Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for VPS with FreeBSD Operating System
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for VPS with FreeBSD Operating System

xaitmixaitmi Member
edited March 2015 in Requests

Hi.

I need something low-end, just to learn more about the OS as it's used at a place I will be working at soon.

Not going to run anything on it.

I have checked the SolusVM's of a few hosts I'm with (Iniz, Ramnode, Crissic) and none of them seem to have FreeBSD as an option

Comments

• tommytommy Member

which Unix?

• @tommy said:
    which Unix?

FreeBSD sorry. Not sure why I typed Unix.

• tommytommy Member

check these offer http://lowendbox.com/tag/freebsd/

digitalocean, vultr, prgmr also offer freebsd

Thanked by 1xaitmi
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2015

Most KVM hosts support FreeBSD. For example, RamNode includes FreeBSD ISO for KVM -- https://clientarea.ramnode.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=48

Note that it is impossible to run FreeBSD in OpenVZ due to different kernel, you'll only see it available with your provider if you have a KVM or Xen plan.

Thanked by 1xaitmi
  • RizRiz Member
    edited March 2015

I believe there are DO coupons floating around too to make your experience free.

Thanked by 1xaitmi
  • aglodekaglodek Member
    edited March 2015

@xaitmi: BuyVM, too (both FreeBSD and OpenBSD).

Thanked by 1xaitmi
  • xaitmixaitmi Member
    edited March 2015

@tommy said:
    check these offer http://lowendbox.com/tag/freebsd/

digitalocean, vultr, prgmr also offer freebsd

Thanks Tommy.

Just checked my DO account and apparently I have $24 left in credits from last year, so I'll be using DO for this.

• @xaitmi said:
    Hi.

I need something low-end, just to learn about the OS as it's used at a place I will be working at soon.

Not going to run anything on it.

I have checked the SolusVM's of a few hosts I'm with (Iniz, Ramnode, Crissic) and none of them seem to have FreeBSD as an option

This is something we support on the KVM side of things :)

• I never had problems to get a FreeBSD image at any provider offering KVM or XEN VPSs.
    Whether those providers can also offer FreeBSD specific support I don't know. But I can tell you that a 256 MB VPS is plenty enough for some apps.

• trvztrvz Member

The easiest host for FreeBSD is Vultr, and DO has only a crippled version.

• bersybersy Member

atlantic.net for $0.99/month

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • NickMNXioNickMNXio Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2015

We have FreeBSD starting at $6/month -- http://mnx.io/pricing for more detail.

• @NickMNXio @bersy said:

Do either of you read the entire thread or just the first post? he already stated he choose DO due to having credit.

• said: I have checked the SolusVM's of a few hosts I'm with (Iniz, Ramnode, Crissic) and none of them seem to have FreeBSD as an option

If you have KVM VPS with us then it is available from the CDROM tab in the control panel

• We've BSD too (and have done since 2012 :)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@OnraHost said:
    NickMNXio bersy said:

Do either of you read the entire thread or just the first post? he already stated he choose DO due to having credit.

They probably did, but this may be useful to others who may need a FreeBSD VPS that are viewing this thread that do not want to use DO.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

FreeBSD has been available with us for quite a while... Where were you looking specifically?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

OnraHost said: Do either of you read the entire thread or just the first post? he already stated he choose DO due to having credit.

It's the LowEnd version of WHT's "check the offers/hope you notice my sig" :-)

• @Nick_A said:
    FreeBSD has been available with us for quite a while... Where were you looking specifically?

I was looking for a premade template that I could just hit reinstall on.

Solusvm > Reinstall > http://i.imgur.com/YIx7VMS.png

That VPS is on ATLCKVME5-1 if that helps.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Yeah, FreeBSD is available as an ISO/CDROM.

• @Nick_A said:
    Yeah, FreeBSD is available as an ISO/CDROM.

Okay. If my DO Credit runs out and I still have a need for FreeBSD I'll consider RamNode / BuyVM.

p.s. Just checked my RamNode VPS and it's close to over 250 days uptime. :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

xaitmi said: close to over

At times I read all threads to find gems like that :)

Thanked by 1perennate
  • @xaitmi said:
    I was looking for a premade template that I could just hit reinstall on.

Solusvm > Reinstall > (img)

While that is certainly feasible I would strongly warn any provider against it. In the end it would work as a trouble ticket generator.

Any FreeBSD admin worth even a quarter his salt wouldn't use it anyway but rather install by hand.

Thanked by 1vimalware
    edited March 2015

bsdguy said: Any FreeBSD admin worth even a quarter his salt wouldn't use it anyway but rather install by hand.

Because the BSD admins are so much better than the linux ones and always have a lot of time on their hands to install dozens of boxes when demand comes, because they do not have to troubleshoot their installs as often as the linux ones.
    Such right, wow.

• @Maounique

You mixed things up. You as a provider might have to quickly install a couple or dozens of boxes.
    I, however, was talking about clients - who do not typically setup dozens of VPSs (and if they actually did they'd know about scripted FreeBSD installs).

