Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's your favourite provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who's your favourite provider?

MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
edited March 2015 in Requests

Hello LET folks!

I began this thread to ask you who are your favourite providers, ever.
Please state the reason why it's your favourite provider, pros, cons and how many VPS you have with them.

I'll introduce mine shortly.

Comments

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited March 2015

My favourite provider is Dediserve. Not only for the price, but because the instances are Xen based, support Snaphot, Firewall and KVM console. They provide IPv6 in their European locations.
    Their support is top notch, always online in Livechat, their ticket response time are a mere minutes.

Their sales team is great as well, always willing to meet my needs and they're not afraid to spread their last LET promos to anyone only to save some bucks. I know they colocate their hardware and their country list is getting quite big. I run my production servers in Dediserve and I currently own 3 VM's there.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • Nice self advertising :) Ask for self and reply to own question :D

edited March 2015

Self advertising? I don't work for Dediserve. Actually, I've been here longer than you, and in IRC. Those who know me can confirm it.

I really don't get it why there's people that act like you, always trying to flame instead of participating, which is the core of this thread.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

MrGeneral said: I really don't get it why there's people that act like you, always trying to flame instead of participating, which is the core of this thread.

Pretty sure he was only joking. See that :D ?

@Nekki said:

Considering similar actions from a lot of people in LET these days, I don't think it was a joke :P

• PwnerPwner Member

@Nekki said:

This is the Internet, we can't exactly convey emotions through a string of text. Proper syntax must be used for such moments, like: </ joke> and </ sarcasm>

Thanked by 1MikePT

@Pwner said:
    This is the Internet, we can't exactly convey emotions through a string of text. Proper syntax must be used for such moments, like: </ joke> and </ sarcasm>

Agreed!
    Now let's go back to the topic and start participating. I'd love to know your opinion! :)

• Toss up between OVH and Voxility :P

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • I would have sworn there is a yearly thread about this.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Pwner said: This is the Internet, we can't exactly convey emotions through a string of text.

THE FUCK WE CAN'T, PUNK! I'LL SHOW YOU SOME DAMN EMOTION! I'LL KNOCK THAT PHONE OUTTA YOUR HAND WITH MY EMOTION!

See? It's not hard. Now come over here and sit on my lap, you sexy thing.

See? I did it again.

Thanked by 3Nekki Pwner NeoXiD
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

said: I began this thread to ask you who are your favourite providers, ever.

Mine are on the page in my sig.

For LEBs: BuyVM, SecureDragon, Ramnode

For non-LEBs: Linode, 6sync

For managed non-LEBs: WiredTree, Knownhost

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited March 2015

MrGeneral said: Agreed! Now let's go back to the topic and start participating. I'd love to know your opinion! :)

They're all much of a muchness tbh. There's shit providers, and there's the ones that aren't shit. The irony is that with a really good provider, you probably don't even notice them as everything keeps running and you never need to raise a ticket.

Ramnode falls into the latter category for me, nothing's ever down and I never need to talk to them.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • a2razora2razor Member
    edited March 2015

Personally I'm fond of NFOServers (not one featured on LET), Corgitech, DrServer, and Media-Hosts. These are all A+ providers that take things very seriously and will work with you to solve any issues that you encounter.

NFOServers:

I own two VPS's with them currently and have used their services since 2011.

They use almost entirely Internap bandwidth in all their locations, provide basic DDoS protection, exclusively Xen based offers, they support Windows (at no extra cost), provide dedicated CPU-cores (100% CPU load permitted for any period), have very high bandwidth quotas, pretty good uptime, and their tech support is extremely fast (under 30 minutes usually for their higher tier plans)..

-Additionally their CEO directly has helped me with the more complicated requests that their technicians weren't capable of resolving.

Corgitech:

Have one VPS with them on their Dallas Ultimate plan, which was an LET offer. I run my email out of here among other things.

