Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You have an idling server and a bit of spare time ? I need ☞ you ☜
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

You have an idling server and a bit of spare time ? I need ☞ you ☜

EdouardEdouard Member

Hello,

I am working on a project that could benefit to a lot of us.

I do not want to disclose too much before making sure that it works and that I am ready to open the beta to everyone.

I need a few people with a couple hours of spare time and an idling Linux server with a dedicated IP. It involves installing nodejs and playing a bit with an interface to test if everything works correctly.

Shout me a PM or write on this thread if you are interested in testing a new cool thing.

For the others, don't worry, the presentation post will come soon, once we have validated that the software works as expected.

Ed

Comments

• ChuckChuck Member

Is IPv6 ok?

• SadySady Member

I would might be interested in that.

• drop me a PM

• @Chuck said:
    Is IPv6 ok?

Unfortunately not yet.

@Sady and @gonggo, sending you PM shortly.

• please pm.

• @click4easy said:
    please pm.

Sent.

• cassacassa Member

Let me know if you still need one ;-)

Thanked by 1Edouard
  • PM please.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I suggest you are a bit more open on what your "software" will do once installed when you reply to those PMs.
    I for one have a big problem when people ask me "Hey, can I install this untested software on your server that you are responsible for?".

Good luck and you who answers, be safe. :)

• @mikho said:
    I suggest you are a bit more open on what your "software" will do once installed when you reply to those PMs.
    I for one have a big problem when people ask me "Hey, can I install this untested software on your server that you are responsible for?".

Docker ;)

@deadbeef said:
    Docker ;)

If that is the case, why not give proper information tonstart with?

• @mikho said:
    If that is the case, why not give proper information tonstart with?

I meant that someone who wishes to help the OP, can do it safely using Docker.

• @mikho said:

No worries, I explain what it is about and provide source link in the MP.

I will make a proper post tomorrow explaining what the project is about and the link to the source.

@Edouard said:
    I will make a proper post tomorrow explaining what the project is about and the link to the source.

Could have saved all of us time by doing so in the first place.

Thanked by 2Mark_R Gunter
  • MunMun Member

Something smells fishy!

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @mikho said:
    Could have saved all of us time by doing so in the first place.

I wanted to test with a few users before opening the beta wide open. That's why.

• PM please. :)

Thanked by 1Edouard
  • @itgods said:
    PM please. :)

Sent !

• Sure, why not. PM please.

• @0xdragon said:
    Sure, why not. PM please.

Sent.

• Got some of them sitting iddling, PM me what you have in mind, please.

• same as @godong got.. a fairly unlimited supply of servers idling.. PM me what you have in mind

• Pm me please

• @deadbeef said: I meant that someone who wishes to help the OP, can do it safely using Docker.

Wut? How come?

• Send me a PM, have about 5~10 idle Linux VPS.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited March 2015

@aglodek said:
    Wut? How come?

$ docker run --rm -it -v /some/dir:/usr/src/app -w /usr/src/app mystack/iojs index.js

https://github.com/iojs/docker-iojs

• @deadbeef said:

Sorry for not being clear. My question was with reference to your: "…can do it safely using Docker" in response to @mikho's concerns.

• @aglodek said:
    Sorry for not being clear. My question was with reference to your: "…can do it safely using Docker" in response to mikho's concerns.

Docker is a kind of super-lightweight VM - even if the OP's script is malicious, it will not hurt your host system.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • aglodekaglodek Member
    edited March 2015

@deadbeef said: Docker is a kind of super-lightweight VM - even if the OP's script is malicious, it will not hurt your host system.

Interesting, I was not aware of this feature. However, I read @mikho's concerns to be more along the lines of responsibility for what the server might be used for (e.g. DDoS-ing, port scanning, spamming, etc.), potentially resulting in server owner's liability. I don't think Docker can help here any ;)

Thanked by 3deadbeef mikho geekalot
  • deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited March 2015

@aglodek said:
    I don't think Docker can help here any ;)

True. But I think that would be very direct and obvious, especially to this crowd :) A smarter malicious use would be to try to plant a backdoor for (much) later access. That is something that Docker use mitigates.

Thanked by 2aglodek geekalot
This discussion has been closed.