Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who needs a vps in India and for what ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who needs a vps in India and for what ?

BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider
edited March 2015 in General

Hello guys,

If we were to provide VMs from India what kind of bandwidth are you looking forward to ?
What kind of virtualization ( openVZ , KVM , XEN ) ?

What would use it for ?

What kind of pricing do you deem fit for

1 core

128mb ram

5GB disk space

10GB bandwidth

1 IPv4

No support for IPv6

If above specs are not genuine what specs would you like in an Indian VM

Update: Title updated let the comments commence.

For what will you use it if it was xen / kvm
  1. DNS Servers16 votes
    1. VPS Hobby
      62.50%
    2. Web servers
      25.00%
    3. PHP apps
      12.50%

Comments

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

My intent here is not to be mean, but I don't think many are going to purchase from you again after what happened with your previous company.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@matthewvz said:
    My intent here is not to be mean, but I don't think many are going to purchase from you again after what happened with your previous company.

Nothing bad happend really they got their money back its not like I ran away.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • MeanServersMeanServers Member, Host Rep

How long before you shut this venture down?

Thanked by 2ATHK ehab

@MeanServers said:
    How long before you shut this venture down?

To be precise I haven't even started it :) , I'm just doing my research.

Well after the last venture, I figure you may have an end date already set. Not to be mean (no pun intended) but it seems every week it's something new with you.

and don't get me wrong, more power to you if you are serious about this venture, but only if you are serious. I don't think your spray and pray technique is working too well at the moment. You are all over the place; focus on one thing, improve it, make your customers happy, then expand. Don't try to do so much at once as you'll crash and burn. There's my two cents.

edited March 2015

@MeanServers said:
    Well after the last venture, I figure you may have an end date already set. Not to be mean (no pun intended) but it seems every week it's something new with you.

Everybody makes mistakes I'm sure im a human being so I do make mistakes but I NEVER RUN AWAY . I've got enough patience to deal with flaming so yes I stick to what I want to do.

These are my thread dates http://prntscr.com/6exlja I think those aren't weekly.

I just don't understand something why is that you people hate me so much when I'm the one trying the hardest ? Even a few of my employers in LET whose names I'd not reveal say that I'm pushing too hard which in the end gets me into troubles and stuff I really dont get it. I always try to find a way to earn money in a LEGAL way with good intentions in mind , but still..... I don't know whats up with you guys.

Now in a few mins some mod is gonna come around and say this will be another drama so am closing the thread and boom....

edited March 2015

@BharatB said:

That's your problem, you are all over the place. Focus on ONE thing at a time. Perfect it first, then move to the next venture. You have jumped around doing so many different things in such a short amount of time, I am not even sure what you are working on, what you are selling or who you represent. Every week it's something new!

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I think people would respect you more and flame you less if you would just focus on one thing at a time.

@MeanServers said:
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I think people would respect you more and flame you less if you would just focus on one thing at a time.

Thank you for suggestion around this time I'm just doing various market researches before I decide to stick to something I asked about what people want in cloud I got a good feedback and then I compared the pricing and probabilty of providing it to LETians but wasn't possible.

Then spent a week looking at almost all locations the providers have and I thought why not in my own country where I can handle the hardware and colo and fix things faster if anything goes wrong. Since usa and others places are already saturated.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

BharatB said: Nothing bad happend really they got their money back its not like I ran away.

But you did shut it down. Why should I consider you when there many other long-established companies that have a much longer track record of stable service without shutting down their companies?

Why would I sign up with a one-man shop with your track record?

BharatB said: I just don't understand something why is that you people hate me so much when I'm the one trying the hardest ?

"Hate" is too strong. Tired of you spamming in every thread trolling for business...yes.

said: 1 core

128mb ram
    5GB disk space
    10GB bandwidth
    1 IPv4
    No support for IPv6

I would not be remotely interested in that for the following reasons:

• I can get 128MB/ 80GB disk / 500GB bandwidth for $15/year from an excellent provider (and similar from several) who offers ipv6. So you lose on specs.

• Those providers have excellent reputations, excellent reviews, and an established track record. You do not.

• I can get much better specs in many locations.

• With ipv6, SSD, etc.

So given your reputation and those weak specs, what would I pay? Much, much less than $15/year. I don't personally have a need for a VPS that isn't from a rock solid provider, but if I did...well, you're providing 1/16th the disk and 1/50th the bandwidth so maybe $1/year. And I'm not joking.

Thanked by 3namhuy Mark_R alexvolk
  • xaitmixaitmi Member
    edited March 2015

India is a unique location, which is good, but I don't think you'd get a lot of people interested in it.

On top of that, bandwidth is pretty expensive down there, and 10GB bandwidth wont cut it for most people. At least give 50-100GB b/w.

@raindog308 said:

You are missing the location mate.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

BharatB said: You are missing the location mate.