My point was: If you offer a funny little blah panel icon for FreeBSD you'll attract, uhm, not so competent adventurists who will create lots of support tickets.
    If you don't and merely offer a CD image then normal FreeBSD users will happily use it but adventurous noobs probably won't, such saving you tickets = time.

Maybe linux gpl fans should think a little more before feeling p-ssed but probably I'm asking too much there ... **g

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited March 2015

@bsdguy said: Any FreeBSD admin worth even a quarter his salt wouldn't use it anyway but rather install by hand.

I couldn't disagree with you more here! I happen to be exactly such a quarter-ass BSD admin you seem to be referring to, and unless you can point to specific security concerns, templates are always preferable to the ISO rigamole. Way more!

I, however, was talking about clients - who do not typically setup dozens of VPSs (and if they actually did they'd know about scripted FreeBSD installs)

Okay, I'll bite: do tell how exactly do you do multiple, scripted FreeBSD installs from ISO images at multiple providers, using Ansible for example? (as opposed to spinning up multiple VM's on demand, using API's and templates)

EDIT: compared to most Linux distros, BSD is a PITA to setup applications. So no worries about adventurous noobs adopting FreeBSD en masse, I think. Well, actually, not much of a PITA, especially when automated/scripted, same as Linux. But shshsh... lets not give them adventurous noobs any ideas, shall we? I mean, we don't want people migrating to BSD en masse, do we? ;)

• No matter linux or FreeBSD, who tells you that all them templates at diverse hosters set up something roughly equal?

As for the "oh so evil setup" of FreeBSD: It's about as simple as a linux, say debian setup.

As for the "PITA to setup applications": Pardon me, you tell BS. Usually the difference is that of "apt-get install ABC" vs. "pkg install ABC".

Worse though, you got confused, too. One issue is the providers perspective. The other issue is the clients perspective.
    Offering FreeBSD CD images will satisfy 99+% of FreeBSD users - and keep the provider trouble free. Offering templates will attract unexperienced "wanna try it" clients who will fill up the trouble ticket queue which is certainly not desirable for a provider.
    Even worse, even the experienced FreeBSD admins will come up with questions simply because their system is "convenience coated" and not what they are used to.

There's plenty linux distros out there for the less experienced. With templates and funny little icons to click on in panels.

• xaitmixaitmi Member
    edited March 2015

I can install it just fine, I just didn't wanna bother taking the time to install it manually even though it wouldn't take that long, or else I'd set it up on my computer at home through VMWare or install it on my HDD it's self as a sep partition to save money.

I wanted something on the fly so I just went with DO.

It's sorta like comparing Python to almost all other programming language.

In python you don't need to define any variables, their all "on the fly", whereas in other programming languages you gotta define variables before using them.

• @xaitmi

I get your point, but look, there just is some basic information needed to have an OS installed. All you could save with a template is less than 1 minute of typing (IP, gate, etc), assuming that the templates get filled in by WHMCS or whatever at all, and you get something for it, too, like for instance to chose whether you want ports or system sources installed or not.

And frankly, why would anyone want FreeBSD on his VPS rather than linux? Just because it starts with an 'F'? I think those of us who want FreeBSD on their servers want it for a reason and have enough experience to consider the installation process as quite natural and simple.

If the desire is just "some unixoid and simple, please" one is better served by debian or centos.

edited March 2015

bsdguy said: Offering FreeBSD CD images will satisfy 99+% of FreeBSD users - and keep the provider trouble free. Offering templates will attract unexperienced "wanna try it" clients who will fill up the trouble ticket queue which is certainly not desirable for a provider. Even worse, even the experienced FreeBSD admins will come up with questions simply because their system is "convenience coated" and not what they are used to.

This is much worse in the linux world. Templates are almost never what the customer wants, the very basic ones, do fit, however, as the user will fetch whatever apps needs, however, about filling the ticket queue...
    "Linux people" which know nothing are much more numerous than BSD ones, because many kids want to install their game/ts server and copy-paste some commands from a forum, without even updating the default template. Then come in their forums and cry to stay away from provider X and Y because they have a problem with security and their templates are hacked immediately if not already hacked at install. Those kids will not go the bsd way, because their gameserver will probably be linux-centric, same with "kloxo hosts".
    Should we all stop offering templates? Then, what we do with ovz? Install there from ISO too?
    I think templates have some issues, indeed, but we will always have to use them due to ovz, for example, the inexperienced kids will go for the lowest price and that is almost never KVM/Xen, unless they need windows, which is a nightmare in itself.
    I got irked by the "superior" attitude of the "BSD admin" more worthy than the linux one. There are good and bad admins, no matter their os, the proportion varies, only, because some people need a specific thing so need a much less used system, but, in order to need something specific, you must already be pretty advanced and specialized in a field.
    There are really good windows admins, for example, which are forced to put up daily with the grossly incompetent user and plenty of backdoors, and still manage to make it work without major security disasters, especially in the financial world, those are the real heroes on the IT world.