Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth it to upgrade from Dual X5150 to Dual L5420 for $100?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it worth it to upgrade from Dual X5150 to Dual L5420 for $100?

mawrmawr Member

So I'm sure a lot of us here have Delimiter's Dual X5150 service, but I'm just wondering if somebody who is experienced with server performance can tell me if it is worth it for the following circumstances:

The deal is to upgrade from Dual Intel Xeon X5150s to Dual Intel Xeon L5420s, for a 1 off payment of $100. My renewal fee will still be $200/year next year.

-I only run game servers (Steam games)
-Currently paying $200/year for the Dual X5150s plan (which is $16.66/mo, and I have 9 months left. Adding $100 would average to $27.75/month for the next 9 months)
-Trying to have a server that will last me at least until summer 2016

I think the upgrade will be worth but, it here are my concerns:
-Will these types of servers be significantly cheaper next year (as newer and more powerful servers come out at current prices)?
-Is the Dual X5150s already powerful enough for a few game servers?
-Is the performance boost to Dual L5420s really worth $100?

Thanks so much!

Comments

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited March 2015

The L5420 CPU costs ~$20/ea on eBay, I assume there is some sort of remote hands fee to swap the CPUs you are being charged for.

Neither CPUs will be worth much or anything by next year.

https://cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+5150+@+2.66GHz&id=1186&cpuCount=2
    https://cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+L5420+@+2.50GHz&id=1259&cpuCount=2

Overall raw performance would be better, I am not sure what requirements your game servers would need.

• First of all you need to find out if the bottleneck for your adding more gameservers is the CPU. It your bottleneck is RAM, upgrading the CPU will have marginal benefits.

• ReeRee Member

No remote hands fee (well I guess there is, but built into the $100 price if the two processors are only costing $40).

At first I thought it was an upgrade from one server to another (ie bigger HD, more IPs, etc included), but it's just a processor swap so I didn't bother.

• Look at this way if you are paying $200/year thats $16.66. So if you pay $100 upgrade then thats adding $8.33 to the price over the year.

So you are effectively paying $24.99 for a dual L5420, 16GB RAM. So yes, its a lot cheaper that getting an L5420 dedicated server. I dont think there is anyone selling that spec for $25/month.

L5420 is a 4 core unit, so you are going from 2 Dual cores, to 2 Quad cores.

• Patrick said: I assume there is some sort of remote hands fee to swap the CPUs

They wont touch the CPUs, too much work. Just pull disks and move to new server

Thanked by 2webcraft netomx
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Yeah it's worth it. Don't underestimate the L5420. It's still a beast of a CPU for a server. It may be old but a lot of server needs haven't grown that much since then.

• I think they ran out of stock a few hours ago. That upgrade was a crazy deal and given the number of people who have suddenly contacted me buying X5150's then five minutes later ordering this upgrade deal, it shows that $25/month for a Dual L5420 is a great deal.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@mawr said:
    So I'm sure a lot of us here have Delimiter's Dual X5150 service, but I'm just wondering if somebody who is experienced with server performance can tell me if it is worth it for the following circumstances:

The deal is to upgrade from Dual Intel Xeon X5150s to Dual Intel Xeon L5420s, for a 1 off payment of $100. My renewal fee will still be $200/year next year.

-I only run game servers (Steam games)
    -Currently paying $200/year for the Dual X5150s plan (which is $16.66/mo, and I have 9 months left. Adding $100 would average to $27.75/month for the next 9 months)
    -Trying to have a server that will last me at least until summer 2016

I think the upgrade will be worth but, it here are my concerns:
    -Will these types of servers be significantly cheaper next year (as newer and more powerful servers come out at current prices)?
    -Is the Dual X5150s already powerful enough for a few game servers?
    -Is the performance boost to Dual L5420s really worth $100?

Thanks so much!

Definitely.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Don't get me wrong, I think the $20/m Delimiter dedis are the BEST dedis out there

Thanked by 2MarkTurner ATHK
  • The L5420's are awesome for a lot of stuff and they're tanks. There's a reason so many are still kicking around. 8 dedicated cores and 16GB of DDR2 with HW RAID for ~$30/mo is a good deal, and then tack on Delimiter's network which is excellent.

To answer your questions though, I don't think these will get much cheaper in the next year simply due to the power consumption and network. These are hard costs and older hardware isn't as power efficient.

