Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SoftEther help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SoftEther help

deadbeefdeadbeef Member
edited March 2015 in Help

After reading the old SoftEther thread, I thought I'd give it a try. I am trying to conect via L2TP/IPSEC from the phone.

I get a failure of the negotiation of the auth message on the phone side. On the server logs I see this:

2015-03-16 22:36:16.538 Session "SID-MOBI2-[L2TP]-7": The parameter has been set. Max number of TCP connections: 1, Use of encryption: Yes, Use of compression: No, Use of Half duplex communication: No, Timeout: 20 seconds.

2015-03-16 22:36:16.538 Session "SID-MOBI2-[L2TP]-7": VPN Client details: (Client product name: "L2TP VPN Client", Client version: 408, Client build number: 9449, Server product name: "SoftEther VPN Server (32 bit) (Open Source)", Server version: 408, Server build number: 9449, Client OS name: "L2TP VPN Client", Client OS version: "-", Client product ID: "-", Client host name: "anonymous", Client IP address: "109.xxx.xxx.xxx", Client port number: 1701, Server host name: "100.xxx.xxx.xxx", Server IP address: "100..xxx.xxx.xxx", Server port number: 1701, Proxy host name: "", Proxy IP address: "0.0.0.0", Proxy port number: 0, Virtual Hub name: "VPN", Client unique ID: "465D0631C3704B548ABxxxx")

2015-03-16 22:36:28.690 Session "SID-MOBI2-[L2TP]-7": The session has been terminated. The statistical information is as follows: Total outgoing data size: 0 bytes, Total incoming data size: 1320 bytes.

Any idea what the problem could be? Given the above and my minimal experience with VPN setups, I'm out of clues :|

Comments

• Solved it, I had to enable Secure NAT:

IP Address Assignment for L2TP Logged-in Users
    In L2TP function, an IP address of a VPN Client must be assigned automatically by a DHCP server on the destination Virtual Hub's segment.
    Therefore, you have to at least one running DHCP server on the destination L2 segment which the L2TP VPN Client attempts to login.
    An IP address will be leased from the DHCP server, and the IP address will be assigned on the L2TP VPN client session. Default gateway, subnet mask, DNS address and WINS address will be also applied on the L2TP VPN client. So if no DHCP server, no login successes.
    You can use any DHCP Server which is already existing on your local network. You can use SecureNAT's Virtual DHCP Server Function which is implemented on SoftEther VPN Server if you don't any DHCP servers on the LAN.

• NomadNomad Member

Or install dnsmasq. Better than SecureNAT

Thanked by 2deadbeef netomx
  • deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited March 2015

@Nomad said:
    Or install dnsmasq. Better than SecureNAT

Thanks! I'll monitor the CPU usage with SecureNAT and if it turns problematic, I'll look into it (have no idea how to set it up with the vpn at this point).

• NomadNomad Member

@deadbeef You can try referring this for debian based setup. It's not complete and I lack the time right now but it might help.

• @Nomad said:
    deadbeef You can try referring this for debian based setup. It's not complete and I lack the time right now but it might help.

This is fantastic, many thanks!

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited March 2015

@Nomad

Are you able to get it to work on pure IPv6 only server?

This question is for Local Bridge setup.

• NomadNomad Member

@Chuck, I don't know... Since I don't have native IPv6 connection I can't test it. Plus if it were to work, not having IPv4 you can't enter to many sites.

But it works with Nat IPv4, IPv4 + Tunneled IPv6 and IPv4 + native IPv6.