Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server Connectivity Issues to my ISP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server Connectivity Issues to my ISP

camjac251camjac251 Member
edited March 2015 in General

I have a server with QuickPacket and while it has been great, the peering to my house hasn't been so great. I setup Speedtest.net mini on nginx on the server with php to test out my speed and it really varies and changes every few seconds, the results I get. I get 85/85 from my ISP and it is consistent but when performing the speedtest to my server I get 60mbps then it slowly goes down to 30mbps, a few minutes ago it said 10mbps for download. And upload says half the download. Just did it again right now and it gave me 80mbps. refreshed the page, did it once more, and it's back to 40mbps...

What could be the cause of this, is there an issue with the line to server? Or is it just the peering to me from the DC. I'm on FIOS by the way. And the server is in Atlanta.

Comments

• RizRiz Member

Sometimes ISPs will throttle based on the protocol. Otherwise, you could be on a shared switch that is hitting peaks.

• RyanDRyanD Member

Have you tried putting in a ticket to @qps?

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@camjac251 So you post a ticket to us, then post here 6 minutes later? We respond to tickets fast (we responded in 10 minutes), but come on. Why are you posting here this fast? Trying to drag us through the mud in public and stir up LET drama for no reason is not going to accomplish anything.

You were originally using a speedtest server in the middle of nowhere Kansas, which was giving poor results.

Verizon has peering issues to a number of providers at peak usage times. This is well known. We offered to try to re-route traffic, but you haven't responded yet.

Riz said: Otherwise, you could be on a shared switch that is hitting peaks.

No, there are no capacity issues on our network.

• First off: a speedtest.net mini thing isn't halfway near a good way to test real world usage, or accurate speeds.

There are just way too many variables.. server nic, switches, core router, QPS transit/peering, transit/peer's peers, ISP's transit/peering, ISP routers/switches, your modem/router, wired vs wireless, your computer.

Start with an mtr in both directions, see if there's packet loss or weird routes causing issues. When you notice slowness, try other downloads and see if they're also slow - this would help narrow it down if it was your ISP/stuff in your house or not.

Try some 'real world' usage too.. like at least grab a test file to see. I would also suggest you change your thread title, as it's kinda dickish to put this on them from the start when you probably haven't even ticketed them to see, or proven that it's a problem on their end to begin with.

• @qps said:

I posted here to hopefully see if anyone else had a similar issue with any host and was able to help troubleshoot the cause.

• @camjac251 - Maybe you start with the obvious things:

1. Traceroute to your server from your home connection

2. Traceroute from your server to your home connection

That will at least establish the path being taken and potentially highlight any transit issues.

mikeyur said: There are just way too many variables.. server nic, switches, core router, QPS transit/peering, transit/peer's peers, ISP's transit/peering, ISP routers/switches, your modem/router, wired vs wireless, your computer.

The only issue here is Verizon's peering at peak times. There are no other issues.

We offered to try to re-route over one of our other upstream providers, but again, we're like 30 minutes into working with the customer on this issue.

camjac251 said: I posted here to hopefully see if anyone else had a similar issue with any host and was able to help troubleshoot the cause.

That's not what it seems like. The thread title and what you tagged the post make your intentions pretty clear.

• @qps said:
    That's not what it seems like. The thread title and what you tagged the post make your intentions pretty clear.

I have cleared up my intentions, I have nothing against QuickPacket, much more helpful than the other hosts I've been with. I changed the title to further reflect the overall issue instead of claiming it's an issue with the company, and have removed the tags.

• @qps said:
    There are no other issues.

I don't know, good possibility of PEBKAC in this particular case...

Thanked by 2MarkTurner qps
  • Here's the output of the traceroute from my comp to the server and vise versa
    hastebin.com/afopuhilah.avrasm

• Secondly, I added a 1gb test file and downloaded with IDM using 4 connections, only got up to 25.6mbps on average.

• @camjac251 said:
    Secondly, I added a 1gb test file and downloaded with IDM using 4 connections, only got up to 25.6mbps on average.

You should respond to the ticket with your provider. Looks like an issue with your ISP's peering during peak hours, but @qps is willing to try some other routes to see if those are better for you.

If they're not, it's all on your ISP, basically. I get 100mbps service, but from about 6pm-midnight it can range from 60-85mbps - the rest of time, I can pull the full 100.

• @mikeyur said:

But if I connect to Softlayer Dallas right now, its 85mbps, and tommorow afternoon it's the same.

• RizRiz Member
    edited March 2015

@camjac251 said:

As you live in TX the routes do not travel all the way to ATL. This is where the peak congestion is.

Can you paste a traceroute from you -> Softlayer DAL?

edited March 2015

camjac251 said: But if I connect to Softlayer Dallas right now, its 85mbps, and tommorow afternoon it's the same.

I believe that Softlayer peers directly with Verizon, which is why there isn't any congestion.

Riz said: As you live in TX the routes do not travel all the way to ATL. This is where the peak congestion is.

The peak congestion is between Verzion (the OP's ISP) and just about every transit provider. There are a few that do have capacity, but it isn't very many. Even Level3 has peak congestion to Verizon.