Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Enterprise grade secure domain registrars
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Enterprise grade secure domain registrars

vpslegendvpslegend Member
edited February 2015 in General

One of my friends got his account at domain registrar hacked & they even managed to transfer out domains from his account but he managed to get them back. The registrar agreed that hacker made use of a loophole in their account security. He is now asking me for suggestions for enterprise grade registrars where he can get peace of mind regarding his domains. A registrar who have secure domain registration/transfer mechanisms & also takes account security seriously. Paying a much higher price for his domains is not a problem for him. Can you please suggest such domain registrars?

Comments

• can you name the registrar, who have/had this loophole...

Thanked by 1vpslegend
  • TrafficTraffic Member
    edited February 2015

Fabulous.com holds many valuable domains.

Here are a few of the security measures you can enable, including hardware token.

http://fabulous.com/informationcenter/index.htm?formdata[qid]=1324

Thanked by 1vpslegend
  • MarkMonitor is used by some of the biggest names out there, such as Google, Amazon, Microsoft, and Facebook.

Thanked by 2TheKiller vpslegend
  • At which registrar that account got hacked?

Thanked by 1vpslegend
  • @TheKiller said:
    At which registrar that account got hacked?

I promised my friend not to leak it as he doesn't want to name & shame them (I don't know why)

• Even markmonitor's account at PKNIC was hacked. The fault was of course PKNIC's but it goes to show there are no guarantees with any registrar.

I suggest going with moniker's service where they do offline verification before allowing any transfers:

http://www.moniker.com/domains/domain-security

The best thing you can do though is make sure you have a strong password and look after the security of your own system.

Thanked by 1vpslegend
  • mycloudmycloud Member
    edited February 2015

MarkMonitor or CSC CORPORATE DOMAINS

• @Abdussamad said:
    Even markmonitor's account at PKNIC was hacked. The fault was of course PKNIC's but it goes to show there are no guarantees with any registrar.

I suggest going with moniker's service where they do offline verification before allowing any transfers:

http://www.moniker.com/domains/domain-security

The best thing you can do though is make sure you have a strong password and look after the security of your own system.

I can't find Moniker's pricing :(

• Gandi Has a corporate service.

They also have 2FA and you can restrict logins to an IP range / address. Their API is also pretty nice and their name servers support stuff like DNSSEC which most other registrars don't.

Prices are on a sliding scale as well, .com goes from $18 to $8.80 if you have qualify for the max discount for example.

• Gandi is dreadful, as a company we've had a domain transferred out of a hacked Gandi account. They were really unhelpful in dealing with it. It was actually Namecheap where the thief transferred the domain to that pulled out all stops to get it resolved.

CSC is quite common as is Register.com. Fabulous has a good few high value domains under their registry as @Traffic said.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Abdussamad said: Even markmonitor's account at PKNIC was hacked. The fault was of course PKNIC's but it goes to show there are no guarantees with any registrar.

The screen shot here is priceless:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/UGNazi-Claims-to-Have-Gained-Access-to-Google-s-MarkMonitor-Account-275789.shtml

"Why yes, it makes perfect sense to us here at MarkMonitor that the primary contact email for google.com should be a [email protected]".