Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linode 1,065% ... - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linode 1,065% ...

Comments

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited August 2012

@vpsnodebox I have used Linode and I know it for sure. Billing starts the day you start a linode and it prorates if you cancel. I'm not entirely sure why your talking about you're billing policies though.

• flyfly Member
    edited August 2012

linode control panel makes development and testing really easy. the ability to easily choose between PV-GRUB or a wide selection of linode-built kernels allows you to test different kernel configurations. In addition, you can create different boot profiles based on distribution, use, etc. Their control panel also allows for easy cloning, adding new linodes, destroying Linodes.

Not to mention the really fast support.

billing is prorated for the first of every month. I think you were confused about how you were billed. If you signed up on the 20th, you would have been invoiced for the rest of the month in addition to the next month in advance.

Thanked by 2jar Chan
  • @bdtech I was using our billing policies as an example to show how they prorate.

• Just moved one of our blogs from Linode to Ramnode.

Linode: Dynamic page generated in 0.441 seconds.
    Ramnode: Dynamic page generated in 0.033 seconds.

Plus with 30% off and a yearly payment it's about 75% cheaper.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • flyfly Member

comparing linode to ramnode is apples to oranges.

one is hdd's in raid, using the powerful xen hypervisor
    the other is ssd's using the derp openvz faux-virtualization "technology"

Thanked by 2Root [Deleted User]
  • @fly said: comparing linode to ramnode is apples to oranges.

I was comparing real world performance, not technology. As someone who has used Linode for 5+ years, I thought I'd chip in.

• PhoenixVPSPhoenixVPS Member
    edited August 2012

@serverbear RamNode has awesome pricing. After looking around we are making massive changes as well. We are currently updating our classic Xeon E3 VPS plan (more space, bandwidth and CPU time, wider network connection - 8GB plan gets 250Mbit, managed option) - I will let you know when the new plans are up so that you can update your site with them new pla specs and pricing, and around October 1st we will launch something called the Super VPS with 12 Cores, Raid 10 SSD, gobs of RAM and so on.

We are also updating our policies, getting rid of overage charges, rewriting the TOS to make it shorter, and so on.

Could you please email me at [email protected] and let me know where I can email you back our logo? I would like to send you one that's properly formatted and slightly bigger. Then one you got from our page is kind of meh... small and ugly. We are updating our page soon to make it better :)

We did a preliminary KVM benchmark on a 8GB KVM VPS, and if we get the I/O numbers where we want them at, the Super VPS servers will be all KVM instead of Xen. The benchmark was done on regular HDD on our X3430 testing server.

Again, awesome find on RamNode.

Thank you.

• RootRoot Member

I use Linode for a few DNS servers, primarily because they include IPv6 addresses and offer locations of great interest to me but specifically those where I did not yet have a presence with other upstream vendors. My servers there are not under any significant load, so I cannot comment on gauging performance, but I have been very satisfied with the high reliability and uptime experienced, advance notice of relevant maintenance via e-mail, flexibility of the Linode control panel, and especially their API.

• RootRoot Member
    edited August 2012

@bdtech said: Also, it appears they pro-rate by the day

@vpsnodebox said: @bdtech wrong, they prorate by the middle of the month, just like us.

@bdtech said: @vpsnodebox wrong? What are you talking about. They advertise their daily rate

@bdtech said: @vpsnodebox I have used Linode and I know it for sure. Billing starts the day you start a linode and it prorates if you cancel.

I believe @bdtech is correct. I've been a customer of Linode since July 2011; I signed-up on the third day of the month, and billing was pro-rated through the end of the current month, where subsequent renewal took place on first day of the next month, August. The couple times where I would cancel a node to try another location, they credited my account for the remaining unused time in the current month through the end of that month, not to the middle of the month and not to an anniversary date of initial order placement.

• flyfly Member

you know migrations are free, right? just open a ticket if you wanna migrate

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@Root said: I use Linode for a few DNS servers

Do people really pay multiple*$20 just for DNS?

http://dns.he.net/ just works, 5 DNS slave servers for free... geo-distributed, too.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • flyfly Member

well, reliability is where it's at.

• RootRoot Member
    edited August 2012

@rm_ said: Do people really pay multiple*$20 just for DNS?