I've intermittently used their services over the past several years on and off with cheaper VPS's, and never had problems with them, EVER. Near 100% host and connectivity uptime, an overall very strong service quality level ... to the point I'd call them rock-solid-stable.

-Corgitech doesn't provide DDoS protection, but they're one of the only VMWare powered VPS providers. Their support times for me have usually been within a few hours when it matters with critical issues, and Junaid goes above and beyond to get your problems resolved (on a per ticket basis, consistently). CPU usage is pretty much unrestricted and you can fully saturate CPU cores 'if need be'.

Media-Hosts:

They're a Canadian provider operating in Montreal, and their routes are absolutely superb if you need a VPS in this location. I currently own one VPS with them, which was an LET offer. In two months I will be coming up on a year of service.

My VPS's have no recorded outages.

-I outgrew the needs of my VPS, and had the necessity to use some features that OpenVZ could not provide. Media-Hosts not only transitioned me to a KVM VPS plan, they additionally matched the price that I was paying into the new package / plan, AND kept the investment that I'd already put into the OpenVZ plan TOWARDS the new plan.

I've never seen a provider do this in terms of plan flexibility, and can definitely recommend them. They will work with you when your needs change!

DrServer:

I have one half-terabyte storage-space VPS that I bought with them (from an LET offer), starting in their Chicago location.

The host failed and went down before I even got through configuring OwnCloud (within the first few hours of my using their services, coincidentally). However, they redeemed theirselves by immediately moving me to their new Dallas location, got my storage-VPS back online within a day, and gave me double the memory in compensation. [no added cost]

-They've proven to be competent at dealing with disaster recovery and compensating a customer. Their support is also very quick overall. I can absolutely recommend them.

@raindog308 said:

Interesting! Linode is also one of my favourite providers, although it's non-LEB but their services rock!

@Nekki said:
    Ramnode falls into the latter category for me, nothing's ever down and I never need to talk to them.

Got it Nekki. I also have services with Ramnode and they are really stable :), Nick is a cool guy as well!

@a2razor said:
    Personally I'm fond of NFOServers (not one featured on LET), Corgitech, DrServer, and Media-Hosts. These are all A+ providers that take things very seriously and will work with you to solve any issues that you encounter.

NFOServers:

I own two VPS's with them currently and have used their services since 2011.

They use almost entirely Internap bandwidth in all their locations, provide basic DDoS protection, exclusively Xen based offers, they support Windows (at no extra cost), provide dedicated CPU-cores (100% CPU load permitted for any period), have very high bandwidth quotas, pretty good uptime, and their tech support is extremely fast (under 30 minutes usually for their higher tier plans)..

-Additionally their CEO directly has helped me with the more complicated requests that that technicians weren't capable of resolving.

Corgitech:

Have one VPS with them on their Dallas Ultimate plan, which was an LET offer. I run my email out of here among other things.

I've intermittently used their services over past several years on and off with cheaper VPS's, and never had problems with them, EVER. Near 100% host and connectivity uptime, an overall very strong service quality level ... to the point I'd call them rock-solid-stable.

-Corgitech doesn't provide DDoS protection, but they're one of the only VMWare powered VPS providers. Their support times for me have usually been within a few hours when it matters with critical issues, and Junaid goes above and beyond to get your problems resolved (on a per ticket basis, consistently). CPU usage is pretty much unrestricted and you can fully saturate CPU cores 'if need be'.

Media-Hosts:

They're a Canadian provider operating in Montreal, and their routes are absolutely superb if you need a VPS in this location. I currently own one VPS with them, which was an LET offer. In two months I will be coming up on a year of service.

My VPS's have no recorded outages.

-I outgrew the needs of my VPS, and had the necessity to use some features that OpenVZ could not provide. Media-Hosts not only transitioned me to a KVM VPS plan, they additionally matched the price that I was paying into the new package / plan, AND kept the investment that I'd already put into the OpenVZ plan TOWARDS the new plan.

