Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Effectiveness or otherwise of Windows 7 background maintenance programs (e.g. Tuneup Utilities)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Effectiveness or otherwise of Windows 7 background maintenance programs (e.g. Tuneup Utilities)

figurefigure Member

What are your views on Windows 7 maintenance programs that run in the background (e.g. Tuneup Utilities)? I have a friend who's laptop has Tuneup Utilities running at around 45% cpu constantly. Is the benefit worth the overhead?

Comments

• wychwych Member

No.

• Crap

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

The amount of time that you put in to "optimize" the installation is less worth then what you would "pay" for a reinstall or even a new computer.

Basicly, not worth it.

• sinsin Member

I never use tools like that on my Windows install, the only "tuneup" I do is run Bleachbit every now and then but I keeps my installs pretty clean.

• No. CCleaner is much better performance wise and CPU usage.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

TheKiller said: No. CCleaner is much better performance wise and CPU usage.

Caches are there for a reason, usually is not needed or even useful to wipe them.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

All the tuning programs are pretty much useless in my humble opinion. I use CCleaner twice a year and that's it.

• @sin said:
    I never use tools like that on my Windows install,

me too!

• Rob92Rob92 Member

Probably not worth it.

• Wired, I use tune up for 2 years, it only maintain when I leave the computer.

• sc754sc754 Member

No they are rubbish. If there was a way to optimise windows then I think microsoft would have done it already