Need storage space. Is OVH the best deal?
I have been coming here for a few months now (great site!) as I am in the process of creating some backup software that will require some servers – Just to be clear, it will be a couple of months before I pull the trigger though… just getting my ducks in a row at the moment.
It’s an EU-based (I live in the UK) consumer-level secure online backup product called Arkisto (Finnish word for “archive”) and it’s only a few months away from beta (hopefully!) so I thought I better get asking about hosting. Also I have bought arkisto.uk and arkisto.eu but I haven’t decided what one to use… maybe both, I don’t know yet.
The data is encrypted on the client machine before storing it on the server so the client is the only person on earth that can decrypt the files!
The primary priority for hosting is disk space and I have been running the numbers and it appears that OVH offer the best value around with their backup servers – These ones here at https://ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/storage/.
However, I have a couple of questions for anyone out there that can help:
- If I start small and then buy a bigger server will I be able to easily move data from one to the other, like, if I started with the FS-12T Atom server for the beta and then moved to a bigger one when the beta is done?
- Would a reseller be able to offer me a better deal than going direct with OVH?
- With the last server on that list, the FS-MAX, I am struggling to work out how the payment works. Is my understanding correct (let’s assume I start with 6 x 6TB disks)?
3a. I pay £237.99 per month until I decide to stop using it
3b. I would have to pay £1632.00 up front too for the 6 disks
3c. I would have to pay an additional £254.99 up front too for the setup fee
- Do you know of any other company that offers something similar? By this I mean disk space – I am not bothered if it is physical or virtual as all the heavy lifting is done on the customer machine and the server will be merely a store.
- I also noticed that OVH have a product called Hubic and it has an API but is there a reseller option? I can't find anything on their site about it... I would love to find out if I could just buy space as and when needed and use my custom application for the client machine.
Oh, one more question:
- Anyone interested in joining the beta when it’s ready? I will be keeping is small to start since I am bootstrapping it and can’t afford to go big yet :-)
Please feel free to fire any questions at me.
Oh, and I am not sure how the new EU VAT
nonsense rules will affect me either so I am seeking advice on that too.
Thanks in advance