Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS/DS for calculation tasks
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS/DS for calculation tasks

I need VPS/DS for calculation tasks (i.e., CPU cores will all be 100% used for extended amounts of time), with 4Gb or more of RAM, at least 2 cores at least 2GHz each.

Is the above possible for 20 USD or lesser a month? I would need such a server for several months.

(when I needed short bursts of intensive calculations, I used AWS spot instances; however, for long-term commitments they are pretty expensive for my tasks).

Thanks.

Comments

• nexmarknexmark Member
    edited March 2015

AbusiveCores from @drserver

Edit: seems as if they're sold out.

Thanked by 1drserver
  • @nexmark said:
    AbusiveCores from drserver

Edit: seems as if they're sold out.

Aye, and no real use sending them a note, since the server is required right now.

Thanked by 1drserver
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited March 2015

Have you considered whether a GPU is a feasible alternative? Just as a general interest thing. Sounds like you already have CPU code waiting to run.

• earlearl Member

http://www.kimsufi.com/ca/en/

Has i3 instock but $13.99 setup fee

Servercomplete

Intel Core2Duo E8300

4GB DDR2 RAM

80GB SATA-II Hard Disk

5TB @ 100Mbps

5 IP Addresses (1 Primary + Routed /30 Secondary)

Jacksonville Datacenter

Automated Provisioning of Servers

FREE Setup -- $20.00/month COUPON CODE: 5OFFC2D

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1459153&highlight=servercomplete

• @ricardo said:
    Have you considered whether a GPU is a feasible alternative?

There's no existing code to use GPU for my specific tasks (checked already). If calculations will be constantly required, I'll perhaps write such a library myself. So far, no, GPU doesn't fit.

• @earl Thanks for the reference to offer!

• Different cores were not born equal. What kind of CPU benchmark score are you looking for (i.e. www.cpubenchmark.net). Have you considered dedicated servers? Kimsufi KS-3 would probably be the best $ to CPU wise.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Vultr is probably your best bang for the buck if you want to abuse the CPU.

• Hello @MarkTurner

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • @rds100 said:
    Different cores were not born equal. What kind of CPU benchmark score are you looking for (i.e. www.cpubenchmark.net). Have you considered dedicated servers? Kimsufi KS-3 would probably be the best $ to CPU wise.

Something not extremely worse than passmark 15,000.

@Nyr said:
    Vultr is probably your best bang for the buck if you want to abuse the CPU.

I won't choose Vultr for certain reasons, but thanks for advice.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

Do you have any preference concerning location ?

• @Ikoula said:
    Hello,

Do you have any preference concerning location ?

None whatsoever. Data will be uploading/downloading rarely, and transfer speed isn't critical, unless . it's below 10MBit

So, any location will do.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

The closest offer i can do is a VPS 2vcpu 4GB 50GB 100mbs unlimited for 31$ / Month
    Pm me if interested :)

• Here are some dedicated servers options for you:

Dual X5150, 16GB RAM, 500GB disk, 1 IPv4, /64 IPv6, 5TB Gigabit, dedicated ILO/KVM - $20/month

http://www.delimiter.com/landingpage/servers2015/?p=X515016500

Dual L5420, 16GB RAM, 1TB disk, /29 IPv4, /64 IPv6, 10TB Gigabit, dedicated ILO/KVM - $39/month

http://www.delimiter.com/landingpage/servers2015/?p=L5420161000

Dual L5520, 24GB RAM, 1TB disk, /29 IPv4, /64 IPv6, 25TB Gigabit, dedicated ILO/KVM - $49/month

http://www.delimiter.com/landingpage/servers2015/?p=L5520241000

All of them include Interworx-10, Blesta, Virtualizor-3. You can reinstall the server from the provisioning panel, obviously no charge.

Add a second disk for free hardware RAID.

Prices based on quarterly, discounts are recurring.

• @MarkTurner said:
    Prices based on quarterly, discounts are recurring.

Thank you very much, your offers are well known for quality. Alas, I prefer month to month commitment ATM.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • VPSDime's Premium plan, max 8 containers per node with a dedicated core (@3.3GHz) on the lowest plan, 4GB ram - $20/m.

• @Silvenga said:
    VPSDime's Premium plan, max 8 containers per node with a dedicated core (@3.3GHz) on the lowest plan, 4GB ram - $20/m.

Thanks, I'll ask them about constantly utilizing one or more cores.

• @Master_Bo - you can get the X5150, 16GB, 500GB bundle for $30/month (month-to-month)

• @MarkTurner said:
    Master_Bo - you can get the X5150, 16GB, 500GB bundle for $30/month (month-to-month)

Unfortunately, it will also move me outside $20/month limit.

• CloudconeCloudcone Member, Patron Provider

It is better if you go ahead with a dedicated server since most of the providers will not allow 100% CPU utilization. Even though it's allowed it is most likely to be capped.

• FrecyboyFrecyboy Member
    edited March 2015

http://servdiscount.com/en.html

i5-750 (4 x 2,66 GHz)

8 GB DDR3

2 x 1.000 GB SATA

$18.65 / Month

• Master_Bo said: Thanks, I'll ask them about constantly utilizing one or more cores.

As a follow up, were you able to get access to more than one core?

• bersybersy Member

I guess @Master_Bo has already made his choice.

• GeekoineGeekoine Member
    edited March 2015

@Master_Bo: you can go with RunAbove: 2 steadfast 9$ instances, a small cluster with 2 cores and 4 GB RAM (cores and ram reserved, you can use them 100% all the time). It's 18$ total

• Update: at the moment, utilizing Amazon EC2 spot instances turned to be optimal. I still am looking for better solution, if one does exist.

At VPSDIme, only Premium VPS plans are allowed to monopolize assigned CPU cores.

• komputerkingkomputerking Member, Host Rep

Are your calculation io dependent at all? Depending on your needs, I'd be willing to setup a test VM for you to run tests on to see how hard it pegs the cpu. Depending on the bottleneck, I can put you on an openvz/kvm/xen, as I have some boxes that make use of a large amount of bandwidth, but little to no cpu that you might be able to plug away at.

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited March 2015

@Master_Bo wanna give E5 node a try? however @ $20, it'll be 2GB RAM KVM with 8 vcores. pm me if you want a trial