Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can we know that a hosting provider is better than the other?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How can we know that a hosting provider is better than the other?

What are the criteria against we should compare to find a good web host.

Comments

• wychwych Member
    edited March 2015

Personal Experience is my metric but others may chose budget, support or location depending on their requirements.

• comXyzcomXyz Member
    edited March 2015

it's based on what do you need:

• reliable hardware/network

• fast and useful support

• cheap

Thanked by 1Techghost
  • Reviews, Reviews, Reviews

• My priorities are >

• Up time, which needs reliable hardware/network
    • Support Ticket Response time, I expect within 10 minutes.
    • Server Location
    • Price

I would test a new host by opening a ticket on a Saturday mid night to test their fast response :)

• uptime ,hardware ,io speed ,network speed ,location ,price

• 8bit8bit Member

@smartcard said:
    My priorities are >

• Up time, which needs reliable hardware/network
    • Support Ticket Response time, I expect within 10 minutes.
    • Server Location
    • Price

I would test a new host by opening a ticket on a Saturday mid night to test their fast response :)

Many companies don't reply fast to sales tickets.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Personality of the people running it is my number one, shit happens, it is how people deal with it and how they deal with you that matters.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @8bit said:

But it is worth, if you can make your Technical Support during the week-end to respond to the Sales tickets.

• serverguyserverguy Member
    edited March 2015

You can search for web hosting bench-marking studies.
    Read reviews and testimonials.
    Search the public conversations on Twitter and how people mention them.
    Go to the support or live chat of the hosting provider and see how they respond. Customer service matters a lot.

I am a Cloudways customer. And what I love there is that they have an amazing team of customer service available every time. They provide three kinds of VM's DigitalOcean, Amazon, & Google Compute Engine with many value added features.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited March 2015

@Techghost said: What are the criteria against we should compare to find a good web host.

Sniff, sniff… (use your "internet" nose ;))

Seriously now:

• try many for non critical stuff, then stay with the few hosts that proved solid
    • best way to save money on hosting (or anything else, for that matter), is not to buy any ;) so don't let price cloud your judgement; there are exceptions, but usually you get what you pay for
    • search LEB and LET for comments/reviews
    • pay special attention to host owner/manager attitude represented in threads/posts, then choose wham you want to do business with