Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for (preferably) KVM in Dallas, 2GB RAM, 50GB SSD, 1Gbps port for less than $10/mo
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for (preferably) KVM in Dallas, 2GB RAM, 50GB SSD, 1Gbps port for less than $10/mo

Short form:

I'd be happy with a Wable like configuration (I'd use Wable, except it doesn't allow any "digital currency related activities").

Wable is 5 vCPU, 4GB RAM, 80GB SSD after using Facebook promo code, for $9/mo ($8 + sales tax as Tx resident).

Super long form:

I'd much prefer KVM. But if something with OpenVZ/SolusVM/etc. had great specs, that'd be fine too (^^ like the wable specs).

SSD isn't really necessary either, just need fast disk reads, so a bunch of SATA drives in some striping RAID array would be fine (hell, I'd be fine with RAID 0, that's what my Hetzner servers run with...).

Disk IOPS on other VPS/KVMs are less than 5 average read and less than 0.5 average write over the last week (obv a lot higher when first being set up, but not much afterwards). Besides initial setup, should max at something like 50-75 (read), but wouldn't be sustained for more than a few seconds.

2GB or more RAM (for decent dbcache, keeps the disk IOPS low). 1.5GB would be OK, if you don't mind near 100% memory usage and higher disk IOPS. Also would want at least 2 vCPU (maybe 3, depending on what the base CPU is), the more the merrier as far as CPU power goes.

Would be just to run bitcoind 24/7 essentially. The actual bandwidth usage would be maybe 50% more than what is displayed on http://chief.nogleg.com/stats.html or http://xipe-totec.nogleg.com/stats.html (essentially <1TB/mo upstream, <100GB/mo downstream, excluding day 1). It does need to have the ability to burst up to, say, something around 40MB/s (so 1Gbps port).

When propagating new blocks I've seen my Hetzners hit 100MB/s, but those run about 3x more connections than the VPS/KVM nodes (and also process the blocks much faster, so get more requests).

I guess the most notable thing is that it'd have a ton of connections. Average PPM for my other KVM/VPS nodes are 300-350 incoming, 300-350 outgoing. This would be higher (maybe ~400-500), with the extra connections.

Comments

• RaptaRapta Member

I don't think many providers allow coin mining.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited March 2015

Seems I may not have understand what the op was after... amending this in the mean time..

Cheers!

• Rapta said: I don't think many providers allow coin mining.

He does not want to run mining - He wants to run a chain server.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited March 2015

@William said:

Okay, seems I'm hopelessly behind the times :(
    What's a chain server?

• bersybersy Member
    edited March 2015

https://drserver.net/abusive-cores plan2 is fairly close to requested specs and your budget.

• DBADBA Member

The bitcoin blockchain is over 30GB now and is very likely to be over 50GB by the end of the year. Might want to adjust your storage requirements.

• I would go with 50GB for now. Hopefully in the next year we will have the ability purn the Blockchain. Some clients are working on that ability.

• zevuszevus Member

Hey,

No, it's not for mining some altcoin. Back when that was worth doing, I had a couple dozen E3-1270's for that, not some VPS. =p

I can still fit the blockchain on a 40GB drive (with about 4GB to spare)... 50GB should be enough room for at least 6 months, I'd think...... unless there's some second coming of satoshi dice transaction spam.

Bersy - thanks, yeah, I think I can make something work there

• zevuszevus Member

... if I can get him to add 30GB of HDD space. =p

The $10 sugarvps deal would work too, but has the 40GB thing again.

Vultr and Digital Ocean also have that damn 40GB step. =/