Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need cheapest US Linux VPS with GUI
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need cheapest US Linux VPS with GUI

Special1Special1 Member
edited March 2015 in Help

Hello!

Could someone tell me where I could get cheapest US Linux server with GUI. I intend to use it for browsing - Chrome or Firefox.

I found ovh has Linux, but which version should I install, so I get GUI? Last time I ordered Linux VPS from other company I had to spend 1-2 hour on Youtube looking tutorials on how to work with Linux cmd or Putty. I want something easy as Windows where I just connect with RDP, enter my credentials and I am good to go.

Could someone point in me right direction?

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

So, you are basically looking for a VPS with the GUI and vncserver already installed?
    That limits your choices really, I would recommend buying a 'normal' VPS, good step by step tutorial (written may be easier than spoken perhaps?) and you are all set!

(or you can buy a Windows VPS with RDP)

• What you're asking for is not a typical usage of a VPS. I have not see any typical VPS provider selling a ready to go Linux remote desktop solution.

• Why not just buy a cheap windows box at winity.io

• Try FreeNX this should be enough for your needs

• I had Windows, but for my specific needs I need Linux. So you are basically telling me that we are living in 21st Century and we still need to work with sudo codes and primitive black/white cmd dash, if we want something simple as desktop version of Linux VPS? How on Earth there are no single programmer who invented to make connecting and working with Linux as easy as Windows RDP? Don't get it... I guess another 2 hours of my life are going to waste. Nice!

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

http://lowendspirit.com/locations.html plenty of people run light weight desktops on the dallas package.

€3.00 p/year is pretty good :)

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • @Special1 said:
    I had Windows, but for my specific needs I need Linux. So you are basically telling me that we are living in 21st Century and we still need to work with sudo codes and primitive black/white cmd dash, if we want something simple as desktop version of Linux VPS? How on Earth there are no single programmer who invented to make connecting and working with Linux as easy as Windows RDP? Don't get it... I guess another 2 hours of my life are going to waste. Nice!

It's not the experts fault that you're a noob with a severe anxiety of the terminal. It won't bite your wiener ya know (well probably, you can never be too sure what's in those nasty primitive caves, can you?).

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited March 2015

@AnthonySmith said:
    http://lowendspirit.com/locations.html plenty of people run light weight desktops on the dallas package.

€3.00 p/year is pretty good :)

This.

Install XFCE and XRDP, you get a fully functioning GUI and can connect via RDP like a Windows machine

RAM usage is low too, but I would recommend at least 512MB if you want something Gnome or KDE instead of XFCE, and want to browse the internet and use Flash, etc.