Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

uTorrent under fire for silently installing Bitcoin Mining software
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

uTorrent under fire for silently installing Bitcoin Mining software

PwnerPwner Member
edited March 2015 in General

Noticed this as a trending article on Facebook, figured it was worth a share:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/utorrent-silently-installing-bundled-bitcoin-mining-software

The piece of software, named Epic Scale, is a Bitcoin miner that purports to use your ‘unused processing power to change the world.’

According to one user, the software is ‘easily noticeable by the increased CPU load when the computer is idle.’

Unfortunately, the problem lies in the fact that users say they weren’t asked they wanted the software to be installed, although it must be noted that the uTorrent team flatly denies that silent installs have occurred.

Comments

• ChuckChuck Member

I haven't touched uTorrent after they put ads and crap. Not a (very) tiny BitTorrent client anymore.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• LeeLee Veteran

Move to General this is not an offer.

• ChuckChuck Member

Hehe.

• vedranvedran Veteran

utorrent is great, as long as you never upgrade. Each new version just adds new crap.

• Bunch of retards clicked Yes to the mining software.

• PwnerPwner Member

@Lee said:
    Move to General this is not an offer.

Oops, I thought I put it under off-topic. My apologies.

• LeeLee Veteran

@Pwner said:
    Oops, I thought I put it under off-topic. My apologies.

No worries, it's what I get paid for. Oh wait, no I don't :)

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • I don't understand why one would use a bloatware like uTorrent. For those a little nostalgic, there's still uTorrent 2.2 good, old and stable. For all others, there's Deluge or qBittorrent, all cross-plaforms: Windows, Mac, Linux. And free. And without ads.

• Uninstalled. Now using deluge to download all those linux ISOs.

• ReeRee Member

Deluge now here as well. Wish you could "paint" in the scheduler plugin instead of having to click each box, other than that no complaints.

• Utorrent is very good however each update is just pointless and just causes people to leave it.

Keep it simple, Keep it clean, Keep it doing the job properly...

• nadznadz Member

Apt-get install aria2

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Blanoz said: For all others, there's Deluge or qBittorrent, all cross-plaforms: Windows, Mac, Linux. And free. And without ads.

Yeh I tried qBittorrent but it did not contact all trackers, only the first one. On Linux I use transmission, but I think it had that "one tracker only" problem,too, when magnet links were used.

• uTorrent 2.2.1 is still good, if you can still find it.