Direct control over the name server and OS configuration is of great value to me, but it is primarily for the reasons previously stated that let me easily justify the cost. :)

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Very proud to host ServerBear's Blog!

• @Nick_A You provide great service, we will be using one or two of your VPS servers for some of our DNS servers if you don't mind ;)

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • In my experience Linode is absolutely fantastic. Great control panel, good performance and fantastic support. Their pricing, however, it out-dated. I've had 4 linodes and I'm now cancelling them piece by piece and switching to BuyVM and Hostigation. For the same money I get loads more with those two companies with the same performance (but probably better), the same support (it's awesome!) only with a little less fancy control panel.

• While I am a provider myself, I am also highly recommending RamNode (ramnode.com) - Their SSD VPS servers are fantastic with transfer rates close to 1GB/s. That's ten times what Linode has to offer.
    Linode, lets see: 5+ year old hardware, super expensive, mediocre performance... Uhm no, there is nothing that I love about Linode.
    On that note, we are switching from Xeon E3 servers to Xeon E5 so that we can provide better value to our customers. Unfortunately we won't be doing SSD anytime soon, so I highly recommend RamNode for their SSD VPS servers.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • @mpkossen said: I've had 4 linodes and I'm now cancelling them piece by piece and switching to BuyVM and Hostigation.

Pretty much the same, I can save a good $1k per year doing this.

• @serverbear Hey there, we are overhauling our servers and upgrading to E5's :) And all this to lower prices and improve performance ;)

• @vpsnodebox said: @serverbear Hey there, we are overhauling our servers and upgrading to E5's :) And all this to lower prices and improve performance ;)

This is an example of the shilling I was speaking about. You already said this one post above, and earlier in this thread and other threads, why keep repeating it if not to attract customers?

I don't think @severbear and @mpkossen are saying they are leaving Linode for BuyVM and me because of price only, but the service that comes with it, or the lack of needing support. Both @Francisco and myself use some very current hardware, we both also use some older hardware too, but the part that keeps all of us a step above the Linodes of this industry is the more personal service we offer the client. There are many here in the LEB space that strive to follow that goal as well. I see and hear lots of praise for many of us that are here offering services, we are smaller businesses that can react faster to a changing market, and all of us combined won't measure a blip on Linodes radar. The market is a whole for VPS is just that large.

• @miTgiB said: This is an example of the shilling I was speaking about. You already said this one post above, and earlier in this thread and other threads, why keep repeating it if not to attract customers?

I wasn't speaking to you and I'm really not in the mood today. I have said this before, but I will repeat it one more time just for you: I AM NOT HERE TO LOOK FOR CUSTOMERS!
    Can you understand this much ?

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

I don't think that a provider came here without any interest to look for customers. If would so you should change nick and signature.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@vpsnodebox If you're not here looking for customers, you're doing a terrible job of it. I'm looking for customers here, I'm not gonna lie. But that's my second reason for being here and I made that clear by only just recently providing vps.

Thanked by 2Root Chan
  • @avanti upgrading and moving customers around is not very much fun. At least I get to brag about it, lol (not about the upgrading, but about the fact that I'm trying to improve). Anyway, signature gone, and I already requested a signature change. I might as well just sign up with my name and call it a day. I hope that this will make everyone happy.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2012

Yes, facts are usually better than words :P

Edit : damn tablet keyboard :)

• @prometeus said: Yes, fact are usual better tha words :P

I agree.

• @jarland I learned as I go on, so I have an idea about what to do and not to do. I will post my bi-weekly offer from now on like everyone else and leave my business out of any discussions. And if I have something to say to someone I can always PM. Fair enough?
    In regards to my comments @serverbear, I was actually enthusiastically telling him that I was following some of his advice. Maybe I should have sent him a PM.

• @avanti Repeating myself maybe has something to do with lack of Zzz lately, lol.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@vpsnodebox You don't have to leave it out of what you say, it's just occupied a high percentage of the things you've said. Sometimes it feels like we're not getting to know you, but rather the spokesperson for your company. It's just a balance.

Thanked by 2miTgiB Root
  • @jarland believe it or not I appreciate the positive and negative criticism, and I tend to be obsessive compulsive about what I do at times, but that's just because I really love working with computers. I have grown to love the community here and I think that more than anything I can learn how to improve myself here :)

Thanked by 1jar