I've never seen a provider do this in terms of plan flexibility, and can definitely recommend them. They will work with you when your needs change!

DrServer:

I have one half-terabyte storage-space VPS that I bought with them (from an LET offer), starting in their Chicago location.

The host failed and went down before I even got through configuring OwnCloud (within the first few hours of my using their services, coincidentally). However, they redeemed theirselves by immediately moving me to their new Dallas location, got my storage-VPS back online within a day, and gave me double the memory in compensation. [no added cost]

-They've proven to be competent at dealing with disaster recovery and compensating a customer. Their support is also very quick overall. I can absolutely recommend them.

Just read your reply, and that was exactly the purpose of this thread, thank you!

I also use DrServer and their service is great. I own three instances there, and never had issues, other than the issue you experienced, which they double the ram and it helps to run ownCloud. A client of mine has a 1TB storage in DrServer and they couldn't be happier!

As for the VMWare host you mentioned, Corgitech, that's interesting, I was actually looking for a host to test VMWare further, so that is an option I'll be looking at.

NFOServers seem to be a great provider, flexible, reliable and ready for production mode. I'll be looking at their offers as well!

Thank you for participating in this thread! :-)

Thanked by 1drserver
  • Favorite VPS Provider : Myself (no kidding)
    Why myself? : Because by managing my own nodes I can be 100% confident that everything from hardware to software is being maintained well & taken care of like it should. I am confident of my skills & abilities hence I have been running my own nodes for years.

Do I have anything against VPS providers? : Absolutely not. It is just that I feel more confident & secure when I host my virtual servers myself.

What do I run on my virtual servers? : Most game servers & gaming related websites. A few personal websites as well.

VPS providers I would choose or recommend if I have to: OVH (VMware), BuyVM (KVM), Prometeus (KVM & XEN),Inception Hosting (XEN), RamNode (KVM), Winity(Hyper-V) & MyCustomHosting ( KVM)

Cloud providers I would recommend: OVH, Rackspace, Softlayer.

If you are a hosting provider (I am not & have never been until now but have worked for a few good ones. Also, quite a few hosting companies often seek advice from me mainly with things related to virtualization & marketing/advertisement ) & try to spam your signature in every random thread & your website is full of claims like "100% uptime", "X years of excellence & experience", "24/7 support" & "State of the art hardware & equipment" then ask yourself honestly if you yourself are your favorite VPS provider. If the answer is yes then you are doing a fine job but if the answer is no then you have no right to offer hosting services to others when you are not even confident & wouldn't prefer to go for your offerings yourself. Close or sell off your hosting company to some decent host & never look back because this industry is not for you! And this would be your greatest favor to hosting industry & yourself as well :)

Thanked by 1MikePT

@fametel said:
    Favorite VPS Provider : Myself (no kidding)
    Why myself? : Because by managing my own nodes I can be 100% confident that everything from hardware to software is being maintained well & taken care of like it should. I am confident of my skills & abilities hence I have been running my own nodes for years.

Do I have anything against VPS providers? : Absolutely not. It is just that I feel more confident & secure when I host my virtual servers myself.

What do I run on my virtual servers? : Most game servers & gaming related websites. A few personal websites as well.

VPS providers I would choose or recommend if I have to: OVH (VMware), BuyVM (KVM), Prometeus (KVM & XEN),Inception Hosting (XEN), RamNode (KVM), Winity(Hyper-V) & MyCustomHosting ( KVM)

Cloud providers I would recommend: OVH, Rackspace, Softlayer.

