Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ECC Ram on 1and1.com A8i Dedicated Server seems to be MIA, need expert advice
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ECC Ram on 1and1.com A8i Dedicated Server seems to be MIA, need expert advice

Hello guys

I just got a new server with 1and1.com called A8i that is supposed to come with ECC Ram
according with my research ECC modules are supposed to have extra bits for ECC (72 bits).... am I missing something here? Need some expert advice before I cancel this server....

from wikipedia:

Several approaches have been developed to deal with unwanted bit-flips, including immunity-aware programming, RAM parity memory, and ECC memory.
This problem can be mitigated by using DRAM modules that include extra memory bits and memory controllers that exploit these bits.

What is the difference between 72 bit and 64 bit memory?

72 bit memory is commonly known as ECC memory. It has an additional 8 bits for Error Correction Check. 64 bit memory is non-ECC (Non- Parity). 72 bit or 64 bit configuration are typically found in 168 pin DIMMs

How to detect memory type under Linux?

Data width = 64 (8 banks * 8 bits)
Total width = 72 (9 banks * 8 bits)
The extra bank indicates that ECC is active.

1and1 tells me that the modules on the server are Kingston ECC model KVR16LSE11/4KF

heres the dmidecode info from my server:

[root@u18254827 ~]# dmidecode --type memory

dmidecode 2.12

SMBIOS 2.8 present.

Handle 0x002B, DMI type 16, 23 bytes
Physical Memory Array
Use: System Memory
Error Correction Type: Single-bit ECC
Maximum Capacity: 64 GB
Error Information Handle: Not Provided
Number Of Devices: 4

Handle 0x002C, DMI type 17, 34 bytes
Memory Device
Array Handle: 0x002B
Total Width: 64 bits
Data Width: 64 bits
Size: 4096 MB
Form Factor: SODIMM
Set: None
Locator: DIMMA1
Bank Locator: BANK 0
Type: DDR3
Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)
Speed: 1600 MHz
Manufacturer:
Serial Number:
Asset Tag:
Part Number:
Configured Clock Speed: 1600 MHz

Handle 0x002E, DMI type 17, 34 bytes
Memory Device
Total Width: Unknown
Data Width: Unknown
Size: No Module Installed
Locator: DIMMA2
Speed: Unknown
Manufacturer: NO DIMM
Serial Number: Unknown
Asset Tag: Unknown
Part Number: Unknown
Configured Clock Speed: Unknown

Handle 0x002F, DMI type 17, 34 bytes
Memory Device
Total Width: 64 bits
Data Width: 64 bits
Size: 4096 MB
Locator: DIMMB1
Speed: 1600 MHz
Manufacturer:
Serial Number:
Asset Tag:
Part Number:
Configured Clock Speed: 1600 MHz

Handle 0x0031, DMI type 17, 34 bytes
Memory Device
Total Width: Unknown
Data Width: Unknown
Size: No Module Installed
Locator: DIMMB2
Speed: Unknown
Manufacturer: NO DIMM
Serial Number: Unknown
Asset Tag: Unknown
Part Number: Unknown
Configured Clock Speed: Unknown

[

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2015

What motherboard and processor is this?

Anyway, you have this:

System Memory Error Correction Type: Single-bit ECC

So yes, it's ECC memory. Probably your dmidecode is old and / or doesn't know how to handle this motherboard and can't read the eprom of the memory modules, hence the lack of detailed information.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Try finding some tool that will show you SPD contents. E.g.
    http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/92037/how-to-view-rams-spd-timings-table

• So yes, it's ECC memory. Probably your dmidecode is old and / or doesn't know how to handle this motherboard and can't read the eprom of the memory modules, hence the lack of detailed information.

Motherboard is Supermicro A1SAi + Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU C2750 @ 2.40GHz

[root@u18254827 ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep vendor | uniq
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    [root@u18254827 ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'model name' | uniq
    model name : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU C2750 @ 2.40GHz
    [root@u18254827 ~]# dmidecode --type 1

dmidecode 2.12

SMBIOS 2.8 present.