So I did.

OK, $2/year. Maybe.

@raindog308 said:

Thats a +ve feedback I'll keep it in mind.

• Coming back to the OP question ...

said: If we were to provide VMs from India what kind of bandwidth are you looking forward to ?

For me bandwidth wouldn't be the priority (100 - 300 Mb/s would be OK). What I would look for is routing, multi-homed (and I don't mean a dirt cheap lousy pipe with some alibi bandwidth from a good carrier) and obviously latency.

What kind of virtualization ( openVZ , KVM , XEN ) ?

I wouldn't even consider OVZ. So, only KVM or XEN

What would use it for ?

geo distribution. India could be a sweetspot is, however, a dark dump so far.

What kind of pricing do you deem fit for

1 core
    128mb ram
    5GB disk space
    10GB bandwidth
    1 IPv4
    No support for IPv6

None. I wouldn't touch anything less than 256MB, 5GB (net), 250GB. I also wouldn't touch anything that doesn't offer plans between 256MB and 1GB at a minimum.
    No IPv6 isn't dramatic but might turn ugly later.

But then I'm a "spoiled" European. Maybe things are very different in India and your product would take off well.

@bsdguy said:
    Coming back to the OP question ...

But then I'm a "spoiled" European. Maybe things are very different in India and your product would take off well.

Thank you thats the kind of replies I was hoping. I hope more concerned and open minded people will come forward :)

• ATHKATHK Member

What DC will this be in?

@ATHK said:
    What DC will this be in?

Well haven't decided but since its for LET maybe CTRLs in North India / Any Delhi DC I want to take tours then talk to the techs and depending on colo pricing I'll update.

• adxnadxn Member, Host Rep

Check out Netmagicsolutions Data Center at Delhi they are pretty solid !

• ATHKATHK Member

@BharatB said:

As long as it's not your basement ...

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited March 2015

@BharatB: don't have enough info, so can't speak to that one strike against you specifically. Starting a new business, one or even two strikes is pretty much par for the course. If at first you don't succeed... and all that jazz ;)

With respect to your OP, @bsdguy voiced my thoughts exactly. A couple of things I'd add to that:

• India or not, for 128MB, you should go with at least 50GB transfer; for 256MB - 100GB transfer;
    • if at all possible, choose a location not offered here yet (e.g. Chennai, Bangalore maybe?), optimally a carrier neutral DC, offering, or at least planning on offering ipv6
    • get hold of PI ipv4's and set up your own ASN (bragging factor aside, this will help keep IP costs down)
    • assuming you want to leverage LEB/LET to promote and sell your service, given the sentiment here, get things organized so you can offer and impress the guys here with top notch tech support - in all time zones
  • Let me comment on that location issue.

India has 2 landings, one around Bombay IIRC and the other one in the south east. And that's where my preference would be. The further inland the DC the more one might be in the hands of less competent local players.

Just saying.

@agoldek & @bsdguy thanks for the contribution :)

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited March 2015

@bsdguy said: India has 2 landings, one around Bombay IIRC and the other one in the south east.

South-east one is Chennai, I believe, hence my suggestion.

The further inland the DC the more one might be in the hands of less competent local players.

And less than optimum connectivity. India's not exactly infrastructure rich. This said, Bangalore is one exception to this rule, I think. Lots of call centers and capacity which may, or may not translate to competitive pricing (depending on current supply and demand situation there). Worth a look, I think.

• DevilDevil Member
    edited March 2015

adxn said: Netmagicsolutions Data Center

I think Flipkart and Myntra used them (before the merger). Not sure they still use the same DC.

aglodek said: Bangalore

I would be interested in a backup box if it's in Bangalore but then again people go for reputed backup providers.

@BharatB You work(ed) for @drserver, right? Saw in some thread somewhere. Anyway, I won't have any use of such low disk space or b/w boxes but that's just me. Anyway as people have said show some stability and polish. Take the +ve feedbacks and don't worry about flamers. (Trying to find really cheap servers with good disk space I was called "begging for free VPS" by a jerk but then there were people who actually helped). Good luck!

• @BharatB are you sz1 !? stop trolling please :( i got bored seeing threads like this

@namhuy said:
    BharatB are you sz1 !? stop trolling please :( i got bored seeing threads like this

Dont see then its that simple :)

• ATHKATHK Member

@namhuy said:
    BharatB are you sz1 !? stop trolling please :( i got bored seeing threads like this

Queue DDOS in 5 .. 4 ..

BharatB really needs to work on his random troll offers that don't meet the OPs requirements.. it was said above but I'll say it again it's annoying..

Anyways any more feedbacks pending ? I'd like to close the thread soon if no one else has opinions .

• NekkiNekki Veteran

What would this forum be without our CurtisG/SZ1/BharatB?