Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do people pay more for KVM or XEN? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why do people pay more for KVM or XEN?

13»

Comments

• @lbft said: work at all (e.g. MongoDB without vswap)

VSwap doesn't always help. Most providers are limited on VSwap and hence will still crash it.

Thanked by 1lbft
  • @Damian said: They think they're getting a premium product, and are willing to pay more for it.

And in my experience, in real life it works out that way. Every one of my Xen/KVM lowend boxes has performed consistently well over extended periods of time. Rarely have I found an OpenVz lowend box that matches this level of performance over time (SecureDragon is the one notable exception). Which of course begs the question Why?

Which is fine, because i'm willing to charge more for it. I like money.

I like consistent and reliable performance, and I don't mind paying a bit more for it.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@vpsnodebox said: KVM has the most horrific, terrible I/O performance of any virtualization platform that I have ever seen.

Set the Guest Disk Cache to WriteBack if you want faster write speeds. It will increase your write speeds by over 250MB/s (it boosted ours from 200MB/s to 450MB/s in some tests).

• @KuJoe said: Set the Guest Disk Cache to WriteBack if you want faster write speeds. It will increase your write speeds by over 250MB/s (it boosted ours from 200MB/s to 450MB/s in some tests).

Caused us some memory leak issues though! We have had to switch back to no cache.

• KVM for me because I use pfsense

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@cosmicgate said: KVM for me because I use pfsense

Yep, and other *NIXes.
    However, I did try KVM WITH Virtio and performance is close to Xen-PV, however Xen can be deployed fast and it is a stable, thoroughly tested platform.
    In no test whatsoever, KVM outperformed Xen-PV in CPU even lagged behind signifficantly, however it does better than Xen-HVM but not signifficant.
    M

• In openvz, xen or kvm,

/proc/cpuinfo

show per core or per thread? :o

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@GetKVM_Ash said: If you want the power/functionality of a dedicated server, you go for KVM, simples. Im not saying OpenVZ doesn't have its benefits, for one faster reloads, a KVM re-install is not something i enjoy doing quite so often.

Pretty much this. OpenVZ is an amazing project, and I support it completely. Obviously, as I provide it. It is, however, a container pretending to be virtualization. It is going to have shortcomings and it is going to create problems for many common legitimate uses for a virtual machine. For that, we have KVM & Xen HVM.

@vpsnodebox said: KVM has the most horrific, terrible I/O performance of any virtualization platform that I have ever seen.

I have no issues getting almost the exact same results in a VM with virtio that I do on the host node. I frequently use KVM as a back end for my services (WHMCS, SolusVM).

• things like http://freevps.us/ovzmem.txt are an issue on openvz without vswap.

Thanked by 2Mon5t3r jar
  • @concerto49 said: which providers offer this right now? It's "possible".

We've offered that from day 1... useful for our own backups.

• @corehosting said: Funny that no one talked about SELinux.

I second this. This is one of reasons I prefer Full Virtualization and KVM is my choice.

Other reasons include support for all (including regular and custom) kernel modules, full iptables support (unlike in OpenVZ where iptables may be broken if correct modules are not loaded at host) and encrypted partition.

• @KuJoe Thanks for the tip:) I'm always concerned about data integrity as well when lots of cache is involved, but I'll run a few tests.

• ThreeMultiple strikes against OpenVZ:

1. Can't set system time in your VM.
    2. Can't write to entropy pool.
    3. Can't update kernel to fix bug/security issues.
    4. Can't set system config variables (TCP timeout, etc.)
    5. Have to rely on vendor to load desired kernel module (iptables, etc.).

That said, I do buy OpenVZ VPSs occasionally because they are so cheap.

I've sworn off VServer VPSs, though. EDIS taught me that.

• wlanboywlanboy Member
    edited September 2012

@swsnyder
    Correct. Vservers are the bottom of the line. The Vservers from Edis are right for ssh proxies, but everything else fails. OpenVPN, vnstat, etc not working, PPP not possible, killed PHP processes (even if 80MB RAM is free) if the php script is creating thumbnails for three 60kb pictures. Not usable even for a small wordpress instance. The support is fine but is not changing any settings.
    The links from UK are quite fine:
    Download speed from CacheFly: 5.97MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Atlanta GA: 2.45MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 2.58MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 1.30MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 5.57MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 6.91MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 1.70MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 2.59MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 242KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 4.80MB/s
    Quite the oppsite is VPSCheap.net. Not that I/O speed but solid with TUN/TAP even PPP is working. Support is as responsive as Edis but is changing settings and tries to find a solution.

So basically I am paying for Kernelmodules and a stable environment. I don't want to save up to 1$ per month to lose that.