    edited August 2015

@lbft said:
    HAY GUISE LOOK AT MY AFFILIATE LINK BECAUSE I'M A < PRANCING PONY >

@myhken did specify it was an affiliate link, so it should be fine

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I can also recommend you Vultr, because they pay their affiliates very well.
    Here's my affiliate link: http://www.vultr.com/?ref=234232

• I finally decided to try iwstack. I have a couple of instances with them: 123 days, 100% uptime (on both), excellent network, fast SAN, consistent processor performance (xen area). I should say perfect.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • Geekoine said: I finally decided to try iwstack. I have a couple of instances with them: 123 days, 100% uptime (on both), excellent network, fast SAN, consistent processor performance (xen area). I should say perfect.

Dallas or Milano?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2015

sumo said: @myhken did specify it was an affiliate link, so it should be fine

There's always that nagging question, would he post that load of vultr praise, if not for the affiliate link. And there's always a chance that no. So nope, those are not fine, really.

• @black said:
    Dallas or Milano?

Milano

@black said:
    Dallas or Milano?

Only Milano has a Xen zone.

• You cant go wrong with Seflow.

• ZweiTiger said: You cant go wrong with Seflow.

???
    Iwstack are Prometeus, not Seflow/Domflow (but both are good)

• LeeLee Veteran

jvnadr said: Iwstack are Prometeus

Having said that I don't really see people raving too much about Iwstack these days. Prometeus yes.

edited August 2015

@Lee said:

IWStack had growth pains. We did not imagine will go that fast up and did not think will have such issues with thousands of small volumes, so the storage was not thought accordingly and as a result it grew slow and locked up at times.
    However, after learning a lot these couple of years and a very successful Xen zone, we revamped the old KVM zone too and now have all nodes running Ubuntu on ceph instead of centos with clvm.
    No lockup happened since and vm spin up time is on par with DO even for large volumes to be created on the fly.
    Note: Dallas is an exception, since it has local SSD storage, we had no issues with lock-ups so did not consider it is worth downtime to migrate, even if spinup time is still very long for big volumes.

However, the reason for which IWStack is no longer in the news is that only people that need the features use it now, the rest either consider it too complicated (the majority), or consider it is too pricey compared with other pay-by-the-minute offers which is natural if you do not need the features, why bother to pay about the same or more and have to learn how to avoid being encumbered by the features if you do not need them.
    This is perfectly OK for us, we never intended the usage to be for people which make a 1 GB disk and the 384 MB instance to have a VPN because is cheaper than an OVZ somewhere else even if we do have a completely different setup for the enterprise users, together with our VMWare clouds. It is still targeted for the people which know what they are doing in spite of creating a dumbed down interface for those that do not manage in the cloudstack one.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Maounique said: No lockup happened since and vm spin up time is on par with DO even for large volumes to be created on the fly.

This was one of my biggest concerns back in the time, VM creation did really take a long time. Good to know it's not the case anymore :)

• GeekoineGeekoine Member
    edited August 2015

@Lee said:

I'll write a short review as soon as I'll have some time. In my experience, Iwstack is the best provider, in comparison with dozens of others that I have tried in the last months (including some well-known)

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • i have instance since last 2 years .. they are great!

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Maounique said: No lockup happened since and vm spin up time is on par with DO even for large volumes to be created on the fly.

To be honest, that was my one complaint with iwStack - even 5 minutes to spin up an instance would have been OK but at times I was stuck waiting for 30 minutes or more. Might have to drop some credit back into my account and give it another go.

edited August 2015

Open a ticket and I will add you one credit to check.
    Do and other fast spinners offer thin storage, while we create the whole volume(s) and at times it might have taken a very long time with the old storage system, depending on their size, but, yeah, even 10 GB ones were slow.
    Just try to create a VM in virtualbox, one with dynamic volume and one with allocated at start and see the difference.