The X5150 may be powerful enough for you. If the game servers are single threaded then you won't see much improvement, you'll just be able to run more, if they can take advantage of multiple cores you'll see an improvement.

It's worth the $100 one-time if you plan on keeping the box for awhile. Based on my current uses, I can probably get 2-3+ more years out of my L5420 boxes - running some good sized sites, fairly low-impact remote desktops for my employees, squeezing in some shared hosting type stuff for friends and family, etc.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • sinsin Member

@netomx said:
    Don't get me wrong, I think the $20/m Delimiter dedis are the BEST dedis out there

How's Delimiter's Support? I have a $25/month Datashack server and their support responds in 10 minutes or less (usually around 2-3 min), I don't usually need to contact support but I rest easy at night knowing Datashack has great/fast support that will be there in the event that something happens...so I'm just curious if Delimiter's support is pretty decent? I've been thinking about picking up one of their $20/month servers in the future.

• @sin said: How's Delimiter's Support?

Had no occasion to check Delimiter's ticket response time. However, @MarkTurner's here on LET, very helpful and quick to respond. Plus very competent, plus works for Delimiter's parent company and seems to have a lot of clout, too ;)

Thanked by 2MarkTurner netomx
  • can i have a test ip?

• To be honest, doesn't worth it, Its a really old hardware, and soon to be going for much less cheaper.

• HWAYSHWAYS Member

@sin: i asked for some ipv6 and they answered after 5 or 6 hours If i remeber. In a month i had no issues with thr server though. So i had no occasion to emergency need them.

Next time I will get a dedi in Europe as most of the clients are in the old world, including myself.

• HWAYS said: i asked for some ipv6 and they answered after 5 or 6 hours If i remeber.

That is probably because they were waiting for the IPv6 range for your server and waiting for it be implemented. Delimiter's support staff have no access to our network infrastructure. They can only control their own elements.

• @MrRapidHost said:
    To be honest, doesn't worth it, Its a really old hardware, and soon to be going for much less cheaper.

Even so both are "old" hardware and the L5420 is a beast still.

• @MrRapidHost said: To be honest, doesn't worth it, Its a really old hardware, and soon to be going for much less cheaper.

Be that as it may, Delimiter's is still one of the best, if not the best, LEB offer around in this class ;) With Yomura behind them, I'm a little surprised (and disappointed ;) they haven't expanded it to other locations.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@MrRapidHost said:
    To be honest, doesn't worth it, Its a really old hardware, and soon to be going for much less cheaper.

So?

• I dont think it really is worth it - its old and not really needed - Just wait a bit more time then upgrade :)

• For those saying don't bother with the L5420, what would you recommend in terms of a dedi for $25-30/mo?..

• HWAYS said: i asked for some ipv6 and they answered after 5 or 6 hours If i remeber

My request for a /64 took 17 days.

• timnboystimnboys Member
    edited March 2015

I actually would bother with the L5420 and I planned to get my x5150 upgraded as soon as I get my paycheck. as that is a good deal of just $100 one time. I am sure @MarkTurner would agree with me.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • jemaltz said: My request for a /64 took 17 days.

That was definitely someone dropping the ball on Delimiter's side. We turn around /64 requests in 3-4 hours during business hours and 4-8 outside of that.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I was lucky enough to upgrade from a X5150 to an E1230 due to a lack of the L5420's. Very thankful for that extra boost of power!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I'd snap one of those up in a heartbeat, if I would be getting an 1230... @MarkTurner ?

• MarkTurner said: That was definitely someone dropping the ball on Delimiter's side.

I would agree. That included a ticket update (on my part) two weeks in to request a status update.

• Have you guys got your upgrades? I haven't heard anything yet, but it's only 2 business days in and they said 2-3 days.

• @mikeyur said:
    Have you guys got your upgrades? I haven't heard anything yet, but it's only 2 business days in and they said 2-3 days.

Nope, paid a couple of days ago.

That said...

@daxterfellowes said:
    I was lucky enough to upgrade from a X5150 to an E1230 due to a lack of the L5420's. Very thankful for that extra boost of power!

Would be interested in the E1230 instead too (before other gets provisioned) - can you contact me in regards to changing to this offer please @MarkTurner ?

Thank you.

• @Splickster - Not going to happen, that was a one time deal.

Thanked by 1netomx