Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally have had enough with Chicagovps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Finally have had enough with Chicagovps

I'm usually a patient and trusting person. I've been with chicagovps for around 3 years now, and as follows is a small list of some of the issues I've had with them:

1. Today, they null-routed my server due to a DDoS attack. While I understand why they might do this, I don't understand why they didn't give me any notice whatsoever, and didn't even tell me at all until I filed a support ticket asking what was wrong with the network.

2. A bit over a month ago, my domain expired. It had been set on autorenew, so I didn't think there were any issues. Somehow, that automatic payment failed, and without any notification, my domain expired. At this point, I quickly go and manually pay the invoice, its successful, but my domain still isn't up until two tickets and almost two days later.

3. They have lost all the data on my server. Twice.

4. They have lost all the backups for my server.

5. Sometimes, they take 2 minutes to reply to a ticket, other times it takes 2 days.

6. I have 24 total support tickets I've opened since 2012, most of which about downtime and other issues.

7. Just downtime in general. I can't remember the last month where there was there wasn't at least some small period of downtime here and there.

I really should have left a while ago, but migrating data takes quite a bit of effort and I just really haven't wanted to bother. This feels like a much bigger issue overall, I can't be the only one having these problems. Maybe someday in the future I'd be willing to give them another chance, but not until they've substantially changed their ways.

Comments

• @Wolframium said:
    chicagovps

I've gone ahead and highlighted the actual problem above.

• @Jonchun said:
    I've gone ahead and highlighted the actual problem above.

I'm aware of this to an extent. I started with them quite a long time ago (early 2012), and honestly they didn't seem to have many issues at all, but lately its gotten more and more unreliable. I am a bit too patient I think.

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2015

said: A bit over a month ago, my domain expired. It had been set on autorenew, so I didn't think there were any issues. Somehow, that automatic payment failed, and without any notification, my domain expired. At this point, I quickly go and manually pay the invoice, its successful, but my domain still isn't up until two tickets and almost two days later.

You register your domains through a random (and lousy) VPS provider, you really need to reconsider your approach to things.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@rm_ said:
    You register your domains through a random (and lousy) VPS provider, you really need to reconsider your approach to things.

This. Domains should be on that special list of services that you only purchase through providers you REALLY trust, much like email services.

• Today, they null-routed my server due to a DDoS attack. While I understand why they might do this, I don't understand why they didn't give me any notice whatsoever, and didn't even tell me at all until I filed a support ticket asking what was wrong with the network.

Check the AUP/TOS which a lot of customers don't read and there's probably something in there saying they can do this

• Why would you register your domain with a vps/hosting provider ?!

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@MrRapidHost said:
    Why would you register your domain with a vps/hosting provider ?!

Don't you offer domain registration yourself?

Thanked by 2OnraHost Pwner
  • @Nekki said:

Whats your story with trolling, almost every single post i saw for you is TROLLING

Thanked by 2windytime90 Jonchun
  • @MrRapidHost said:

Why not? At Onra we have tons and tons of customers who purchase and manage domains through us.

• @OnraHost said:
    Why not? At Onra we have tons and tons of customers who purchase and manage domains through us.

Personally i prefer keeping em seperate.

• kendidkendid Veteran

Unfortunately, I had to move my stuff from them yesterday. Network was too unstable. Would have a connection for 10 seconds, then not for 30-40secs... This repeated all day... I put in a ticket and they said it was due to an abuser, but this has happened 4 times in the last week... The prices are good, but I can't recommend them unfortunately.

When it worked, it worked well...

• Nekki isn't trolling... he is just bringing up some facts.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • You're certainly not alone...
    I had my VPS suspended multiple times because of DDoS attacks, but wasn't informed as to what's going on until I opened a ticket.

I've migrated over as of about a week ago. :)

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@Wolframium said:
    I'm usually a patient and trusting person. I've been with chicagovps for around 3 years now, and as follows is a small list of some of the issues I've had with them:

1. Today, they null-routed my server due to a DDoS attack. While I understand why they might do this, I don't understand why they didn't give me any notice whatsoever, and didn't even tell me at all until I filed a support ticket asking what was wrong with the network.

