Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

    Rage4 Alternatives? Need a solid DNS service.
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

    Rage4 Alternatives? Need a solid DNS service.

    JonchunJonchun Member, Provider
    edited March 2015 in General

    I just signed up and tested Rage4, and while I'm loving all the features, it seems the service is missing wildcard MX records. (their faq has a feature request for it and it is marked completed, but it doesn't work)

    Does anyone have any suggestions for a DNS service that supports the following?

    Required:

    • Vanity Nameservers
    • Wildcard MX records
    • Has been in business for a while

    Preferred:

    • HA/Anycast
    • Cheap pricing

    Or would you guys suggest I just run my own DNS using cPanel? (on multiple nodes of course)

    Also, does anyone here have experience with rage4? I literally JUSt signed up with them and added my domain and my "current usage" has jumped to over 1200 out of 250000 in the last hour (this is a brand new domain registered a couple days ago with no traffic)

    Comments

    • cassacassa Member, Provider

      The support slowness is indeed pretty slow. Still pretty much requests from 2013 haven't been answered.

      I haven't been able to find something yet, seems like most DNS software don't support wildcard MX.

      ik moet poepen

    • fazarfazar Member

      Personally, I will recommended NSONE.

      Thanked by 1MarkTurner
    • JonchunJonchun Member, Provider

      @cassa said:
      The support slowness is indeed pretty slow. Still pretty much requests from 2013 haven't been answered.

      I haven't been able to find something yet, seems like most DNS software don't support wildcard MX.

      I found https://pointhq.com/ which supports it. I'm just looking for a couple more suggestions before upgrading to their paid plan (which supports custom/vanity nameservers as well)

    • Why don't you use Power DNS with 2 or 3 slaves with Mysql replication. I am using this setup for couple of domains and really happy with performance. But I don't know if it support wildcard MX

      Thanked by 1linuxthefish
    • JonchunJonchun Member, Provider

      @praveen said:
      Why don't you use Power DNS with 2 or 3 slaves with Mysql replication. I am using this setup for couple of domains and really happy with performance. But I don't know if it support wildcard MX

      Would be more expensive than a 3rd party DNS provider. If the 3rd party is reliable, I don't know why I would want to manage my own DNS.

    • Jonchun said: If the 3rd party is reliable, I don't know why I would want to manage my own DNS.

      Yes, I never felt the need to manage my own dns, even when they were down briefly, I am sure i would have made more mistakes and caused more downtime than specialized people which work on this at their day job.

      Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.

    • gbshousegbshouse Member, Provider

      I'll check the wildcard MX issue, if it's not present we will add it within 24h

      Thanked by 2Chronic cassa
    • JonchunJonchun Member, Provider

      @gbshouse said:
      I'll check the wildcard MX issue, if it's not present we will add it within 24h

      Great. I've actually signed up for a paid account at a different provider (PointDNS), but I'll be sure to check on Rage4 later on. Definitely looks like a solid service.

      Another thing to check on your end or perhaps a feature request would be to see where all the dns requests are coming from. In under an hour I had over a thousand requests and it was rising steadily. (at that rate, i would have been invoiced for a lot more than I wanted to as it would have broken 250,000 free very quickly)

    • DNSmadeEasy offers everything that you want and had 100% uptime for like 5 years or so.

      Thanked by 1Jonchun

      tsdns.io - free, redundant, DDoS-protected TSDNS

    • @Jonchun said:
      Would be more expensive than a 3rd party DNS provider. If the 3rd party is reliable, I don't know why I would want to manage my own DNS.

      Regarding the cost it works well with two low end VPS servers
      Regarding the need to mange it .. this depends.. for me I like to play with it and have couple of idle VPS. Another thing is that I can manipulate the DNS records easily using MYSQL queries.

      Rage4 is a good choice and I am using them for some important clients and of course perform better as it is anycast.

    • Why need pay for DNS hosting? A lot of shared hosting providers offer DNS hosting for free. What wrong with it?

      Yes, I can boogie

    • You don't need powerful servers for DNS. Unless we're talking about thousands and thousands of domains you can easily run e.g. NSD on lowest end VPS.

      That said, I'm afraid that distribution/resilience and features are what drives prices up. Classical scenario: You need DNS for a couple of domains and standard feature set, no problem, cheap, maybe even free. As soon as you need enhanced features or a non trivial number of domains it quickly turns into a "business class" thing.

      Maybe helpful: If you have many domains with quite identical setup some DNS servers (e.g. NSD) offer you a way to use templates making your job easier. Those who don't offer that can still be easily handled, albeit with somewhat more (one time) work using $INCLUDE directives.

      In case you wished to chose that path I can offer some practical help (or advising, as you please) - (for free as long as it's not more than an hour or so of work).

      My favourite prime number is 42. - \forall cpu in {intel, amd, arm}: cpu->speed -= cpu->speed/100 x irandom(15, 30) | state := hacked

    • JonchunJonchun Member, Provider
      edited March 2015

      @tr1cky said:
      DNSmadeEasy offers everything that you want and had 100% uptime for like 5 years or so.

      Wow. I misread their pricing. For some reason I thought their pricing was monthly instead of annually. Now I'm regretting my current choice :P

      On an unrelated note, I don't like Rage4's pricing model... If I'm understanding it correctly, they're asking a euro/month for every zone I add? o.o

      @fitvpn said:
      Why need pay for DNS hosting? A lot of shared hosting providers offer DNS hosting for free. What wrong with it?

      This is what's wrong with LET.

