Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ReactOS on a VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ReactOS on a VPS?

kristalkristal Banned
edited October 2011 in General

Anyone played with / installed ReactOS on a low end box ?

Comments

• It doesn't actually run anything useful

• so far i see its like a slimmed windows which at startup takes 60mb ram... everything else works and seems like windows ;]

• hahahahahaha no.

• lol nice one, its my frist day wit it, i was hoping i could load it up on like a 128mb vps ;] and have a windows-ish vps @ cheap ;]

• This has gotten me curious, I may have to set a VM up and mess around with it.

• I suppose you could run it on KVM (or Xen HVM??) but I wouldn't expect it to be useful for anything other than being something to play around with.

• Running it using VMware player, i open firefox, run a search, and it freezes everytime, this is looking promising. I want to see how good application support is.

• kristalkristal Banned
    edited October 2011

oh i see, i was hoping for openvz

• kristal said: oh i see, i was hoping for openvz

Lol, that is funny

I'm just running it in a VM to test out Win application compatibility, but it keeps freezing up, so I can't really do anything :/.

Not happening ever, pretty much

Kairus said: Running it using VMware player, i open firefox, run a search, and it freezes everytime, this is looking promising. I want to see how good application support is.

Absolute shit, you're not going to have any application support more than hello world alert windows

• VBS is implemented? :D maybe no hello world xD

• kristalkristal Banned
    edited October 2011

@Kairus: try running in debug mode

@justinb: hello world, lol, joker :D

• kiloservekiloserve Member
    edited October 2011

Installation on KVM took less than 2 minutes...literally. Looks almost exactly like WinXP installation. Fastest OS install I've ever seen outside of DOS.

System boots in about 30 seconds...very fast.

Network drivers didn't install so I'm guessing there aren't compatible network drivers yet.

Mouse didn't work in KVM VNC box and it doesn't seem to support the usual Windows Keyboard shortcuts so I couldn't test it further.

It does look like fun though, and very fast. Impressive for an alpha product...very lightweight and very fast.

ReactOS in KVM VPS Screenshots:

http://upload.kiloserve.com/images/76737230020097743515.png
    http://upload.kiloserve.com/images/01780999639041555343.png
    http://upload.kiloserve.com/images/20505193957922648501.png
    http://upload.kiloserve.com/images/42198879451230377253.png
    Thanked by 1Xeoncross
  • but but but.... HOW?! ;]

• How? In your computer n_n
    With a provider? Ask if they can add the iso

• yeah that small OS has a very similar interface to that in Windows, if it functions the same then Windows killer is guaranteed

• ReactOS is written by Russian programmers

ReactOS is an open source computer operating system intended to be binary compatible with application software and device drivers made for Microsoft Windows NT versions 5.x and up (Windows 2000 and its successors).

Recent news:
    Russian President Medvedev asked to fund Windows clone
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14899507

• seem that the project been sold to microsoft not sure if it is true ..

http://marcelgagne.com/content/microsoft-buys-open-source-reactos-123-billion

according to their page on wiki the requirement are awsome :P

x86-compatible processor, Pentium or later
    24 MB RAM[34] (optimal 128MB)
    IDE hard drive of at least 150 MB
    FAT16/FAT32 Boot partition
    2 MB VGA graphics adapter
    CD-ROM drive
    Standard keyboard
    PS/2 Compatible mouse or Microsoft Mouse-compatible serial mouse[35]

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited October 2011

qwerty6666 said: seem that the project been sold to microsoft not sure if it is true ..

article from 1st April

• kylixkylix Member
    edited October 2011

ReactOS is actually a free project to build an OS that is open-source but is able to work like windows in terms of being able to execute windows-applications. On a local computer it works quite fine for an alpha-project. Actually it runs MS Works, OpenOffice, Notepad++, Firefox, VisualBasic 5 and several other applications (ie Flash, Unreal Tournament) quite fine, see: http://www.reactos.org/en/screenshots.html

To select a working network card see here: http://www.reactos.org/wiki/Supported_Hardware/Network_cards

• I loaded ReactOS (It is selectable from the ISO pool now) and it loaded easy enough, but once booted, there is some more configuration to do and I was unable to navigate any of it, asking to click next, there was no mouse tracking and Alt+N was a failure too. This was in KVM. I did see they have a QEMU image available, so next time I get bored I will give that a try, but so far, looks exciting as something customers would want, but fails to deliver.

• The biggest problem with ReactOS, in my opinion, is that it will always be at least 1 version behind Windows, and probably 2 or 3 versions in practice. It looks like a fun, interesting project, but it will never compete with Windows, or even Linux for that matter. If it ever does achieve 100% Windows XP/2003 compatibility (which is a lofty goal that I don't think they'll ever actually achieve), it'll only be useful for running legacy applications that can't be run on Windows 7/8/whatever version Windows is on by the time they finish, and even then, people will prefer to use Windows rather than change anything, even if that means they don't get any support from Microsoft.

• SimplyfastSimplyfast Member
    edited October 2011

Well it may actually be very useful for netbook users.
    Also, for some people, a bunch of legasy software is more than enough .
    It's a good start anyway.

Edit: I'll try it on my asus eeepc.

• ReactOS is just a toy. I don't think it's even smoother than using wine under Linux.

• kylixkylix Member
    edited October 2011

danielfeng said: ReactOS is just a toy. I don't think it's even smoother than using wine under Linux.

So you tried it? Or is this just a guess without any substance behind it? Because for me ReactOS runs much better than any Wine-config. No offense. I'm just curious about your conclusion because of my different experience with both setups.

NickM said: It looks like a fun, interesting project, but it will never compete with Windows, or even Linux for that matter.

Its intention is not to compete with Windows or Linux, as far as I understand. Its intention is to make an open-source Windows on the NT path and keep stability on this way and slowly introduce new features (from MS and their own). See it as the Windows version of a Debian stable.

• kylix said: So you tried it? Or is this just a guess without any substance behind it? Because for me ReactOS runs much better than any Wine-config. No offense. I'm just curious about your conclusion because of my different experience with both setups.

Tried it months ago in VirtualBox. It's okay to run only a few small programs but anything related to driver would fail. A lot of functions are still incomplete.

• Edit: I'll try it on my asus eeepc.

Hmmm.....

• tuxtux Member

kristal said: everything else works and seems like windows ;]

Where is BSoD?

• Do not forget the numerous error but no info things. Got to love that one. Hey you have an error, no I won't tell you where or why!!! Mwahahahahaha