Handle 0x0001, DMI type 1, 27 bytes
    System Information
    Manufacturer: Supermicro
    Product Name: A1SAi
    Version: 123456789
    Serial Number: 123456789
    UUID: Not Settable
    Wake-up Type: Power Switch
    SKU Number: 081315D9
    Family: SMC X10

• atinoco said: A1SAi

Supermicro says that this motherboard supports only ECC memory.

• said: Need some expert advice before I cancel this server

Stay the fuck away from 1&1. Period.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@stackmutt said:

+1

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

@stackmutt said:

This is the best advice to take regarding 1&1.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited March 2015

what idiot would signup with 1&1 in the first place?

and a ripoff.. £40 + vat for that server and you have to stay 24 months or pay a £50 setup

http://www.1and1.co.uk/server-dedicated-tariff?__lf=Static&linkOrigin=server&linkId=ct.stage.server-dedicated-tariff#server

• atinocoatinoco Member
    edited March 2015

@TarZZ92 said:
    what idiot would signup with 1&1 in the first place?

and a ripoff.. £40 + vat for that server and you have to stay 24 months or pay a £50 setup

http://www.1and1.co.uk/server-dedicated-tariff?__lf=Static&linkOrigin=server&linkId=ct.stage.server-dedicated-tariff#server

I think, a **true idiot **would be the person that DOESN'T READ THE TITLE OF THE POST quotes a price plan from the wrong website and assumes that I signed up for a 2 year plan. take your negative comments elsewhere.

I might follow stackmutt, rsk and iKeyZ advice and cancel that 1and1.com server. but for a whole different reason, yes 1and1 support its terrible, (gotta hate dealing with Tier 1 support over the phone), but I had to check them out, prices were just too good, and i thought they offered exactly what i needed....it comes out that their crappy sales person told me the server plesk license offered PostgreSQL support, just noticed it doesn't have it, and it looks like they don't offer that feature as a value added option.... so I'm going to have to up my budget a lil bit and look for another provider.

any suggestions?

looking for a 100$ a month dedicated, at least 4 GB RAM ECC, 2 hard drives Raid 1 (soft raid its ok) with plesk 12 unlimited web host included.

or a 65$ a month server with the same specs without control panel, since plesk web host its 35$ a month.

I'm looking some great deals at soyoustart.com right now (50$-60$ for server without panel) but unfortunately they don't have any servers in Canada available....

I don't want VPS of any kind...i want a dedicated server.

any suggestions?

• atinoco said: I think, a **true idiot **would be the person that DOESN'T READ THE TITLE OF THE POST quotes a price plan from the wrong website and assumes that I signed up for a 2 year plan. take your negative comments elsewhere.

again you are a fool for signing up with them. cancel the server & expect debt collectors.. lol.

and never listen to what sales people tell you, always check out the details first.

by the sounds of it they lied to you too.

• I think I'd be a real fool if I see a good deal and don't check it our for myself, I did my research and I knew what I was getting into... but their sales and support people blew it...I honestly don't think they are liars, they treated me very well, but I think most of them are just clueless about the technical aspects of the server business so they make mistakes or are unable to give proper solutions.

1and1 was a pain, but well worth the try, the server i got was OK, but the support/sales people screwed it up for me with mistakes and incorrect information about the plesk license...well it didn't cost me a cent to check them out...server is already cancelled and my credit card charges reversed. hard to believe it but cancellation department was my best experience with 1and1.

and again mr TarZZ92, keep your adjectives to yourself. you don't who I am and why I do things. Good night

• atinoco said: department was my best experience with 1and1.

make sure you keep us updated...

• @TarZZ92 said:
    make sure you keep us updated...

Just checked my credit card and the money that they charged me was refunded 100%., like I said before.... the person at the cancellations department at 1and1 that took my call was the nicest and most capable of the staff that I had contact with. she did exactly what was expected in the least amount of time...she was pretty nice on the phone as well... support with 1and1 was a pain... the Cancellation.... fast and painless., I was under my 30 day money back Guarantee though.

I'm with OVH now, their staff its pretty good, I'm pretty happy, its a more expensive but i think its worth it.

• atinoco said: I'm with OVH now, their staff its pretty good

Excellent choice!