Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's your Average MySQL memory consumption ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's your Average MySQL memory consumption ?

Hi all,
I'm no MySQL DBA or expert, and learning to fine tune it futher on my 5 different VPSs. All of them are running MariaDB... 2 are v10.1 another 3 run v5.5. All running default configurations with no tinkering on the my.conf's or tuning.

I have been monitoring and (strangely enough) the MySQL Average load remains around 700 - 900Mb

Now I'm wondering, :

a 2GB OpenVZ VPS Running 4-5 avg visits+DB wordpress sites (MyISAM only) consumes 700MB

another 4GB KVMVPS with 2 CakePHP + 2 Core PHP sites (mix of inno+MyISAM) runs around 800MB

another 8GB KVM VPS with 2 CakePHP high visit site, with a 6 GB Database (mix of inno+MyISAM) and 100K pageviews also hovers around 850-900MB

I'm trying to detect the similarity behavior here.

Also can you educate me how to read the HTOP VIRT | RES and deduce actual memory consumption? how can I monitor which site/threads are consuming how much memory exactly.

I'm scheduled to do some MySQL tuning and cut down my costs for VPSs. I've seen people successfully running (with Caching) massive WP sites on 512mb VPS only. Just trying to hone my skills to achieve something similar.

Comments

• stokestoke Member
    edited February 2015

There's a good writeup about how mysql uses memory here (and how to optimize) http://www.narga.net/optimizing-apachephpmysql-low-memory-server/

Generally I decide on a mysql memory goal per server, usually around 50-60% of total available memory, giving the webserver and php the rest, and then adjust the confs over a period of days/weeks using http://mysqltuner.com/ until I'm satisfied.

• @stoke,
    How often would you run MySQL tuner on your servers?

2 of my servers are 5 & 3 Months old... the other 3 are 2 and 1 Weeks old only.

Which are the first Safe settings to be implimented as suggested by mysqltuner ?

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited February 2015

On openvz multiple copies of MySQL on the same host server may share some memory space. I have a server running MySQL and it uses less than 150mb in total.

• stokestoke Member
    edited February 2015

You can, and should run mysqltuner often, you can change values at any time.

Here's an example from a 2gb VPS that serves some busy wordpress sites.

Current MariaDB memory usage: 1.1G

Maximum possible memory usage: 1.8G

(php-fpm: 360-600mb)

(nginx: ~96mb)

[mysqld]

key_buffer = 150M

key_buffer_size=150M

query_cache_limit=4M

query_cache_size=92M

query_cache_type=1

table_open_cache=1024M

sort_buffer_size=2M

read_buffer_size=2M

read_rnd_buffer_size=768K

join_buffer_size=2M

thread_cache_size=80M

connect_timeout=10

max_connect_errors=10

max_allowed_packet=1M

tmp_table_size=92M

max_heap_table_size=92M

thread_concurrency=8 # 2*CPU

default_storage_engine=MyISAM

skip-innodb

• vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND

22530 apache 20 0 363m 26m 4620 S 10.6 0.7 2:51.40 httpd

1617 mysql 20 0 1271m 32m 4360 S 7.0 0.9 724:17.90 mysqld

not bad on a kvm 8GB

• @suraj4u said:
    PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND

22530 apache 20 0 363m 26m 4620 S 10.6 0.7 2:51.40 httpd

1617 mysql 20 0 1271m 32m 4360 S 7.0 0.9 724:17.90 mysqld

not bad on a kvm 8GB

Depends on your definition of bad. If you have 8GB of RAM and your MySQL is being heavily used, you definitely don't want the memory to be low like that, it will slow down your system.

Memory is very good for MySQL. You want MySQL to cache results to speed up your queries and lessen the load on your disks.

Thanked by 2vimalware vpsGOD
  • Try using the MySQL tuner tool. Just run the following and it will tell what you should be done with your MySQL server to make it faster:

curl -sL mysqltuner.pl | sh

Another recommendation would be to switch to MariaDB and use the TokuDB engine (instead of MyISAM or InnoDB)

Thanked by 2mehargags aglodek
  • "What's your Average MySQL memory consumption?"

About 16GB (tuned!) in our MariaDB Galera cluster. It's growing about 1GB monthly.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @joshin said:
    About 16GB (tuned!) in our MariaDB Galera cluster. It's growing about 1GB monthly.

wooooo! wonder what's the Database Size ??? That's some serious DB transaction going on!

• :)

About 27GB in assorted client databases ranging from WordPress hosting to the energy production data for a green energy client.

@mehargags said:

• 0GB... SQLite <3

• Yeah MariaDB! mines at about 700mb, but I could probably tweak it a bit again. Add a little more memory. :)

• @TheLonely said:
    0GB... SQLite <3

interesting fact... I'm thinking of putting all my Wordpress (one by one ofcourse) gradually to Sqlite only... any major consequences ? I guess some plugins can have problem, but some of my hosted high traffic WP's use very few, bare minimum plugins all checked to be supporting sqlite properly.

anyone running WP successfully on sqlite ?

• @mehargags said:

I don't use WP so I cannot help you. But I just love SQLite due it's easy backup able and easier to host multiple databases without worrying about permissions.

• @TheLonely said: 0GB... SQLite <3

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "0GB"? And are you implying SQLite3 uses more memory than older versions?

• @aglodek said:
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by "0GB"? And are you implying SQLite3 uses more memory than older versions?

My MySQL uses 0GB/0MB/... RAM because I use SQLite. I use SQLite3. The "<3" is just a heart and not "lesser than three" :p