If you are a hosting provider (I am not & have never been until now but have worked for a few good ones. Also, quite a few hosting companies often seek advice from me mainly with things related to virtualization & marketing/advertisement ) & try to spam your signature in every random thread & your website is full of claims like "100% uptime", "X years of excellence & experience", "24/7 support" & "State of the art hardware & equipment" then ask yourself honestly if you yourself are your favorite VPS provider. If the answer is yes then you are doing a fine job but if the answer is no then you have no right to offer hosting services to others when you are not even confident & wouldn't prefer to go for your offerings yourself. Close or sell off your hosting company to some decent host & never look back because this industry is not for you! And this would be your greatest favor to hosting industry & yourself as well :)

Pretty good points, I can see why you rather host your servers in your own nodes, thank you for participating!

• For me it's @dediserve for their pricing uptime and locations (upcoming though) ,prometeus and ramnode. Singapore is closest to India, which is my main target and out of 3 only dediserve offers it, so an extra vote for them

Thanked by 2MikePT dediserve
  • xrzxrz Member

ÓóóVééHáá (OVH) :D

Thanked by 1MikePT

@arpanjot said:
    For me it's dediserve for their pricing uptime and locations (upcoming though) ,prometeus and ramnode. Singapore is closest to India, which is my main target and out of 3 only dediserve offers it, so an extra vote for them

Same here, dediserver rocks! :)

They're launching new locations soon, according to what I spoke to them in their Livechat! :)

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • Linode, iwstack, dediserve, drserver, wable, vultr, DO all providing good service for me :)

• PwnerPwner Member

Definitely standing by DrServer, they provide a rock-solid service with great support at a budget price. The dedication put into this company to personalize each customer and keep them up to date on issues (that are resolved shortly) as well as the great specs/perks you get for the price really makes DrServer stand out from the rest.

• My own of course. And yes I am bias ;)

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • IshaqIshaq Member

Too many good ones, I don't have a favourite.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@Ishaq said:
    Too many good ones, I don't have a favourite.

Everyone has a favourite :P

• HWAYSHWAYS Member

mycustomhosting - I use them for 5 months already and had no single issue with them.
    delimiter - for dedicated
    FAPVPS in the past - reliable as well.

• Tough question (not MrGenerals problem but mine due to my standards)

vStoike.

Few know them and many seem to not like or trust them (they are Russians, eeek). Well, I do like them. Being Russian to me is an advantage (skillfull, highly educated, good set of values, friendly). It's dirt cheap (easily within LEB limits), it's fast for the price, has very nice connectivity, support is polite, helpful and very friendly. The VPS just works and hums along nicely.

Prometeus.

Excellent connectivity, reliable solid servers (yeah, I know, the recent downtime, but hey, shit happens), good performance (I'm more interested in consistency there than in top benchmark speed), "just working". I also like their mixture of creativity and engineering solidity. So, overall, a top provider. In fact, they are so good, that I consider them very good although they have Maounique at the ticket desk (which isn't but a nuisance because I virtually never need support).

XXX - yet unnamed provider I'm having a closer look at since a while. Looks very promising. I'll name it later.

ServerDragon? (the company of KuJoe)

I mention this as a somewhat strange case insofar as I never had a VPS with them (they seem to only do OVZ and only usa). But it's noteworthy anyway because, yes, one of my reasons to be here at LET is to get to know the persons involved somewhat better. And KuJoe, while not always of the same view as myself, has consistently shown himself as competent, experienced, and friendly. If I ever needed a product within their range they'd be among the first I'd ask for an offer.

As a side remark, these servers are just a hobby. Professionally I use dedicated servers and some VPSs in a higher price range (don't ask me, I won't tell) but through this hobby I learned that many "higher up" (priced) companies offer no better or even worse than some (few) "pearls" here.

Side remark 2: I try to avoid usa companies whereever possible. But if I did buy usa products Ramnode would probably be in the set and I would also have a close look at UltraVps from what I've seen/heard from collegaues and friends.

Thanked by 2vimalware MikePT
  • agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

For Dedicated Servers I would have to say @qps takes it for me. For VPS it would have to be BoltVM and @Steven_F

Thanked by 3MikePT Steven_F qps
  • www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCDAfa-NI-M