Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Outsourcing on online.net?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Outsourcing on online.net?

ChronicChronic Member
edited March 2015 in Help

Hi,

I have a couple of Kidechire from online.net that I don't really use. I feel like it's a shame for them to go unused, and it's a monthly expense that I could do without. I don't want to cancel them because I have plans for them a few months from now down the road.

I was wondering if somebody who's done it before could explain to me how the whole outsourcing thing works. Am I liable for any misuse of the servers by the person I outsource them to? Is it worth it? Has anyone done this successfully before, or is currently outsourcing their server this way?

Any insight into the matter would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• AmitzAmitz Member

Yes.
    No.
    No. (Why? See above)
    No. (Why? See above)

:-)

Thanked by 2Chronic stream4cast
  • cjdcjd Member

Don't outsource unless it is someone you can trust. You will be billed if they install Windows licences/any other chargeable expenses.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • NomadNomad Member

Yep. We have seen example of that.
    Some dude just rented one, installed windows and when he was handed the bill for the windows licence he made a run for it.

Unless you outsource it to someone you trust or someone within the fist range, don't.

Thanked by 2Chronic TriDoxiuM
  • Thank you for the advice. I will stay away from outsourcing given what was mentioned so far. 2 EUR per month isn't worth this kind of risk.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • AmitzAmitz Member

Wise decision! :-)

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • nunimnunim Member
    edited March 2015

Don't you need to have Billing access to order a Windows license? I can't even order an IPv6 block on my own. :(

In regards to abuse, I was under the impression that the outsourced person was able to receive the abuse notifications directly. There's a field where it allows you to specify where abuse emails are sent.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2015

I have a couple of Kidechire from online.net that I don't really use.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Thanked by 1default
  • @Jar said:
    This is why we can't have nice things.

He said he has plans for them down the road. Better than rent loads and rent out for double

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

You could just manually manage the server for them :/ dont let them have access to the online CP.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • They can order licenses through the installer - that was the message julien gave me. The guy had zero access to billing at all.

So far the last email I had from them stated they still expected payment. I will be paying the server rental but not the license. If they wish to chase me down in another country for 30 euro so be it.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • There is a online.net whmcs addon which could be used to not allow windows

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    There is a online.net whmcs addon which could be used to not allow windows

Where is it ??

• @Nomad said:
    Yep. We have seen example of that.
    Some dude just rented one, installed windows and when he was handed the bill for the windows licence he made a run for it.

Unless you outsource it to someone you trust or someone within the fist range, don't.

I had something similar happen where I outsourced one to a friend and they installed windows, cost more for the windows license than nearly a year of renting the actual server.

I haven't actually gotten around to sending them an invoice for that (or the server for that matter) and I'm not actually sure I actually ever will, probably just come to down to me telling him he's paying for the drinks next time we meet....

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • I also have an extra one I don't have a use for, if anyone wants it please PM else I will cancel!

• NomadNomad Member

Yep, drinks will do that in your case.

I was tempted to outsource my online.net sc gen2 when that incident happened here on let. Then I just dismissed the thought... Not worth the risk for someone I can't reach. (: