Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS Backup and then Restoring
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS Backup and then Restoring

hybridizedhybridized Member
edited October 2011 in Help

Hi, I have a VPS with Centos 5 64 bits installed on it. I use it mainly for OpenVPN and have configured it according to my requirements. I want to first make a backup of the whole server and then upload/download this backup file to my other VPS hosted with a different host.

1) How would I go on about making a backup file which is small in size and then how do I upload/download this file to my other VPS

2) How would I restore this backup in such a way that it overwrites everything when I restore it on the VPS from which I made this backup from.

I hope you can understand what I want to do.

Thanks

Comments

• I understand what you want to do but one question first. What if the new vps does not have the same hardware as the old one?

• AuroraZ said: I understand what you want to do but one question first. What if the new vps does not have the same hardware as the old one?

I think most of the changes will be taken care of automatically by udev and you may only need to keep fstab up to date.

• hybridized said: Hi, I have a VPS with Centos 5 64 bits installed on it. I use it mainly for OpenVPN and have configured it according to my requirements. I want to first make a backup of the whole server and then upload/download this backup file to my other VPS hosted with a different host.

1) How would I go on about making a backup file which is small in size and then how do I upload/download this file to my other VPS

2) How would I restore this backup in such a way that it overwrites everything when I restore it on a particular VPS

I hope you can understand what I want to do.

Thanks

I don't really backup and then restore the whole system. I manage important etc files using git so next time when you install new system you only need some scripts and etc files.

• I've edited my first post, maybe that's more clear now. I want to backup let's say VPS 1 then upload this backup to VPS 2 for safe keeping, then in future restore this backup back onto VPS 1.

• Any help with this guys? I'm sure almost all of you guys do this sort of off-server backups.

• is this openvz or xen. Either ways, if you are looking at getting the whole image as backup the host provider will have to do it for you if backups option is not enabled on panel.

• Both are OpenVZ, I can do a backup from my panel but it stores the file on my server. So how do I upload/download this image file on my other VPS for backup purposes? And in future how do I restore from this backup?

• You should be using Xen HVM or KVM if you need this capability. That way you can back up the whole image and transfer it from one server to the other, and change the grub partitions to boot from.

Hint: start with creating a loop disk on your OpenVZ disk and backup the OpenVZ disk into it, excluding some of the /proc, /dev and of course the loop image itself. The rest is left as an exercise.