    • JonchunJonchun Member, Provider

      @bsdguy said:
      You don't need powerful servers for DNS. Unless we're talking about thousands and thousands of domains you can easily run e.g. NSD on lowest end VPS.

      That said, I'm afraid that distribution/resilience and features are what drives prices up. Classical scenario: You need DNS for a couple of domains and standard feature set, no problem, cheap, maybe even free. As soon as you need enhanced features or a non trivial number of domains it quickly turns into a "business class" thing.

      Maybe helpful: If you have many domains with quite identical setup some DNS servers (e.g. NSD) offer you a way to use templates making your job easier. Those who don't offer that can still be easily handled, albeit with somewhat more (one time) work using $INCLUDE directives.

      In case you wished to chose that path I can offer some practical help (or advising, as you please) - (for free as long as it's not more than an hour or so of work).

      This is really just for one domain. (which is why I'm leaning towards a 3rd party provider)

    • gbshousegbshouse Member, Provider

      @Jonchun - we charge only for zones which exceeded free usage tier

    • JonchunJonchun Member, Provider

      @gbshouse said:
      Jonchun - we charge only for zones which exceeded free usage tier

      So the request tiers are per zone and not per domain?

    • @Jonchun said:
      This is really just for one domain. (which is why I'm leaning towards a 3rd party provider)

      OK. Unfortunately I can't help you with tips for providers as I do not use any DNS providers. But yes, at first glance Rage4 looks expensive for many domains (caveat: I didn't have a closer look).

      Picking up some names I heard here, namely dnseasy and nsone I've heard good things about both of them, both performance and realiability wise. They would also be high up on my list if I needed that kind of service.

      Thanked by 1Jonchun

      My favourite prime number is 42. - \forall cpu in {intel, amd, arm}: cpu->speed -= cpu->speed/100 x irandom(15, 30) | state := hacked

    • JonchunJonchun Member, Provider

      @bsdguy said:
      Picking up some names I heard here, namely dnseasy and nsone I've heard good things about both of them, both performance and realiability wise. They would also be high up on my list if I needed that kind of service.

      Thanks a lot for your tips. If my situation changes, I'll be sure to hit you up :)

    • gbshousegbshouse Member, Provider

      @Jonchun zone != domain, you can have multiple zones per domain (for example if you delegate subdomains so they can be managed separately). In most cases it's 1:1.

    • JonchunJonchun Member, Provider

      @gbshouse said:
      Jonchun zone != domain, you can have multiple zones per domain (for example if you delegate subdomains so they can be managed separately). In most cases it's 1:1.

      Yea I got it. I need some sleep :P Hopefully you guys get the mx stuff working soon.

    • gbshousegbshouse Member, Provider
    • JonchunJonchun Member, Provider

      @gbshouse said:
      Jonchun - support for wildcard MX is now available

      I may switch back to Rage4 then! :) There goes the $6 I spent already.. guess I'll skip a big mac~

    • @fitvpn said:
      Why need pay for DNS hosting? A lot of shared hosting providers offer DNS hosting for free. What wrong with it?

      Cpanel DNS management is a little strange, and your provider might decide to randomly reset your domain for whatever reason.

      You can edit the zone file directly if you have WHM access, but again your provider might get a little fussy and delete your custom records.

    • I use cPanel DNS hosting over a years, nothing reset or not working, all depending which provider you pick up.

      Yes, I can boogie

    • I have used DNSmadeEasy the last 8 years, no issues at all with them. And their prices is not bad at all.

      Thanked by 1Jonchun

      Kenneth Myhre
      WindowsTemplate.com - free Windows templates for OVH/Hetzner/Kimsufi/Online.net

      Powered by Hetzner.com, backed up by OVH, Kimsufi and VULTR.com

    • MaouniqueMaounique Member
      edited March 2015

      I used freedns.afraid.org and still using. While it was not without downtime over the years, i can count about 1 a year which was total (not only slow resolve) or more than an hour. Everything else i needed is there, it even gives you the cron to paste with the key for a subdomain in the dynamic IP case. In some 10 years+, i can say it was rock solid for free.

      I only needed basic service, though.

      Thanked by 1aglodek

      Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.

    • Been using cloudns.net for some of my domains, seems to work ok.

    • vyalavyala Member

      cloudflare is good as well, anyone faced downtime with them? I use it for DNS, rest are with KeyCDN (https/http), only own Origin server.

    • Try Google Cloud DNS or Amazon AWS

    • utamautama Member

      NSONE is pretty good.

    • JonchunJonchun Member, Provider

      @NameStuff said:
      Just my DNS system,

      http://www.dnsbed.com/API.pdf

      This is sweet. Who/how is this hosted? I don't see any paid services.

    • vyalavyala Member

      Now I migrated to Rage4, tried CloudFlare and DNSimple.

      In my case, I use ALIAS for A record, found that DNSimple and Cloudflare are slow in resolving it. I used mapping to KeyCDN directly.

      My subdomains were very fast, they loaded from near by location. But the A record with Alias is always mapping to USA location. Instead of 50 ms ping to singapore (from India), I had 300-500 ms.

      Now moved to Rage4, hoping that their geo-dns may help to solve this issue.

      @gbshouse,

      How ALIAS records is handled on Rage4 with respect to Geo locations? are they estimated closeness to user or nameserver?

    • @Jonchun said: This is sweet. Who/how is this hosted? I don't see any paid services.

      Chinese company based in Guangzhou.

      Andrew Glodek | Special Projects Director | 香港國際商務中心 HONG KONG INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS CENTRE
    Sign In or Register to comment.