Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to secure MySQL using command line
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to secure MySQL using command line

zserozsero Member
edited September 2012 in General

I'd like to write a command line script for Debian, what secures a MySQL installation, just like mysql_secure_installation.

Do you know any way to either: emulate user inputs to mysql_secure_installation, thus make it run inside a script or to replicate the functionality by SQL statements?

Here is how far I came:

Remove anonymous users: (users with no password) idea:

DROP USER ''@'localhost';

DROP USER ''@'host_name';

problem: I don't know host name in a script file, would be better with where password = '', but I don't know how to combine it with drop user.

DELETE FROM user WHERE user = '';

does it, but AFAIK, it doesn't remove privileges. I'd better use DROP USER for this.

Disallow root login remotely: I think it is to remove the root user, what's host isn't "localhost", "127.0.0.1" or "::1" Any idea how to do this? A stronger alternative is to have skip-networking in the config file:

[mysqld]

skip-networking

Remove test database and access to it:

DROP DATABASE test;

What do I need to do to remove privileges on the test database? Isn't this enought?

Finally, flusing the priviliges:

FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

References

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/mysql-secure-installation.html

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/default-privileges.html

Comments

• I know that minstall guy allows you to just press Y/N on running the secure Installation, don't think you can emulate that process, but surely you can make a script that does the same thing with user defined variables.

• Tuxlite does this for you too

• zserozsero Member
    edited September 2012

Both scripts just call "mysql_secure_installation", this is what I want to replicate for minstall 2.0 / unattended mode.

At the moment there is no script what does this automatically.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root password $mysqlrootpwd

cat > /tmp/mysql_sec_script<<EOF
    use mysql;
    update user set password=password('$mysqlrootpwd') where user='root';
    delete from user where not (user='root') ;
    delete from user where user='root' and password='';
    drop database test;
    DROP USER ''@'%';
    flush privileges;
    EOF

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -u root -p$mysqlrootpwd -h localhost < /tmp/mysql_sec_script

rm -f /tmp/mysql_sec_script

• @zhuany, Nice one! I'm writing this in Python at the moment, but it's going to be much more complex. I think it's quite hard with simple SQL to remove the users permissions from mysql.db too.

• @zhuanyi said: delete from user where not (user='root') ;

And this deletes debian sys maintenance too, plus any user you might have there. I think it's a script only for fresh installations.

• @zsero said: And this deletes debian sys maintenance too, plus any user you might have there. I think it's a script only for fresh installations.

Sorry, I thought this is for new installations, didn't read the post carefully enough

• zserozsero Member
    edited September 2012

I think it's next to impossible to do this with a simple shell command, here is how it my Python tool looks at the moment:
    http://pastebin.com/M107Hiqt