2. A bit over a month ago, my domain expired. It had been set on autorenew, so I didn't think there were any issues. Somehow, that automatic payment failed, and without any notification, my domain expired. At this point, I quickly go and manually pay the invoice, its successful, but my domain still isn't up until two tickets and almost two days later.

3. They have lost all the data on my server. Twice.

4. They have lost all the backups for my server.

5. Sometimes, they take 2 minutes to reply to a ticket, other times it takes 2 days.

6. I have 24 total support tickets I've opened since 2012, most of which about downtime and other issues.

7. Just downtime in general. I can't remember the last month where there was there wasn't at least some small period of downtime here and there.

I really should have left a while ago, but migrating data takes quite a bit of effort and I just really haven't wanted to bother. This feels like a much bigger issue overall, I can't be the only one having these problems. Maybe someday in the future I'd be willing to give them another chance, but not until they've substantially changed their ways.

I truly admire your patience... After all that you stuck around for 3 years

• I'm not taking sides, but we've had ColoCrossing null route an IP due to inbound DDoS and didn't notice it resulting in the client opening a ticket to find out what happened. It has only happened once or twice, because we try to stay on-top of everything, but it happens. We get an e-mail and sometimes you're doing so many things that you just miss it. I'm not justifying it, we've implemented a few tricks to insure it doesn't happen again, but it did happen to us and I like to think our support is top-notch.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

MrRapidHost said: Whats your story with trolling, almost every single post i saw for you is TROLLING

Pointing out your hypocrisy, or that you're not really participating on the community is not trolling, old chap.

So, let's get straight to the biscuits, you do offer domain registration, correct?

• Nekki said: So, let's get straight to the biscuits, you do offer domain registration, correct?

What's wrong with that? Can't a provider who provides a service discourage people from using said service?

edited March 2015

OnraHost said: At Onra we have tons and tons of customers who purchase and manage domains through us.

Translation: tons and tons of people are hapless idiots who don't think things through, instead just sheepishly go along with what they're being offered (i.e. WHMCS'es "I want you to register a new domain").

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Rallias said: What's wrong with that? Can't a provider who provides a service discourage people from using said service?

I don't understand why you'd offer something that you think customers shouldn't buy from you.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited March 2015

@Hassan said: I truly admire your patience... After all that you stuck around for 3 years

Chris and ChicagoVPS used to be a pretty good hosting company. Not to mention groundbreaking, like the $7 2GB OpenVZ's or the $12 yearly 256MB's, those pricing records held for well over a year. Downtime and data lost resulting from one or two SolusVM hacks were the only issues I remember from 2-3 years back. Then things went downhill, that is to say Chris hired a couple of clowns to sit in as tech support unsupervised, Chris himself having disappeared for months at a time. ChicagoVPS became a crap shoot with some VM' working flawlessly, others nothing but trouble. I started out with 5 VM's and ended just a few months back with 2 "lucky" yearly 256MB's, both performing flawlessly for 3 whole years. The same can't be said about their assigned IP's, constantly SBL'd of late by SpamHaus as part of CC's /19 or /18 IP block or whatever. Running private MX's on both and no resolution in sight for months, I had no choice but to cancel. We can add the neverending CC - SpamHaus feud to the list of ChicagoVPS/CC deficiencies, but I was actually sorry to let those 2 last pups go. In LET time terms, they served me very well for an aeon! (sob);)

• OnraHostOnraHost Member
    edited March 2015

@rm_ said:
    Translation: tons and tons of people are hapless idiots who don't think things through, instead just sheepishly go along with what they're being offered (i.e. WHMCS'es "I want you to register a new domain").

Explain to me how they're idiots? I want a complete breakdown of your theory.

OnraHost said: how their

Oh I don't think you will understand.

• @MrRapidHost said:

This was the first domain I had registered myself, and it seemed to make sense at the time to do it at the same time and place as the VPS I was going to use it with. All subsequent domains have been registered with a well known registrar, but I just hadn't gotten around to moving this one, and when the issue occurred I was more worried about getting the domain back up than transferring it.

