Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ID verification with unknown provider ok?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ID verification with unknown provider ok?

Hi guys,

I've wanted to order a server with ikoula last week. Now they are asking for ID verification. I looked up the business and appearantly they have been in business since 1998. Still, I'm not too keen on handing copies of my ID to everyone over the Internet as one can imagine the security risks with that. What is you guys' personal policy about handing your ID to $randomcompany?

Do you send ID upon request
  1. Do you send ID upon request?70 votes
    1. Yes
      18.57%
    2. No
      71.43%
    3. Yes, but with additional demands to host
      10.00%

Comments

• Put some overlay text on the ID saying something like "For ikoula verification ONLY" and in very big fonts - not to kill the ID info, but enough so it can't be ripped and used for other purposes.

• As far as I know it's not allowed to copy your ID in my Country, and I never had to send it to anyone.

• adxnadxn Member, Host Rep

Just make sure to not expose too much of Information!

• Not worth it for some $5 a month VPS, but they look a trustworthy company and the domain has actually been registered since 1998.

• Ask for ID for non local citizen must be prohibited by laws. Only police can ask for docs.

• fitvpn said: Ask for ID for non local citizen must be prohibited by laws. Only police can ask for docs.

But in the US you are not required to give them your docs without a court order.

Thanked by 1namhuy
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2015

I don't know how this is in other countries, but here we have something called "electronic signature". It's a USB device with some memory card in it that contain public and private encryption keys. It also contains information about me which uniquely identified me.

I can use this electronic signature to login to my online banking. I can use it to login to government institutions and to request information and other services from them. I can use it to electronically sign documents, and these documents have the same legal power as documents signed on paper.

It's voluntary, you only get one if you want to get one and to ease your life (i.e. electronic banking and electronic documents). It's also not free, there is a yearly fee for the certificates.

Do other countries have similar things? Are they widely used? Is there some similar system that is widely used internationally?

I wouldn't mind identifying myself with similar electronic signature, but i always have second thoughts about giving scans of my ID card. I only give my ID card to government institutions, banks and paypal.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2015

They are very strict about verification. They even called me and they couldn't speak English, which was stupid.

The control panel and billing are also terrible and they invoiced me for services I canceled months ago.

If I were you I would pass, plenty of fish in the sea.

Thanked by 2geekalot ATHK
  • geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited March 2015

@ditrone: Have to agree with @Nyr on this.

(I do not know this provider and cannot speak to their service quality, etc)

Not worth the risk to your personal information, IMHO

• rds100 said: Do other countries have similar things? Are they widely used? Is there some similar system that is widely used internationally?

Not here (AU). Not in HK from what I know either. Not in a few other countries I know of as well.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • concerto49 said: concerto49

So if you need something from the government, like to check your taxes, etc. you always have to go in person? No e-services?

By the way the device i have is "omnikey cardman 6121". Though there are other supported devices too.

• @rds100 said:
    So if you need something from the government, like to check your taxes, etc. you always have to go in person? No e-services?

In the UK they send you a verification code via the post to your address for govt e-services.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • fitvpnfitvpn Member
    edited March 2015

Silvenga said: Silvenga

Not only.

Collect copies of real docs in file and exactly non local is illegal. All data leaked very easy. No one know where these ID going to

• @rds100 said:

That exists in Greece as well.
    For e-banking services. Stucks like hell though, at least from my experience some years ago with the National Bank of Greece.

• any web host that asks for such stuff run far.

• I would censor some information, and send the (censored) copy the provider.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

If no one sends them an ID, they will have to stop asking for it.

Thanked by 1fitvpn
  • fitvpnfitvpn Member
    edited March 2015

Sometimes need ask for provider ID card

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • earlearl Member

I canceled my order from Hetzner cause they asked me for a scan of my passport, they made a point of not blurring out my date of birth!..

even thought the server was a really good deal I ended up just cancelling, I don't think the risk is worth it considering they've been hacked before.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • wychwych Member
    edited March 2015

I did ID verification with @bene_online / Online.net as they assured me once the ID had been confirmed it is wiped from their systems. Nobody else has requested it.

Pretty much the only reason I sent it or else I would have looked elsewhere.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@rds100 said:

Aus here too. Yep you can do all that online through a MyGOV account. Just a simple username and password, doesn't even support 2 factor.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • Yes, but I blur some info :)

• One of my encounter, the hosting company told me it is for fraud prevention. Beside ID, they also ask for credit card. Found the process too troublesome, eventually cancel my order with them.

• I've never been asked for ID, and I have probably 45 or so VPS(s) and a few dedicated servers from Dacentec, Kimsufi, Online.net and now Ikoula. I guess I'm just a trustworthy guy :).