@Steven_F said:
    I'm not taking sides, but we've had ColoCrossing null route an IP due to inbound DDoS and didn't notice it resulting in the client opening a ticket to find out what happened. It has only happened once or twice, because we try to stay on-top of everything, but it happens. We get an e-mail and sometimes you're doing so many things that you just miss it. I'm not justifying it, we've implemented a few tricks to insure it doesn't happen again, but it did happen to us and I like to think our support is top-notch.

As I've said, I don't mind the null-route anywhere near as much as the fact that they didn't tell me. A simple email at the time they null-routed it would really have been much better in that situation, as I wouldn't be scrambling around trying to figure out what on my side could have caused it.

@aglodek said:
    Chris and ChicagoVPS used to be a pretty good hosting company. Not to mention groundbreaking, like the $7 2GB OpenVZ's or the $12 yearly 256MB's, those pricing records held for well over a year. Downtime and data lost resulting from one or two SolusVM hacks were the only issues I remember from 2-3 years back. Then things went downhill, that is to say Chris hired a couple of clowns to sit in as tech support unsupervised, Chris himself having disappeared for months at a time. ChicagoVPS became a crap shoot with some VM' working flawlessly, others nothing but trouble. I started out with 5 VM's and ended just a few months back with 2 "lucky" yearly 256MB's, both performing flawlessly for 3 whole years. The same can't be said about their assigned IP's, constantly being SBL'd as part of CC's /19 or /18 IP block or whatever. Running private MX's on both VM's and no resolution in sight for months, I had no choice but to cancel. We can add the neverending CC - SpamHaus feud to the list of ChicagoVPS/CC deficiencies, but I was actually sorry to let those 2 last pups go. In LET time terms, they served me very well for an eon!

Yep, back when it seemed to be mostly Chris, things were pretty good overall, for the first year there was only one or two small issues which were quickly corrected, and by that time it was just becoming a pain to migrate.

@Hassan said:
    I truly admire your patience... After all that you stuck around for 3 years

In retrospect, not sure how I managed it.

• @OnraHost said:

It's called diversification. Hosting, DNS and domains should all be from different providers. That way of thing go south with either of them they can't hold your stuff hostage.

Same goes for money, you don't want all your eggs in one basket.

• @Wolframium said:

I completely understand. I just wanted to say that it has happened to us in the past.

Thanked by 1Wolframium
  • Hosting is expendable. If your host fails you, you move to another one.
    The domain is more long term (possibly eternal) thing. So you should be very careful where you register your domain. If your domain registrar fails, most of the time you are screwed big time.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Guess it is the season for "these threads" again :)

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited March 2015

@rm_ said:

Well, yes and no. On one hand I was drawn to fully agree with you. On the other hand, in one way or another, we are all hapless idiots. Windows users, to name one example, are hapless idiots. And so are facebook users. And ...

I'm afraid, it's more complex. Actually, in a properly working world, doing what the hapless idiots do, wouldn't be any problem at all. It's only a problem, because there are so many fraudsters out there, many of them very well respected, who plainly lie to their customers and f-ck them hard and deep. The problem isn't the hapless idiots, the problem is the culture and celebration of greed and f-cking everyone for a dollar.

That said, I'm again with you. Because we can know it. It's not a surprise, it's in fact to be expected and "normal". So, yes, probably one must be a hapless idiot to click on WHMCS "hurray, get me a domain, too!".

• @bsdguy said:
    That said, I'm again with you. Because we can know it. It's not a surprise, it's in fact to be expected and "normal". So, yes, probably one must be a hapless idiot to click on WHMCS "hurray, get me a domain, too!".

There's also just a lot of people new to VPS services, and to a lay person, getting their domain with their VPS makes sense, as it makes things easier to manage and keep track of.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @Wolframium said:
    There's also just a lot of people new to VPS services, and to a lay person, getting their domain with their VPS makes sense, as it makes things easier to manage and keep track of.

I get your point and I understand that there are many to think like that. But, look, googleing a little and getting some basic understanding before buying a domain and hosting isn't that far out exotic an option, isn't it.

In fact, this is the very issue the fraudsters build upon, not knowing and not caring to learn a little before buying.

But please, don't get me wrong. My point is certainly not to insult or to attack you personally.